LEARNING THE RIVER?

• jmiller
    Blaine, MN

WHAT ARE SOME DIFFERENT THINGS A GUY THAT NORMALLY FISHES LAKES CAN LOOK FOR IN A RIVER SYSTEM TO CHANGE HIS SUCESS RATE. PERSONALLY I KNOW THAT A GUY IS NOT GOING TO CATCH THE PIGS BY THE DAM. ALSO SLACK WATERS ARE THE BEST PLACES TO LOCATE FISH. JUST A YOUNG KID TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE SPOTS TO EXPLORE AND PUT #’S IN MY BOAT. I KNOW I CANT LEARN EVERYTHING ON MY OWN SO JUST WONDERING IF YOU FELLAS THAT HAVE BEEN ON THE RIVER FOR YRS COULD TEACH ME ANYTHING.

hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

I would start by looking for indicators on the water surface relating to current and bottom structure changes. You dont neccessarily need depth finders etc one you learn to read the water. Theres numerous things you can look for out there. I would start by looking for seams in the water surface, boils, ridges of current disruptions are all things could that indicate fish holding structure below the surface. Downed timber is also known to hold fish. Areas where the current reverses flow below dams along the shorelines can be good at the right times.

Transitions from flats and dropoffs along bends in the river from the inside to the ouside of the river can also be good places to look.

Thats just a start, I’m sure there is going to be a lot of other info from some pretty good river fisherman following this also.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’ve fished the river pretty much my entire life. There are different things that you look for depending on the time of year and the specific conditions. Unlike lakes rivers are constantly changing so you need to be prepared for all situations. In the cold weather months you concentrate on specific depths and current breaks when walleye and sauger fishing while in the warmer weather months you tend to look more towards structure and current. For me river fishing is easier than lake fishing. You have to learn to let the current work in your favor. The very best advice I can give you is to spend as much time on the river as possible because no amount of information can replace time spent on the water. Learning to fish a river is a never-ending process because it changes from day to day, week to week and year to year. I might suggest that you try keeping a journal of your river fishing. Then you can go back and reference what you did at a certain time of year under specific conditions.

Eyehunter

krisko
    Durand, WI

I also have fished the river for years and it took a long time to figure stuff out…I now look back and wish I maybe should have hired a guide. There are many quality ones on this site that would help you out too. They can explain and show you tons of stuff that you would never think of…just a suggestion.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good post eyehunter. Nothing beat time on the water!

Here are 3 tips for success on Pool 4 early spring fishing for the new guy.

First is Boat Control. You need to put the boat where you want it and hold it there. You have current, wind and boat wakes/traffic to constantly deal with. I see many who are new to the river with absolutely no boat control or not even trying. Or others who are doing a good job with boat control but it consumes all of their attention and there is nothing left to give on the fishing side. It may take a couple seasons on the water to really be good at river boat control. Without boat control, you will not catch fish. Note, an anchor is great for boat control in many situations.

Second is Bottom Contact. This time of year you will catch the majority of fish hugging bottom. You will find many times that bottom contact is directly related to how well your boat control is. Keeping your jig on or near bottom is key to making contact with fish. Being able to “read” your line and “feel” your jig as much of the time as possible is key.

Third is Backwards Current. Or also referred to as “Current Breaks” These are areas where there is a distinct “break” in current often times totally reversing direction. Look for those seams to pop up literally anywhere from the dam to the head of the lake. They will hold fish, sometimes even a small break can keep you busy all day.

So, there are the three “B’s” (Or what I refer to as BC3) to keep in the back of your mind when you hit the river this spring.

Good Luck,

-J.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

People here have given you some really good tips.

The best I can really suggest is looking at the river like a river, not a lake. River fish act entirely differently than lake fish. Depth is not an issue, walleyes will go very shallow, and most of your fishing most of the year is going to happen in less than 10′ of water(yes, there are exceptions). River fish adapt to their surroundings and forage. Fis habits will be dictated by forage habits. The forage fish are not going to be getting tossed around in the heavy current, they are going to get out of the heavy current, and try to find cover for protection. Anything that breaks or alters the current in a river is something to pay attention to. Eddys, current seams, wing dams, snags, holes, dams, inlets, etc… all of these are very significant structures(some better than others) that will hold fish. Rather than look at a large section of the river, look at a small area and figure out if you were a fish, where would you be and why. Current seams are the easiest to fish. The fish are almost always relating very close to the seam, they can sit and wait with minimal current for baitfish that are staged holing out of the main current, or food to be swept in out of the current. Fish often use these seams and slack water areas while migrating, or moving from point A to B.

Reading the shoreline can also be very important. Often fish are pounding baitfish very close to shore.. the shoreline is the most significant structure.. fish will trap bait schools against the shoreline for an easy meal, and fish can also stage close to shore simply to keep out of the current.

I could go on all day really.. it simply comes down to relating to the structure and current variations. Once you do find a few fish, use what you learned to relate to other areas.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

This is one of those threads that a guy ought to print out and hang on the wall in the garage! Some very good advice here.

I don’t have anything to add other than to say that I started fishing the river last fall (Pool 2), and everything that Jon and Dave said is right on the mark. You can’t look at it like a long skinny lake! For example, I spent a lot of time fishing deep for Walleyes out beyond the ends of the wingdams and in the holes. River Walleyes can be caught down there but when they get agressive they are up on the top of the structures, maybe in 2 or 3 feet of water. It’s taken me a long time to realize that the fish are either biting on a spot or they aren’t. Don’t get married to a spot because the fish sure don’t. Jon’s comments about boat control are spot on too. You’ll notice the guys who are really good on the river position themselves very precisely. I still struggle with this. A good anchor and a long piece of good rope have helped but I still get fooled all the time. Between the current and the wind when I drop the anchor I end up in an entirely different place than I thought I would.

I thought I new what I was doing but Pool 2 has been a humbling experience. That’s good because it’s making me learn new things and in the process I’ve had a lot of fun.

Good luck this summer, your going to like this river fishing stuff!

Rootski

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

This is all great advise
    The one thing I think that is missing, if you have no experience on the river like the Mississippi I would recommend taking the Boater Safety Class. This will keep you out of a lot of trouble!

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

I really appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me. This will be used for many yrs down the road. I really appriate it.. Thanks Guys and thanks IDA for this website.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

PERSONALLY I KNOW THAT A GUY IS NOT GOING TO CATCH THE PIGS BY THE DAM. ALSO SLACK WATERS ARE THE BEST PLACES TO LOCATE FISH.

I beg to differ sir!!!!!

This fish was caught on the 22nd of March 2 years ago, very close to the dam…….She tipped the scale at 9.7lbs

Jon J’s. advice is not only critical, it is crucial!!!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

The only thing I would slightly disagree with is that you shouldn’t get married to the bottom. At times the fish are off bottom and sometimes significantly. And those fish that are off the bottom are feeding. Bottom is where I start and this time of the year maybe the place to stay. But a lot of fish get caught up off the bottom too. Let the fish (and the baitfish) tell you. Good luck!

dd

dd

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

I know there is acceptions but what are the chances you are going to pull 4-5 of them by the dam in a day. I am looking not only to catch a fish like that but just learning how to make myself a more intelligent fisherman in different situations. And during different times of the yr. I know i could sit up where all te boats are and catch saugers all day( if i am lucky) but i am looking to find other advice of things to look for and do thoughout the course of a day on the river to make myself a better fisherman. You know what i mean? By the way that is a pretty nice fish

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Those big ones are there…….you just can’t “sauger fish” for them.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Another bit of advice would be to go slow. Pay attention to your electronics and maps and whatever else you have for input. I used to zoom a lot until I found the bite was often best 100 yards from my landing. It is a big river and it takes time to learn a whole pool. Lots of people look for perfect spots. I’ve always done best on spots that aren’t pressured as much.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

One day last year I saw close to 20 over 7 pounds caught within sight of the damn. It’s just harder to fish right with all the boat traffic, people get in the way, and sometimes completely prevent you from fishing the way you want to. People like going down river to get away from preasured fish, and find a little more peace and quiet. There are big fish every were in the river almost any time of year.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

here are a few simple suggestions I would keep in mind.

Keep a eye on this site for current river reports. Bites can change often and there may be several going on at one time. Pay attention to how the fish are being caught.

Time on the water. This may be the most important factor. Spend time practicing the tecnics you have read about.

Maybe hire a guide. there are several good ones on this site that can help jump start the learning curve.

Enjoy all of your days on the water. You may not have great days of catching fish every time but that does not always equal a bad day of fishing. I have had some great days where maybe no fish where caught but still learned plenty about river fishing.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

For those of you who don’t know, Wellman has 5 foot long arms. That’s really just a 4# fish!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Gal dangit Crossing Eyes!!!!!!!

You just let the cat out of the bag!!!!!!

steinw1

Just curious what your experience has been on the river now, how things are going. Did you take or look into the Boat safety class? I’m not new to river fishing, just the mississippi, and I’m trying to learn about the area above the Coon Rapids Dam, close to my house.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I would say there is a fairly steep learning curve in the beginning but as you get better you will find that current makes finding fish easier and the more current the better, you will get a feel for the kind of current the fish your after likes and when you find that kind of current you will find the fish. I think you need to perfect vertical jigging, wingdam fishing and pulling cranks. Again time on the water, you will learn to love river fishing more than lake fishing. Good Luck

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

I learned a lot this spring in just spending time on the water and a little help from Dean and a few others. The biggest thing is to pay attention to the little things and watch what others around you are doing and having success at. I would say thought the biggest thing is having a very understanding wife that lets me fish as much as i do. Time on the water and experiment with different presentations has taught me a lot.

rrouff
    Aledo IL

I have found the initial learning curve to be long but after two years its starting to pay off. I started out by hiring a guide. Then reading anything I could get a hold of about river walleye fishing. My time on the water is limited. The most help I recieved was from two very generous people I met on this site who are very willing to share thier knowledge. I consider both of them as good fishing buddies. (Thanks)
    I seem to share the addiction of fishing for river walleyes.
    I positively agree that the river can be deadly if not respected. Be safe and enjoy the challege.

At least in my area some of the better spots are the least crowded if it looks like a good spot try it.

Jeff

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

PERSONALLY I KNOW THAT A GUY IS NOT GOING TO CATCH THE PIGS BY THE DAM. ALSO SLACK WATERS ARE THE BEST PLACES TO LOCATE FISH.

I beg to differ sir!!!!!

This fish was caught on the 22nd of March 2 years ago, very close to the dam…….She tipped the scale at 9.7lbs

Jon J’s. advice is not only critical, it is crucial!!!

Gary is me or do you look better in this picture.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.