Thanksgiving weekend walleyes

• walzer
    Afton, MN

With the long holiday weekend and perfect weather, what better way to spend it than fishing for walleyes on Pools 2 and 4.
    Thanksgiving morning my dad and I were down on Pool 2. The conditions were perfect with no wind and mild temps, although the fog was pretty thick in the morning, which made things interesting. We quickly had two fish to the boat on our first wingdam. We jumped around spots a bit as the action cooled down when the fog burned off and the sun was shining. We fished for about 4.5 hours and ended up with 4 fish making it to the boat with a couple of fish coming undone before making it to the boat. I also had the pleasure of meeting fellow IDA’r Rootski down there that morning. It was great meeting you and hope to see you down there again soon.
    Saturday we headed down to pool 4 to fish the Turkey Combo Tourney. I haven’t been down there for a little over a month so I didn’t know what to expect. From all of the good reports I was pretty certain we could manage a good limit of fish. I hit a rip rap section right away in the morning with nothing to show for the efforts, so up to the dam I went. I started connecting with some fish, but the size was really lacking. We hung out up there trying to find some better fish but it was just not happening how I expected. We went down to the Vermillion area and found some better size. We ended the day with a few fish to show for our efforts, but it just didn’t go as planned. It was great to see Dean again. He’s a heck of a guy and runs a great operation down at Evert’s.

walzer
    Afton, MN

One more fish from the same wingdam after the fog lifted.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice looking fish Walzer. We tryed during the day yesterday and didnyt get anything going. How late in the mornig have you been taking fish?

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Walzer Nice fish
    and thanks for making it to the Turkey Combo good seeing ya,

walzer
    Afton, MN

Mike W,
    There’s been a pretty decent mid morning, mid afternoon bite going on. We usually get a few fish right away in the morning and then a slow period from about 10:00 until 1:00. Then the bite picks up again from around 1:00 until sunset. We have caught fish at all times of the day, but those times seems to be getting the most action.

Nate,
    I had a blast fishing the combo tourney. Nice to see you too and I’ll be sure to make it next year as well.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Walser,
    Great couple of Walleyes,
    Congrats..
    Jack..

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

VERY nice fish.
    Thanks, Bill

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Great looking fish!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Good to see ya! Thanks for coming down! I hope you guys will save one of those for me in the near future!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here is some of our thanksgiving walleyes. Havent had much luck during the day but it has been a great long weekend of fishing. Was able to spend 4 of the last 5 nights on the water and here is a sample of whats going on.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

3 I think this one was int he 26″ range and hit 7,14 on the scale. Guess turkeys are not the only critter being stuffed for the holidays

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Chartruse pepper ringworms have been a hot color as of late. The last 2 nights chartruse pepper/ white core has been hot. Wensday night firecracker went well but the fish where realy active that night as we took close to 20 off of one wingdam. The other nights where a little slower on numbers but still cant complain about the size. 1/8 ounce and 3/32 H2O jigs seemed to work real well with the flow right now. Most of the fish seem to be hitting on the very top of the dams. Getting the lures to swim just the right way over the tops is key. Sudden stops in the retreive ral helps some nights.

I want to say thanks to everone I got to fish with over the weekend. Ratherbfishn, John23, Nathanial and JoeS made for a great weekend of fishing. It was a blast. The fish in these photos and alot of others did not always come real easy. It realy does take some work to stay out after dark and chase these fish but often anough big walleyes can be the reward. Thak again guys and hope to be back in the boat with you soon (sticking big walleyes).

walzer
    Afton, MN

Great looking fish Mike.
    I haven’t fished down there after dark. Looks like it’s producing pretty well. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Nice fish guys.

When you are out after dark you are working hard for them.
    Everything you do takes more time.
    Great Job.

ratherbfishn
    St Paul Park MN

Thank you Mike!!! I had fun and it was just a perfect night to be on the river. These last few night might have been the last like it the way it sounds. Thanks again for the seat and a good night of chasing some eyes!!!!!! I still cant believe that 26″ almost broke 8 lbs

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Nice fish Guys!

I was able to make it down there late Friday afternoon and swapped a few for Chart. Peepper ringworms with Mike. It was a little slow for us but we managed a few fish. Thankis agian Mike. I hope to get down to P2 more often.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.