redwing

• redman
    Marion Iowa

Planning a trip oct. 8-12 and would like to know if any walleye/sauger are hitting with this cold spell the last few days and if so would the damn produce or best to head down river

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Numbers have been hard to come by. Just look to the weights that came in for the MWC tourney… second place on 5 fish?! Tough bite. The sauger / walleye bite up near the dam is JUST starting. Low numbers of decent sized fish can be caught but you better have the program together. I had a guide trip on Saturday and we finished the day with 11 keepers total… all from 16″ – just shy of 20″. No big fish for the day and the catch was split pretty evenly between walleye and sauger. Sunday was a bit slower and we did “dump” one larger fish at the boat that could have been around for a picture had the net arrived in time. I think we ended with 8 for the day. Crawlers on glow green precision jigs were the ticket. I can’t stress enough how well that color performed over the others we tried. 3/32 – 1/8 ounce fished on the sand up near the dam in 12′ – 16′ of water. Again, slow action. One, maybe 2 fish an hour. Not really much for small stuff yet either.

We did catch a couple fish each morning trolling jointed raps in front of Everts in 5′ – 8′ of water but that bite died by 8 am each day.

If bigger fish are your target, hit the lake. Cast or troll cranks along the shorelines or throw hair or plastics. Expect many more smallmouth and / or sheepshead than walleye.

The scenery is awesome and the weather has been crisp and enjoyable when the winds have let up for a few hours.

My guess is the sauger / walleye bite below the dam on Pool 4 really won’t really get rolling until mid – late October.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

redman
    Marion Iowa

Thanks James we will give it a try and if the eyes do not bite maybe we will try for some pan fish as we have been doing real good on the crappie and bluegill at pool 10 so they should be hitting up your way also!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.