Saugers are coming

• Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Just a quick report here on the sauger bite for the upcoming Saugerama on pool 4.

The fish are starting to show themselfs at and near the dam. The best places I found this weekend were any type of current breaks with either sand or rock. The current breaks I found were from points, wingdams, and near shore sand flats. My overall best presentation this past weekend was still trolling jointed #5 rapalas in blue or firetiger. We did have a few fish on each hair and plastics. I would look for the pitching bite to really pick up here any day now that the weather is cooling off.

Things are looking like they will shape up very well the next couples weeks to make for a great weekend for the tourny. I cant wait to see everybody there and share a few laughs and some good times.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

SHHH!!! Don’t tell or there will be 200 boats at the dam every Saturday in November. Jeez!!!!!!!!!!!

big_head_basher

I don’t think that matters with fishing this good you can expect boats anywhere!

Brian Lyons

Thanks for sharing an afternoon in my boat Eric
    We had a few fish and a lot of laughs
    With cooler temps I expect the trolling pattern to slow up and switch more to a pitching bite
    Some of the spots we hit on Fri. should really light up soon See ya Sat……B

redneck
    Rosemount

It is about that time of year again gentlemen. Summer is over and it’s time for cool days and fast action! Bring it on!!!!!

sbr_it

I got three dates scheduled off to come over and fish pool 4. Made it over once last year, but didn’t really do all that good. Hopefully I can get it a bit more figured out this year. I’m going to try and get some weekends in as well, but will keep those days for the less crowded Alma area.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

What was the water temp out there for ya Eric? Also there any so called “magic” number?

PaKarp

Eric,

Please talk (pray for him) to that son of mine, Willeye. He is abandoning his Walleye roots! Something about fly rods.

I am quite concerned! As any loving dad would be. lol

Pa karp

MountainCarp

Pa Karp,

Greetings from New York. The tone of your post gives me a sneaking suspicion that you are a little down in the mouth about fly fishing.

As simple response will suffice here: Those who can’t fly fish — jig minnows.

See you at Thanksgiving .

Your fly fishing middle son,

Carter

PaKarp

Ah, my 3rd son is now #1 on the list to the inheritance! All the bills, that is!

Pa karp

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Eric,

Please talk (pray for him) to that son of mine, Willeye. He is abandoning his Walleye roots! Something about fly rods.

I am quite concerned! As any loving dad would be. lol

Pa karp

Pa Karp and Mountain Carp,

You guys are hijacking Rehberg’s thread.

Back to the topic…What fly would a guy use to catch a sauger this time of year? Could a 6 weight rod throw a #5 shad rap?

Eric and Rich–You’ve both met the old man, but I’ve only talked to you on the phone or through emails. I hope you are believers in evolution, because his offspring have fallen far from the tree. All in fun of course. Our time on the water with Pops has been priceless.

Boatless and loving it.

Curt

redneck
    Rosemount

I feel your pain Pa Karp. My boy actually fished a bass tourney this Summer—the shame of it all. You try to raise them right and look at the thanks ya get—-fly fishing—thats a low blow. I guess when I think back I chased bass a summer or two so we can hope our boys outgrow these terrible afflictions. I will get the boy out chasing sauger next week so all is not lost yet!!!!!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I hear ya there PA. They will come around sooner or later. We just have to get them in on some of the good pool 4 action and they will be hooked. Something about catching 6 to 8 fish over 6lbs in a day does something to anybody’s mind. We will get them back on track here soon hopefully

It’s good hearing from both of you again, it has been a while. We still have to make that trip of you two coming over to fish pool 4 with me sometime soon.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

I thought I remember reading somewhere that when the water temp hits 45 the plastic bite really takes off. Does anyone have a website that shows current water temps. The one I usually access is down.

PaKarp

Eris,

Willeye and I have discussed arranging a trip with you on Pool 4 many times! It always seems like something comes up.

I would really like to come over and fish it with you. We are just going to have to set a date and stick with it.

Pa karp

ps of course we would have to fish the Minnesota side since I am a Vikings fan!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Eris,

Willeye and I have discussed arranging a trip with you on Pool 4 many times! It always seems like something comes up.

I would really like to come over and fish it with you. We are just going to have to set a date and stick with it.

Pa karp

ps of course we would have to fish the Minnesota side since I am a Vikings fan!

Well im a badger fan so I guess it wont work You guys set a date and let me know. After bow season I am down pretty much every weekend. Let me know when you get a date

The last I heard on the water temp was 61. One thing I will mention though is the water doesnt have to drop to 45 to get a great plastic bite going. There is a good bite starting right now

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.