Conservation officers breaking the law!!

• splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

As a current “state worker,” if or when a complaint comes in to any state office on an employee, regardless of being guilty or innocent, the state worker will almost always get a good taking to over it. It’s because we are expected to present ourselves in a professional manner at all times without letting our guard down – just because of situations like this. It’s either a river full of taxpayers watching, or it’s the channel 4’s “eye-team.” We are always supposed to be on that defensive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but after 20 years of municipal and then state government service, that is a fact.
    As an enforcement person myself (not DNR or police), I always hear of concerns, complaints and issues like those herein. It’s very typical when in an branch of enforcement. There is no excuse though, even when the issues seem like they are no big deal. If those guy’s (CO’s) were wrong, politely call them out on it. They absolutely know better anyhow.
    And as for someone here on IDA expressing their opinions and/or experiences on a fishing related matter, I say go for it. I think this issue is totally fine for board disscussion. Moreover, they should be able to say so without being hammered for it too. There are too many people on this board that just want to post an “at-a-boy” or some other “warm and fuzzy” all the time and never really say much more. ….I’m sick of all that too. There is way more to the world that just speaking one’s “happy” thoughts. There are bad things and bad times out there just as well. Speak/post your peace! Just keep it clean, read it twice before submitting it (to think twice about it), and do not personally attack someone. …..Remember, without expressive sound, typ-written words can be interpretated in may different ways.

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

On time I was stopped by a CO as i was out trout fishing the catch and release season. He checked to make sure my hooks were barbless, and then he started telling me about some of his favorite lures to use, including one that i had never heard of but it is now my favorite. All I can say is they have done so much for the sport and they cant get enough praise for it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am guessing, if a CO needs to respond to a emergency situation, he could create a wake in a no wake zone, or exceed the speed limit, just like a police officer can speed and run red lights. I agree too, ASSUME is what was done in the original post, it was assumed these CO’s were just blatantly breaking the law, hence the threads title. I also agree, free speech is great, as long as it is afforded me by the moderators here. I too have been guilty of judging things before finding out all the facts. Fact is, CO’s should be judged by their actions, not one or two’s actions. I am done now.

big g

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

OK, here is a situation that happened on Gull lake a few years ago.

I am out fishing with my father, a police chief at the time, when he gets a call on his cell phone. It was his dispatcher, a man was having a heart attack at a landing moments from were we where fishing. They were wondering IF he could get there fast since he was the closest help around. Closest other help was 15 minutes out.
    I am driving the boat on plane through a No wake zone getting yelled at by land owners the entire time. We arrive at the landing, my father jumps out before I dock. He runs up finds the man in serious trouble, starts CPR and continues until the ambulance arrives. The man survived and call to thank him a few days later.
    If I drove through the canal at no wake he might not have made it. Instead of the 30-40 seconds it could have been 2-3 minutes.
    If you were in that situation what would you have done?
    I did break the law and I would have dealt with my ticket if I got one. I did what I had too.

If you see CO’s doing wrong contact their supervisors and file a report.

As for this matter you know were I stand and I think I know were you stand so I am done with this conversation.

FYI, we did go back and talk to some of the landowners that were yelling at us to tell them why, everyone that we talked to said No problem

Ron

jeweler
    Wisconsin

As for driving through a no wake zone, I do not have a problem. The problem I am talking about is where they were driving very close to the other fisherman at a high speed. I dont have a problem with co’s or anybody, I am stating that they were close to causing more accidents on the way from the story. I am not picking on anyone for what they said/wrote, I am saying that they could have been more cautious and if they were doing something they should not have been, then they should be penalized for it just like every other sportsman or sportswoman would have been.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Anybody that knows the Bar Harbor channel knows its size, lets just say I was not the only one driving a boat in that channel at that time as it was the middle of June.
    Sometimes there is two sides of a story.
    I am not saying that those CO’s on the river were right I am just saying that there might have been a reason, and then again there might not be one.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Hey Bait Caster,
    We were checked by the same guys on saturday and I am pretty sure they were Wisconsin wardens. They had WI on their boat they were driving. These guys seemed like a real peice of work from our conversations with them. We ended up getting a lecture from one of them for something we had nothing to do with. Maybe we can all look to get names next time and turn them in.

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

I was not checked by these wardens. Like I said earlier I really didn’t think anything of it when they ran on plane thru all of those boats. What made me think about it was when we ran into the two guys from Janesville who said they were so close that they clipped a fishing line. Now maybe they were running to a call. If so, my bad for being critical of their action.
    I do agree our CO’s have a very difficult job to do. And I do appreciate them protecting our resource.
    I think we can let this thread burn out now.
    Bait Caster

chippee
    sw wi

even if i dont completely agree with it the law is the law and a title does not excuse it. we were told in our driver training as fireman that lights and sirens is not an excuse to run lights or speed which i am going to assume also applies to police and cos. do i break the law anyway in these situations yes if can be done safely because time is of the essence. however if you cause a wreck or injury while breaking the law you are screwed. we were shown examples of drivers who were sued and lost everything, a fine thank you for community service. which does make for a tough call sometimes, do you bend the law to do your duty the best you can or cover your but and play by the rules. dammed if you do dammed if you dont. a compromise of something inbetween usually prevails.

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

I was a CO for 5 years, its not easy pleasing everyone!!!

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

“two guys from Janesville, WI”…”They claimed”…”They said”

Can you say…HERE SAY.

“most of the line was peeled from one the rods”.

That sounds like something I would have to see to believe. To buy in to that statement, then come on here as if it’s absolutely true seems a little…

If you have a complaint take it up with the authorities. Problem is it’s not even YOUR complaint.

BIRDDOG

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

BD,
    You are right, it’s not even my complaint. But what got me thinking here is those guys told me about their encounter with the CO’s before I ever said anything about what I saw.
    Now I did call the WDNR today and let them know what I saw and what the two guys told me. My guess is you will not see this kind of behavior from them in the future. There was no harm done and the case is closed.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.