Lower Pool 2 help needed

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve been putting a lot of time in on Pool 2 lately. The fishing has been excellent, averaging about 6 fish an hour. The only areas I’ve fished so far are from Pike Island(MN/Miss confluence) up to the Ford dam. My best areas have been the hwy 5 bridge and right in front of the hidden falls landing.

Well, here is my dilema: I only have a few hours in the evening to fish so I go where I know there are fish. I want to learn more of this pool, but due to time limitations I don’t want to travel downstream a long ways. I’m also very concerned that the fish won’t be holding below the MN/Miss confluence. As you know, the MN is one nasty dirty river. It’s been my experience that fish just wont tolerate that dirty water when they don’t have to. I know some move downstream, some up. Well, I’ve covered the ground upstream. Do any of you guys fish this pool enough to tell me how far downstream I have to go to get back into the fish?? Any general areas you can point me to?? Am I way off base thinking the fish won’t be holding in the real dirty water??

Appreciate any and all replies!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Waterfowler

I wouldn’t give a second thought to the reduced water clarity south of the MN/Mississippi River confluence. I have had many conversations with guys that fish the wingies on the middle to south end of the pool from early summer through fall that claim that strectch is THE area to be fishing!

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Hey Waterfowler, I agree with James. In fact, with the lack of rain lately, the river is clearing up nicely. I was out last night and launched at the 494 bridge access. In 3 hours we caught 5 walleyes and about 20 sheephead. One of the walleyes was 23″. We were using spinners and crawlers. Tonight I’m going to try pulling cranks in the same area. I’ll let you know how we do.

Mike

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Check out the Pool 2 Telemetry study that can be found in the article section. I’m sure you’ll find this interesting.

Boone

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I was down on Pool 2 on Saturday early am to about 2:00pm

I started out about 6-8 miles south of 494 hitting wing dams. I did not find alot of fish there buth the ones I did find were nice. Biggest being a 27″ This wing dam action will really excel in my experiemnce real soon and continue strong until November. The white bass and smallies took over where the eyes left off. That kept me busy the rest of the morning. The recreational traffic then got pretty busy down there about noon. Like James said, do not give that dirty water syndrome a second thought. There are fish to be caught down here with little to no pressure.

Good Luck

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Middle and lower Pool 2, how far down do people fish this time of year? Downtown? Pigs Eye? Further?

nubbinbuck

If I was to target Pike on the lower stretch at this time of year, what might be an appropriate area and/or technique?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I was south of Pig’s eye lake by about 9 miles.

I normally fish from the airport to about 15 miles south of

494. Pig’s eye lake is just north of HWY494. I put in at 494 access and go up or down from there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.