Sheepie trolling

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Anybody else out in the heat today.Trolled from Pepin Launch

and headed upriver.Tried all different depths between 4-16 feet and drifted some deeper water.Trolled all the way up the lake untill I was across from Lake City.Tried 3 way rigs spinners and leeches, crawlers, wally divers and shad raps.The walleye win again.Two big sheepies,and two very large somethings,One broke off and one got off near the boat when it was close enough to see the trolling board again.No walleyes but plenty of sun.Started about 6:00 AM untill 12:00 two of us 4 rods in the water steady.I can’t wait till some cooler weather.Are the walleye’s at the far end of the lake or what???I’ll be back maybe put in up the lake and try more in the river.The Chippewa is plenty high enough today.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve not heard anything positive coming from the walleye guys fishing the middle portion of the lake. I spent some time this week chatting with guys in the launch at Roschen as they came off the water when I brought customers south from Red Wing to clean fish….. boats were averaging LESS than one ‘eye per boat. Not good odds. Some decent sized whites, no big numbers yet, and a few crappies were the highlights. I am hearing the bite north of Maiden Rock and No Point is good on some days if you want to stay on the lake.

I’m still finding good numbers of good sized fish to the north. Friday were were off the water by 1 PM and had caught and released several dozen legal eyes including 2 -24’s and a 27.5″.

Your approach sounds solid… likely you just need to relocate to get on active fish.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

leinieman

Thanks for the clue.How about another?Are you fishing the river north ot Red Wing or the Wisconsin Channel? Gary and I gave it a good shot today in some of the same area’s that we fished with you last year.I believe we fished with you towards the end of August.Hey it all adds to experiance and it is always fun to be out.It sure was a cooker out there today even early was hot.I here tomorrow will be hotter.I enjoy fall fishing when you don’t work up a sweat just setting out lines or launching the boat.Some clouds would help and maybe a breeze would be nice.good luck tomorrow for whoever is going out.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The answer… both. Actually, all three. To clarify…. there’s spots holding fish north AND south of Red Wing…. plus in the WI channel. I typically hop spots… the runs in the boat keep us from melting into pitiful puddles of goo and there seems to be a bunch of spots holding active fish. Which is good news for someone trying to learn the area. If there’s only one or two spots holding fish, well, then a guy’s job is a heck of a lot harder.

James Holst

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I fished Pool 3 today. I got started around 8:30 and caught 17″ and 25″ walleyes and a couple of 14-15″ saugers, plus a 3-4 lb flathead and a bonus mooneye. My wife joined me in the afternoon and we targeted smallies for a couple of hours. I found a school of very active smallies Thursday evening and we went back there and they were still there but not quite as aggressive. We still caught several casting Storm Baby Rattlin Chug Bugs and Rooster tails down over the wingdam ripple line and retrieving it back up stream. (Went out with James a couple of weeks ago and learn some of these techniques). We had several 14 inchers but most were smaller. After that we ran Dubuque rigs across the face of a wingdam and picked up 4 walleyes (17″-19″) in about 45 minutes. We caught the walleyes on both the jig and trailer. These fish didn’t hit very hard. They just seemed to grab it and stop.The bite seems less consistent than it was a couple of weeks ago. The fish seem to come in spurts with long periods of no fish, at least for me. I didn’t find the heat to be too bad. The breeze picked up enough to evaporate the sweat and cool you down. In fact, when we anchored above the wingdam, the wind was actually blowing the boat upstream. I saw several other fishing boats out on Pool 3 today.

leinieman

Thanks James,It looks like it’s gonna be hot today. Next trip up the rivers around Red Wing or the channel.I understand spot hoping but it’s hard to do if you don’t know the spots.I always think if I cruise around and keep trying different spots what happens is I should have been fishing instead of cruising or I should have been cruising instead of fishing which is the case yesterday.Oh well 6 hours on the water,now I kind of know that section got to play with boards and didn’t have to clean any fish.Good Luck today if your out.Hey James how much beer did you go through last year at the get together?? And do you need any for this year or anything else that a person can help with?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My strategy for learning home waters just a bit better is to unearth one new spot each time I get on the water with the chance to go exploring. A guy can’t possibly hope to learn it all in a life time so nobody can expect to learn a big chunk of it in a single day.

Last year we floated an 8 gallon keg with thirst to spare. This year we’re likely to need more…. how much more is anyones guess. If you’re willing to help us out in that regards, shoot me a private mail and we’ll talk a bit. I thank you in advance for your interest.

James Holst

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.