Upper pool 4 report

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

The walleye fishing on the upper part of the pool last week was as hot as the air temps with several 22″+ eye’s coming to the boat for my partner and I with the biggest a little over 28″. It seems a little bit of everything is putting a few fish in the boat from jigging and rigging to trolling cranks. The most productive presentation for me most of the week was a small jig and leech or one half a crawler just dragging bottom on a controlled drift down stream, casting cranks on wing dams also produced some good fish. All of the eye’s over 22″ came in 8’ of water or less with the 28″ coming in only 3’ to 4’ of water along with some nice 24″ and 25″ fish mixed in thruout the week. One thing that realy was a key ingredient to this pattern is to fish sand flats with clam beds on them the fish are holding on these clam beds in large numbers right now for how long this will last that is yet to be determined but enjoy it while it does. The head of the lake is producing some good action for 15″ to 18″ walleye with an occasional 20″+ fish mixed in as is the WI back channel the best presentation is to troll cranks until you find fish and then slow down a bit with bait to get the less aggressive fish in the area and don’t forget a wise man once proved to me that if the live bait thing slows go back to your cranking stick! White bass fishing has been a little slow on the upper end right now according to the second hand information I have received from people who target them, the fish that they have been catching have been shallow in faster moving current use lipless crank baits and jigs worked very aggressively to get bit. Small mouth bass can be caught throwing jigs or crank baits along the rip raped shorelines on the main river the good thing about this is there always seems to be a walleye or two mixed in for an added bonus. All in all I couldn’t have asked for a better week of fishing but I am glad to be back here at FTR giving you the scoop on the upper end of the pool!!!! Luck to all and I will see ya on the river! Dustin

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I was starting to wonder where you went! Good to hear from you and as always, thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us!!!

brian
    Southern MN

Is there any way to narrow down where to find clam beds besides catchin’ them. Are they native to certain bottom compostition or structures? Just curious.

Brian

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Brian,

Good question! Clams in my expierience seem to hold on sandy bottoms with a little bit of curent. With the high water we had this year it does make it a kittle easier to find some of the clam beds all though not all of them, just look on the shore line and you will usually see clam shells laying there. I am no clam expert but I am sure some one out there knows more about them than I do and if they read this I am sure they will help you out!

Dustin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.