SuperDOOd on Pool 4

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Well.. today was spent on the river with a great guy.. Nate Cadwell…. Ive attached a pic of Nate with his largest fish of the day…. and of course just below one of me with my smallest fish of the day… (geeee this is FUN! he who owns the camera can write his OWN story!!)…..
    Im sure Nate will soon be placing a report.. and I dont want to steal his thunder… but SuperDoos were Super…. dark colors were best for us….. more details will be provided by Nate Im sure… and no doubt I will soon be dead!… but at least I can have this brief moment of triumph……

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

and heres my “trophy”……

(dont let the pix fool ya… we did pretty darn good!) and actually you can see that Nate got a bit of revenge with this pic!!.. my honey asked me.. soooooo which one is the sturgeon???

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

and heres one more reason to launch at Everts.. check out this sunset!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Wayyyy Niccccce !!

Seems you got that camera workin real good for ya buddie

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

RiverEyes,

Ya know what I just did??

I Right Clicked on that picture and set it as my Wallpaper!!

Great Shot.

Thanks,
    J.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Jon, Which pic is your wallpaper? The sunset or the one of Nate and his big fish?? Couldn’t resist Nate! I have Nate and his 9.7 lb. eye as my wallpaper so thats why I thought of that remark. Bill

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Rivereyes
    I would have to agree with your title SUPERDUD on pool 4. you snagging machine you.
    and you know after thinking about what your wife said you do look just like that sturgeon that holding you .
    I’m just glad I didn’t get that thing on my chubby (OUCH)
    but seriously thanks for the great time on the river and turning me on to the Superdoos.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Rivereyes, Anyway I could talk you into giving us a little seminar right here on the site about how you fish superdoos? I know you have become pretty good at catching eyes on them so how about teaching all the rest of us. I also know that B-Fishin-Tackle in the EFN Store has them so which colors do you suggest we buy? Thanks, Bill

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Hi Bill!….

your too kind!!.. yeah, I can catch fish on SuperDoos… but like they say… if I stand tall its cuz I stand on the shoulders of Giants… those like James and company who have went before me….. but sure I will give ya my secrets… such as they are……

first the presentation…. you can call them SuperDoos as in they SuperDOO catch lots of fish…. but you can also call em SuperDONTS….. as in DONT MOVE THEM!!…. not even a TWITCH…..

Secret #1. drop them to the bottom.. lift them up, usually 3-6″ for me… but sometimes even higher is good….. then HOLD THEM STILL… the fish will just POP em… its a very easy way to fish… your up off the bottom anything you feel is a fish!! (well, ok.. the bottom changes a bit and occasionally you “tick” the bottom……)

only move the Doo on occassion to drop it down and “check” how far off the bottom you are… I would say I hold it still at LEAST 10 seconds maybe even 20-30… I found the other day the LONGER it sat still the better!!

Secret #2….. Colors… well this is not very secret!! colors sometimes make a BIG difference.. On the 13th I tried every Color I had, all except chartruese caught fish… but the top three are in the photo Ive attached….. the blue was by far the best for me for numbers… but for size it was the 2 dark colors shown below it…. everyday is different… James spoke of doing well with orange/brown… I did NOT have any of those and I wish I did… that is OFTEN a good color combo…. my color advice is if you can swing it, get every color kit there is… and pull out all them colors and try one every drift …. you just might find ONE color thats puts multiple fish in the boat every drift….

Ive had good luck with the colors in the shad imitator kit, the classic walleye kit and the crayfish kit… and the only reason Ive not had luck with others is that I dont yet HAVE them….

Secret #3… I like to use compressed heads as opposed to round ones… it seems to make a difference and IM not sure why!……

well.. thats it… about ALL I know!….. but others know even more….. all I can say is dont dismiss SuperDoos as some kind of fad… they are different than ring worms or anything else… and sometimes they ARE the ticket.. they have put limits + into the boat for me on my last 2 trips….

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

Ken, you use the NuckleHead jigs on these, right?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Hi Leo…..
    you know what? Ive not really experimented suspending the nuckleball jigs.. I like them SOOOOO much for a bottom presentation that I reserve them for THAT…. so maybe someone else has used them… I really love the design of those jigs.. the hooks are perfect sized and sharp….. the jigs nicely balanced….. dont be afraid to try them for this… but I was using a jig that was flattened dorsally…. or as I like to say squashed like a bug… looks like a round head that someone kind of stepped on then streamlined…. the SIDE profile is the same width as the SuperDoo…..
    Im going to be stealing ALL of Nates thunder, but heres a pic (attached)I took the other day of a Doo I was using laid next to a shad that was expelled from a nice sauger…. note how they are nearly exactly the same length!!… and the head on that jig was one I was using with great success that day…..

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Yeah Nate….
    funny with all the posts we had about how sonars are such snagging machines and for some reason I snagged way more fish with a SuperDoo then you did with that Sonar!! but my theory is that a Sonar is NOT the best snagging lure……. Ive always snagged more with jigs… I think they sneak up on em better…
    but dont worry! fellow FTRers… all snagged fish.. and most of our other fish all went right back where they belong!…. (thats the river, NOT the live well!! )

SuperDud hmmmmm? you are of course referring to how well your main motor was running?? *gotcha*
    and yeah.. I look forward to getting out with you again!… next time I will bring a tripod so I can run my camera on SUPER Macro… so I can take pictures of ALL your fish!!…… instead of JUST the largest!!…. *gotchax2*

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for sharing the info. Nate came home sick from that day out on the river and went to bed. Friday he felt better so he went out deer hunting with Jessies Dad for the weekend so he hasn’t done any reports yet. Thanks SuperDude, Bill

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I am looking for THAT very mold, got a few of those from Hutch down South on the river some time ago. What kind of mold is that and where did you get it?

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Nate, I’ll contact Hutch.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Ken,

I’m with you on that style of jig head on the doos and other shorter plastics… For ringworms I believe the round head is a better style though, I haven’t really put that much mind into this theory but again it seems the round ball floats the longer tail of a ringies better? Meaning holds the worm horizontal versus a tail drop.

Also I’m refering to drifting these plastics and not a casting technique.

Thanks for the insight,

Keep catchin’
    Turk

fireline
    Rochester

Are nuckleball jigs and oddball jigs one of the same ? Does anyone have the Mfg address ?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Turk….
    good points… thinking about it I find I use a round head for ringworms too….. most recently I use the nuckleball which is a round profile from the side… but flattened from the front… I really like these for ringworms.. and for dragging ringworms….

Fireline…..
    Oddball jigs was the original name for nuckleball jigs…. so they ARE the same…..

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Fireline, The “World Class-Big Tournament Winner” Nuckle Ball Jig might look familiar to you as it was the “Old” Odd’ball Jig Bait Rigs Tackle Co. used to license from Fin-tech Tackle Co. It is the jig that Daryl Christiansen won the PWT Super Pro Tournament with and Dale Stoschein world record ice walleye was caught on. They are sold in kits by B-FISH-N Tackle in the EFN Store. I don’t know if Fintech will sell the jigs in single colors or not. I should be able to find out for you as I’m sponsored by them. Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Fireline, You can buy the kits in the EFN Store which come in kits with different mixed colors and sizes. Fin-techs website is http://www.fin-techco.com

fireline
    Rochester

Thanks Bill .

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Anytime. Don’t hesitate to ask anytime if you have questions. If I don’t know the answer I’ll try to find out for you. Bill

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

I “Fished The River ” on wed and after reading and re-reading the post was able to finally get fish in the boat with my Superdoos…..I’ve been fishing them wrong …and after reading…(again and again so I remebered)..I Landed Fish time and time again…Thanx for the EXCELLENT Info Guys

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah thats KEWL!! Swamy…. they are dead easy to use…. BUT you HAVE to use them right!…. and I think the word “dead” is very appropriate… just pretend your superdoo IS dead… hold it DEAD still…. and you will succeed…. and DONT put bait on it…. not only is it NOT needed… it actually wrecks the presentation…..
    Im sure not the original SuperDood… but Im definitely a CONVERT!!!….

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I fished them all day today up at RedWing and kicked butt in our boat to the point my other two fishing partners cried fowl and demanded I share some with them. The bites were hard, and I have become a 200% convert to these things, and like most baits, color did play a part. Today the crawdad color was just awesome.

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

supperdoos,frist time I USED THEM 3 wks ago must have a fish count of 80 +/-. I love them!!!! got fish from 8″- 23″. I NEED HELP how or where to find bigger fish.Ifish pools3&4.I am new to RTR new to this computer stuf to.Ihope this gets out to all for some advice! thank you.

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

Swany… this riggin tip, might help you some too. Having lots of feed-back… what I am hearing is that the Sawger are just nuts for the “brown over orange” color that is in the Custom Colors Kit (from the EFN Online Store) to the point that it has been just fish-after-fish for some guys up by the dam on pool 4.

Have fun… fish !

Dave Hoggard

We should be fishin’

B-Fish-N Tackle Co.

Riggin tips for Do’s….

http://www.fishtheriver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=pool4&Number=11064&Forum=pool4&Words=Super%20do%27s&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=11064&Search=true#Post11064

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I feel like a proud papa here….

Dave gave me the opportunity to “create” a couple custom colors for his last custom production run. The natural purple minnow and the brite craw were the color combos I sent to Dave. I must admit though, when I first saw the craw pattern, I wasn’t totally convinced we’d hit the nail on the head. Good thing the fish think otherwise! Thanks a ton for the opportunity Dave… too much fun. Its pretty awesome to know that “our” color isn’t available ANYWHERE else! I have lots more ideas too, let me know when you want to build a few more…lol

Oh yeah, about those 5″ doos…. I’m letting the cat out of the bag here… they’re the bomb! I love ’em. Better tail. Larger profile. The tube section is a bit long but I’ve just been shortening that with a quick pinch between my fingers. I don’t know where you found them, but lets talk colors some time soon.

If anyone’s interested, I’ll post a comparison picture showing the 4″ doo side-by-side with the 5″. Big difference but the very same concept.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

PFLUGGY

To run into some bigger fish, you’ll need to pull yourself off the “numbers” and spend more time shallow. Look from 14′ – 22′ mid-day and shallower during low-light periods. You’ll catch fewer fish no doubt, but it will greatly improve your chances at sticking that one big fish. I’ve also been catching bigger fish, the average size seems to go up noticeably, using the 5″ super doos that Dave gave me. I’m not even sure that those are available yet or ever but the point is, with the larger walleye showing such a prefference for the larger baits, opt for a bigger bodied plastic if you’re truely interested in a piggie hunt.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.