First walleye

• freitag
    Osseo, WI

Went out Monday lower end of pool 4 with my 8 year old. Very windy but glad to have it with the heat. Unfortunately, the sun still burns…despite 3 applications of sunscreen. Does that stuff have a shelf life? Anyway, we predominantly dragged jigs at the lower end of Pepin. Don’t know if that’s what is referred to as the willows? My 8 yo outfished me 4 to zero…had to be the different jig head colors….first pass he lands his first-ever ‘eye at a healthy 25 1/2 inches. He’s caught several sauger while doing the vertical thing in spring, but never an ‘eye until today. I’m sure the neighboring boats thought I was overeacting a bit, but who cares. Several high fives, photos, and a release followed. His other fish were 2 smallies and an 18″ eye for the livewell( not the smallies – relax). This kid will fish all day.. any day…I have just not taken him out to target walleyes before, other than spring vertical jigging. Great Day! Just wanted to share.

emover
    Malcom, IA

You should be proud!
    That is a very nice eye for anyone, for someone’s first and you say he’s 8
    I seem to remember fishing for the 1st time when I was about that age, watch out, if you think he’ll fish all day now, wait til he gets older Isn’t this a fun addiction

dave

MrTwister
    Dubuque, Iowa

Great fish and great story.
    My 8 year old is looking forward to his first walleye. I am taking him verticle jigging this fall too.

* PS – Sunblock does have a shelf life of a little over a year. I learned that after my kids got burnt last year with old sunblock on.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I don’t think you can make too big of a deal out of any fish caught. Especially one that big for his first. What a way to start!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Sounds like a day you both will never forget
    Nice fish dudes

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the replies guys…and info. on the sunblock – that certainly explains the red glow and inability to move most upper body parts. I was actually embarassed when my he told me that this was his first walleye…I could’ve sworn he caught a one previous…as much as I have taken him fishing…though we tend to target the easy to catch variety (green carp/bass)when I take him out.

sbr_it

Great story and pics. I have a 4 year old and like to get him out. Hopefully by time he is 8 he will enjoy fishing as much as yours. He hasn’t hit a walleye yet, just bluegills, crappies, and white bass. I’m sure his time is coming. I’m hoping to get him his first bass this year. Savor the moments, as I’m finding out that catching the fish is just a bonus. The best part of the trips is just spending time fishing with your kids.

Andy

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Great report Tagger- My son (4) caught his first walleye about 3 weeks ago. It wasn’t 25.5 inches, more like 10 inches, but a first walleye none the less. He hasn’t stopped talking about it and telling everyone he meets for the last 3 weeks. You should be proud, and you can never make to much noise when your having fun with your kids. Love2Fish

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Great first walleye. He’ll remember that one for many years.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

nice picture, and nice fish! keep on fishin.. best of luck!

iceman62
    Baldwin, WI

You have him off to a great start in the eye’s. Keep up the good work. Looks like you have a fishing partner for life!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.