Spinners

• brian
    Southern MN

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on fishin spinners for walleyes. I have never tried it on the river only on the lakes. What is a productive blade size? Indiana or the regular blades? Has anyone had success with the new holographic blades?

Do you try to mimic shad, perch, or craw, hammered or shiny smooth blades?

What do you tie up spinner rigs with line wise–4, 6, 10 lb mono? or is fireline better to tie up with? What about flourocarbon–is it worth the extra bucks?

Alot of questions, but I hope some of you that use this technique on the river or Pepin would share a little of your spinner wisdom.

Thanks in advance for sharing your info on this presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’ve been having pretty decent luck using a regular colorado blade in a firetiger pattern and fishing them both in front and behind the wing dams. Also found that I’m catching more fish on crawlers although lots more sheephead too! Leeches have caught less fish, but usually no rough fish. I’ve been tying them up with 8 pound mono so if I really get hung up, I can break off. Using about a 5 ft leader has worked best for me. I find that the color can be a little depth dependant too. If I’m fishing 3-8 ft on the sand, I’ll switch to hammered silver.

Just my experiences. Good Luck.

JimW
    SE MN

I do enjoy the holographic blades by Northland. They seem to really reflect nice and burn well!! Also, I prefer hammered colorado’s more than others. Start with running 3ft. leaders, adjusting length from there. Get too long and you risk picking stuff up with your hook!! My 10 cents! Good luck! Jim W

jigger2001
    Rochester

Dito to the hammered blades(chrome or brass) seem to work best in all kind of conditions. As far as the rig it self I have been making a rig using wire about 3″ long and it seems to work out better over all. And as far as burning them throug the water the zing. And even in lo speeds they have no problem. But best of all I can go down to 4lb test and not have to worry about blades cut the mono.

Jigger2001

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I would have to say that spinners are to walleye fishing what cranks are to bass fishing, jigs are to panfishing, flies are to trout fishing… etc. One day the fish will want an orange colorado blade, the next day they won’t touch it. As with any kind of fishing, it’s best to just keep some limited variety on hand, and don’t waste a lot of time if the fish aren’t hitting what you’ve got out there.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have messed around with using fireline as the leader material for spinner rigs. It is a bunch tougher than mono but if you ever get a little tangle on the working end the beads, hooks, and blades get permenently snarled and you’re forced to trash the whole rig. The extra limpness of the line VS. mono or wire is the culprit there.

I’ve found no reason to run flourocarbon on rigs in the river…. or at least no reasons relative to flourocarbon spooking fewer fish. With the generally low visibility levels in the river, flurocarbon doesn’t offer much of a benefit in that regard.

Flourocarbon is quite abrasion resistant though. If you need leader material that will withstand a little abuse, flouro does a good job in that application.

I typically go with a 10 mono… Trilene XT (Green) is one of my favorites and takes abuse well and I’ve NEVER seen an instance where fish in the river were able to detect this line with the result being fewer bites. If I go much lighter than I’m losing fish due to nicked line or from gradual wear from catching small numbers of fish. In my opinion, once I’m running 6# test or smaller, the rate that the line wears out reaches an intolerable level and is totally unjustified given the clarity of the water.

I like hammered silver when running single hook rigs with leeches and hammered brass when pulling double hook rigs with crawlers. JB Lures use to make a spectacular deep cut colorado blade, brass on the front, orange back, that was an absolute killer on the river. I can’t find those anymore and I’m down to my last few blades. I really wish I could dig some of those up. I’ve also had good success with some of the perch or firetiger patterned blades from northland.

I usually stick to sizes #2 -#3 for most applications with leaders running 3′-5′.

Good fishin’,

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

brian
    Southern MN

Thanks for the help guys!!!

brian
    Southern MN

Pulled spinners north of the lake today—-no fish on that, but I did catch some tackle and for once I beat the snaggy Ole Miss in one aspect! Seemed to be a tough today and hard to find fish of the right species willing to bite. Did anyone else have any luck on sat. or sun.?

BobKnutson
    Austin, Mn

We fished from south of Lake City, tried the Wisconsin Channel and made our way to the Red Wing Dam. Other than a catfish several shitheads and one sauger….well you get the idea.

Bob Knutson

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Saturday was really good…. Sunday slow. I was off the water after a half day so I don’t know first-hand how the afternoon went but I was told by a very reliable source that it didn’t get any better.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I managed to find a pocket of hungry fish Sunday morning just before dawn on my favorite clam bed. Wouldn’t touch anything I put down until I dropped a plain hook and leech in front of there noses. Got three nice fish in 20 minutes then nothing the rest of the morning. Must have just been in the right place at the right time I guess, wish the time would have been longer!

Edited by Rooster on 08/13/01 12:36 AM.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.