Trolling on the Flats

• wilk71
    Albany, Missouri

Planning on coming up for three days starting May 20th. Last year at that time we did good on the flats at the head of the lake trolling crankbaits. Just wondering if anybody has an opinion wether or not this bite will be going by then again. Thanks for any info.
    Brian

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’d say its a prett safe bet.

wilk71
    Albany, Missouri

Thanks James. We have gotten a lot of rain down here in Iowa and I was wondering what the river and lake conditions were looking like up there. Thanks again. Brian

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well… fishing was very good today early in the day and again late in the afternoon. Caught quite a few fish between 18 – 23 inches pulling plugs, long lining raps, in 6′ – 8′ of water out on the north end of the lake. The water is much dirtier now with the river rising quickly, predicted to hit 11′ + according to Vick at Everts. The river was a bit of an annoyance with lots of small debris floating but the lake was tolerable.

With your posted arrival date I’d expect you’ll show to see very high water that is slowly receeding. It is May so my guess is there will be a good – great bite to be had. I did fish the flats today and the current was really cooking and all I had was shorties to show for my time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.