Nice eyes on Pool 2

• DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I spent last night on Pool 2 chasing some eyes. I ended up with about 10 walleyes with 4 fish being over 23 inches with a nice 29 incher (see attached).

I wish this time of year would last forever!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Here is a pretty 25 incher that hit right beside the boat.

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

Nice eye! Did you catch it or did the dog?????? What did you catch it with?

Lifes to short to fish with dead minnows! Jim

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Here’s a skinny 24 incher shown with my trusting fishing partner Bailey that appears to be a little spooked of something in the back of the boat.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

OMFT,

My lab puts most all the fish in the boat. She has one heck of a hookset!!
    All these fish came off of Bomber’s Model 5A’s in about 3-4 ft of water.

urbanrivers

DeeZee, are you going out of the 494 ramp and going down or above downtown?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

urbanrivers,

I have been mostly fishing up from 494 but down river from downtown St. Paul.

urbanrivers

DeeZee

I have fished the discharge from the water treatment plant and across from it but never made it past the railroad bridge. I have heard there are a couple of good spots up by the airport. Do you know of them?

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

Way to Go Dee Zee! Very nice Fish.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Spent almost the entire day down on 2 again yesterday.
    I would of had a strong notion that the weather we had come through on Teusday night would of sent our walleyes into a non-active moral, but guess what………the bite was awesome. With boating nearly 40 walleyes, more than half the fish were over 21″. We had no pigs yesterday but lots of 21-24″ fish being almost the norm. Again pitching cranks and plastics accounted for all the fish.
    Again, plenty of whitebass around to throw into the mix of the walleye bananza.

I love October……

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Made it out again tonight. The bite was a little tough for me but still put plenty of eyes in the boat. Tried pitching some cranks on the wingdams with not a bite. Throwing a white bomber. Maybe a color change would of helped. I did pick up a couple nice eyes on jig and minnows on top of the dams however. The fish seemed to be picking up right before dark with a consistent on the edge of the dams in 10′. Earlyer in the day hit was hit and miss. Hope to be back on saturday.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Mike,

I have been having slow days on some wingies and hot on the next lately. As you find one that is holding fish, revisit this spot as fish move up and down off these spots several times throughout the day. Sooner or later you will put together a “milk route” of spots to stop at next time out. These will be your high percentage spots for the time being. Each day I revisit some that have been spotty in the past, because these can turn on overnight as well.
    Good Luck

Here is another picture of a 24 incher.

dinosaur
    South St. Paul, Mn.

Everyone of the fish you have posted have been very healthy looking. They are eating well and there are no problems with the water quality , or lack of , having an effect on their appearance. What a great fishery right in my backyard.
    Dino

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Deezee,

How is your new ride? I haven’t read a product comparison yet. Post a pic for us!!

Thanks man!!

John

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for the help Dee zee. I have gotten alot of good info off this site.
    I was sitting on the out side edge of a wingdam yesterday not catching much when they all of a sudden turned on. Caught five in a row over 20″. Couldnt even get the jig to the bottom. Then they where gone. This lasted for about 15 minutes. Glad I was there for those few minutes.
    I have spent most of my time on the Osceola part of the St Croix the past few years so I am just learning this area south of st paul. It is fun learning a new strech of river. It is also fun running my little 14′ jon boat in south st paul. That wind sure can blow down there. I am amazed at the wakes coming off some of the boats there also.
    Looks like the sun might be out again tommorow. should be good fishing. See you guys in the morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.