Fenwick Rods?

• BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

I just bought a Fennwick rod. It is a HMX, IM7 graphite rod with fast action, Cross-Scrim construction (?) 7 foot spinnning rod in medium light action. I like it I guess. It seems to be a bit limber and I worry about hook set power. It does not feel as sensitive I would like when I use really light jigs for casting if it is windy. Anyway, I paid 20 dollars for it brand new. It this a good deal? I have never owned a Fenwick before.

Bob.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Fenwick does make some very fine fishing rods but I’m not familiar with the “Cross-Scrim construction”.

Regardless of who made it, if you only paid $20.00 for it brand new, its probably not going to be a very sensitive rod.

Your going to have to be willing to part with a bit more money in order to purchase a good, sensitive, graphite jigging rod.

JWB

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I belive with MOST rods you buy you get what you pay for. Depending on how serious of a fisherman you are, a rod like that may be great. The way you are talking makes me think you have a good idea of what you are doing and I would suggest a higher end rod. I’m not to familiar with the Fenwick rods but I’m sure they have an upper end rod that would work great. One way I have been able to test the sensitiviaty on rods without fishing with them is to have someone put the rod tip on their throat and talk. Close your eyes and see if you can feel the vibrations through the handle. If you can feel them you have a very sensitive rod.
    With all this being said, paying $20 for a brand new rod is a steal of a deal.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Bob, Any idea what the regular price is on this rod? Was it on sale?

I agree w/ Walleyefool though. You get what you pay for.

Walleyefool, I got out w/ Brad in your old boat. It’s awesome! Brad is lovin’ it too! Thanks.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I think the HMX is usually around $50.00. It has been a decent rod for Fenwick. The IM7 blank is decent, but definately not the best that Fenwick has produced. I jig with a HMX 6-1/2′ medium light and it’s pretty decent. I like my HMG’s better though.

BobB
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin

I would guess you are correct that the HMX is not the best rod Fenwick makes..at least I would hope not. At 20$, I thought it would be a good back up rod if regular ones ever broke. Still, medium light is awefull soft in the tip. I would like to get a medium weigth rod for the money and use it as an emegency rod, or a nice slipp bobber rod … who knows. Perhaps a medium weight rod would better for jigging. STill, it would never be my go-to walleye rod.

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

Bob, It’s not a bad deal as said before it’s about $50.00 to replace the rod. I think the medium light (probably has a Moderate tip) may be a better rod for cranks than it would be for jigs. You may want to look for a Med to Med Heavy with a fast or extra fast tip for jigs. The tip will mean more in sensitivity than the action type. An x-fast tip will bend back to about the top 20% of the total rod length, a fast the top 30%, and a mod tip will bend in the top 40% and so on. The slower the tip the less sensitive it will be. The action will be noticed more in the fighting of the fish as that describes the back bone of the rod. If your rod had a fast or x-fast tip you would think it was great rod for jigging. Mark

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Andy,
    Glad you had a good time. It was a great boat for me also. Just wanted a couple of more options. Full windsheild for the lady was one. Im glad you both enjoyed it.

By the way that rod should work great for a back up rod. Like you said I wouldnt put it at the top of my list for a go to rod. When or if you do go out looking for new rods take plenty of time to look around. The prices you find should stay similar from store to store. Be sure to test a bunch of rods before buying. One other thing to do would be to make a post and say what you will be using the rod for and ask for others opinions on brands. That should give you a good starting point.

Bassn Dan

That should make a nice light action walleye rod, and would be great for panfishing also. I love the ML 7′ Compre that I use mostly for panfishing and it’s handled larger fish without a problem. Sounds like a great buy to me!

Dan

Greyghost

I like those rods the same as you described. I use vanish 6 pound line fish with the line on my finger dont miss many. Great deal……

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.