3-ways & Stickbaits vs. Handlining

• tgif

A couple quick questions….

When using 3-ways to pull stickbaits what size or length of stickbaits are the most common? 2,3,4, or 5 inches??

Do you use the same length stickbaits if your presenting on a 3-way rig or handlining or does one means of delivery give a better presentation than the other for different size stickbaits?

What lengths of leaders would you run from a handlining rig if you were targeting 10 to 25 feet of water using stickbaits? How far generally do you run the leads up from the weight/dropper??

When water clarity diminishes on Pool 4is it more productive to increase the size of the stickbait, go with a rattle style crank, or go to the same size you normally use, but with more of a high visibility stickbait?

Thanks for the help…TGIF

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

On 3 ways I like to start a little smaller on the stick baits in the spring and work up in size as the water temps climb through the season ending up with the big boys by fall-#13 rapalas, Husky jerks etc,however I have produced some of my biggest fish in the spring on large stix,dont be afraid to experiment. With the Mississippi waters continuing to get more clear through the years chromes and blues (or combinations)have been a consistant “Go To” in cranks or the natural colors,black-silver. Stained water I like to switch to Fire Tiger, oranges ,etc with rattle chambers preferred. The rattling rogue is still one of my all time favorites. Sorry,I personally dont know enough about the handlines to offer any info but it looks deadly if presented correctly . Oh,did I mention purple stick baits? Fast becoming a hot color for stick baits and cranks as companys are finally coming out with fantastic purple patterns

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I will just chime in on what I usually run on pool 4 3 way cranks….Most common I run is a 3 to 5 oz. bell sinker in the spring time with a 8 to 18 inch droppers depending on if i am in mud or rocks or sand. With rocks i go a longer dropper with lighter line so it breaks first if i snag..next the bait..usually a 3 inch or so minnow most times I use stamina inc. stick baits because they are cheap to loose!!! I put on my own split rings and trebles and all with a 3 to 5 foot leader depending on the situation I am in and usually a 10 to 12 pound mono for a leader (6 to 8lb. mono on my dropper). I run my main line with 10 pound or so fireline in Diawa line counter reel. For plugs I use larger lures as well bigger rapalas and storm stick baits and also I use a snap to connect the lure as well I think it helps the action of my lure and can change often looking for that go to bait. Speed is BIG I feel somedays you are just creeping upstream enough to be gaining ground while the next morning you could be ripping through the current or with it down stream it is all a game trying to figure the fish out, but the one thing is do not be affraid to change baits AND location fish the spot and if they are not hittin there move on and find the aggresive fish! Finese fishing is for jigs not cranks I always say in the boat.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

See we posted at the same time anyways I have a quick question as well I was thinking about last night…has anybody found larger trebles to hold fish better as well…it recomends #8 and #10 trebles for 3 inch minnows but curious if a #6 treble would A)HELP and B) will it affect the action of my bait…anyone have any experience trying different sized trebles?

marty_hahn
    New Prague,MN

Erick,
    I can add my experience with 3-ways and sticks.
    I have experimented with larger trebles but instead settled on a good quality treble of the same size. I have used triple grip trebles by Mustad for years. I do feel larger trebles change the action on sticks, especially those made of balsa.
    Hard lines, slow and steady on the way to the boat, a rod with a little forgiveness and the good trebles will get most fish into the boat after the hook up.
    Just one man’s opinion.
    Marty

Brian Lyons

Marty, would you share your thoughts on dropper and leader length? Inquiring minds want to know.

marty_hahn
    New Prague,MN

Brian-My dropper length to the sinker will usually start about 16 inches. I will tie on a new piece if I get shorter than a foot due to break offs. Shorter than 12 inches seems to be where I start seeing my catch rates decline.
    When running one bait I will use about 50 inches of leader.
    When using 2 baits on the same line I will go about 40 inches to the first and 18 to 24 inches to the second.
    Any other questions, fire away. Too cold to float a boat so we just as well talk about it.
    Marty

eyebuster
    Duluth

Maybe a dumb question but can somebody fill me in as to what handlining is all about

jeff6771

try doing a search on handlineing

eyebuster
    Duluth

I did and it gave me no matches for the last two years

Ok finally it showed up

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Instructional Diagram

For line I like 25 lb Berkley Clear XT. It doesn’t get tangled when brought into the boat like lighter line does.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.