Bit off!

• JimW
    SE MN

Hey all,

I have fished long and hard enough to have been bitten off by many a “Jack fish”(northern in laymens).

However, last night I believe I might have lost a large walleye that bit me off! Here is the brief scenario. Please
    let me know if this has happened to you and if it’s just wishful thinking on my part. SInce missing large fish has become my “MO”!

I was casting shallow with ringworms when this fished grabbed hard! A couple seconds into the short lived battle, I was bit off!
    As I reeled my limp line back to the boat, a large fish(assuming the one I just had on) surfaced twice, slapping the surface as to dislodge
    my bait from it’s throat. My partner witnessed the first surface and claimed it wasn’t a Jack, but could not verify it to be a pickeral.

As I stared in wonderment, it surfaced again. OUt of the corner of my eye I saw it’s tail and in that brief “slow motion” caption, I saw a large walleye
    tail slap the chop of the surface before returning below.

Could this have been one of those rare(if it;s rare at all) occasions where a walleye had completely engulfed my ringworm then
    somehow breaking me off?

At least I have found a good shallow water spot to hit again!!!

Thought I would share this tid-bit. Feel free to share similar occurrences!

Keep the rod’s bendin’!!!!

Jim W

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Holy sheepshead Jim, I’ve lost alot of big fish like that and I ‘m pretty sure they were all BIG walleyes!! Seriously, it sure could have been a big walleye. In the shallow water it was trying to get rid of that morsel it thought was an easy meal but pained her throat a little. What line were you using? Had you caught some earlier-walleyes? Line may have had a little chink in it. It would have been nice to see a picture of you with a 12 lber!!!! Get her next time. JLK

JimW
    SE MN

jeffleek,

Yah, I know. IN fact, in my boat we have a saying. “All large fish lost are walleyes”!!!!!lol

My day will come! I have caught large lake walleye, but still waiting for that plump river girl! hmmmmm

DId I just say that?lol

I was using 6 pound XL in some rocks. SO it may have sheared some!

Jim W

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Jim,

One thing I’m very conscious about when shallow, big fish fishin’, is to check my line often for nicks. It’s amazing how often you find the line “roughed up”. Considering the test you were using(which is what I use) it’s likely there was a line issue. Big fish always seem to find a way to exploit any weakness. Good luck catching that big one!!!

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.