Pool 3

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

Fished Pool 3 wing dams with my dad this past Friday and Saturday. On Friday we fished from about 8:00-5:00 and caught 7 walleyes scattered between 16-22″ and one at 25″. We found the best bite to be between 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. but maybe that just happened to be the time we hit some dams holding active fish. We also caught a Quillback Carpsucker, the first I’ve ever seen. On Saturday we fished from 9:00-4:00 and ended up 4 walleyes ranging from 18-22″ plus one at 27″. We also had a 3 lb channel cat. We caught these on jigs, Rapala floating minnows, and 4-6″ creek chubs.

We saw a bunch of bass guys prefishing Pool 3 on Friday but just a few on Saturday.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

This has been the pattern on Pool 3 for most of the summer and fall. Hit and miss…Sounds like you hit’em pretty good!

Tuck

Have you tried bucktails???

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

We fished for smallies on this pool on Friday also out of a white Triton 189 walleye rig (in case someone saw us). Question is: Are there not any smallies on that river? We caught 2 when they were going crazy on pool 4? Lots of good looking stuff. I know of 10 other boats that fished it on Friday and only caught one or zero fish. And we were one of the first ones on there. Seems like there should be more there. Same with pool 2. Lucky to get a tourney limit (8 fish if you could keep them) that would even measure. Lots of good structure there too. And this with total catch and release. Very few largemouth have I caught on pool 2. Just curious.

urbanrivers

I am with you about pools 2 and 3, lots of good looking water for smallies and actually in upper pool 2 I catch plenty but all of them small. Pool 1 holds a lot of small fish too. I was really impressed with the size coming out of pool 4. Fished pool 3 on Sunday during the tourney and got skunked, Caught a few on the rip rap but nothing with any size. Since we were out of the money, we stopped fishing the rip rap about mid-day and tried to figure out the wing dams. My partner read alot about how to fish wing dams so we thought we would put some of that information to use. Did not have a lot of success with that either. I wonder what the factors are that determine that whole size thing, because I don’t understand why size is so hard to find in 1, 2, and 3.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Tuck,

Yes, I do use bucktail jigs but I haven’t found them to generally be any better than a jig with a twister tail. I guess I haven’t fished many days where I’ve found the walleyes have a very strong preference for bucktails over the twister tails and with the twister tails it’s easy to change colors.

I fished today and played around with bucktails a bit more but still found the twister tails to be just as effective.

Thanks for all your informative posts. I fish Pool 3 a lot but don’t recall seeing you. You’re running a boat like James’ correct? I run around in a 16 Alumacraft Lunker with a 40 hp Honda. I going to start pheasant hunting pretty hard in a couple of weeks so I won’t be on the river as much. So many things to do this time of year!

Boone

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Tuck,

How have you been fishing the hair on these wingdams?

Thanks

DeeZee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.