11 Lb Red Wing Walleye – CPR!!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Want big fish? Fish big baits!

Here’s one of the dingers we got tonight after the IDA Pro-Staff “Gathering” held out of Everts Resort on Sunday afternoon. After the meeting broke up and the clean-up from our meal was over, most went home while a few of us went out for the last hour or so before dark. Dustin’s boat had some awesome fish on the plus side of 7 Lbs and I got this 11 Lb MONSTER to go with another pair o’ piggies. Caught on a chart. pearl 5″ Kalin tail… fished on a 1/8th ounce jig in a couple feet of water. MAN, did that fish pound that bait and give us fits at the boat when we found Mike “mudlnthru” had one of those little rubber “tennis racket” type landing nets. After the third time in and out of the net, I was about to have a coronary…. but the net man came through and finally found a way to “fold” that fish enough to get it all in the net!

A couple quick pics and back she went!

Look for a report from Dustin and I tomorrow on the specifics and the rest of the pics if you’re interested. Lots of boats out near the dam enjoying an incredibly beautiful day!

mudlnthru
    Burnsville

Hey, the net worked fine. We just had to thread the fish into it. By the way, James, I was thoroughly impressed. Not only was that a fabulous catch, but after finding out that you had old, cranky mono on the reel, I was even more impressed.

I’ll get a new net as soon as we figure out how I can hook into something that is NOT a sheephead.

Mike

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

James, great picture and what an awesome Walleye, you and Dustin are Walleye gods. way to go. Jack.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I’ll bet you didn’t have that one between your legs to get the hook out !!

Beauty fish James

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

What a pig!

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Way to go, James, although I can’t quite say I’m surprised. LOL!!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

WOW, That is a HOG!!!

Nice job James

JimW
    SE MN

Hey James,
    Now why did you go to Mille LAcs????lol I guess Wes and I should have stayed out a bit longer eh?

Maybe we could have attached a lead from your boat to mine!lol!!!! Or we should have jumped you and
    stole those pearl plastics you were showing us just before you went out!lol

VEry impressive WALLDOG!!!!!!!!!

Jim W

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Dave K.

No, that walleye never ended up between my legs for the old “hook out and over ya’ go” routine. I just got my guidewear clean again and I’m going to keep it looking decent for the time being. I’ll be seeing you tonight at the resort there good buddy!

Jim W.

We fished that same area you were in up there on the sand but just kept our baits real shallow, basically “where the heron stands” kinda deal. I wish I had given you a selection of those baits to try. Next time I see you, I will.

This is the time of the year… the month of November it seems… when fishing big offers up big rewards most consistently. You can catch oodles of small fish on jig/minnow or opt for the big girls. The water cooled real fast and we basically moved through the time period when the fish are willing to chase down a large profile crankbait. Not that they won’t hit one now on occassion, just that your odds are better fishing large but slower.

Last season I really embraced the “fish big for big fish” thing in the fall and the kalins have been the key. I remember the first time Dustin, Jim Leemon and I went out playing with them.

This photo from a little over a year ago was the result! –> http://www.movingwaters.net/photos/recent/jim_james_dustin.jpg

Hopefully there will be a few more for me yet this month. Nothing feels better than pitching out that light jig and having a mama walleye hit it so hard you feel it in the arm NOT holding the rod…lol

Good fishin’,

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

James, can’t say as I will ever forget that day. It was definitely a day to remember. The fish were so shallow that particular time we would basically hit the bank, close the bale, and fish on! It got to the point that you mine as well of just set the hook as soon as the Kalin tail hit the water……well, maybe not that fast.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

beautiful fish…. and beautiful picture too!! great job!!!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

That is about the best looking fish that I have seen. Great job James on the release. It sure is nice knowing that maybe I can get lucky and catch that hog. Better yet can you imagine the look on one of the kids faces from Big Brothers or Big Sisters if they hooked into something like that. That photo would be worth a million. Steve

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Only as expected from the Master!! Great fish James, congratulations on the catch and successful CPR.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.