Ringworms & H2O

• fishiowa
    NW, IA

I live in NW, IA and have never fished the Mississippi, but planning a couple trips over there in the very near future. I hear ringworm and H2O terms on a lot of the posts. What are they? I would guess ringworms also have another name which I am probably familar with. I would guess a H2O jig is something like a twister, just guessing. If someone would clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Everett

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Check out the B Fish N Tackle web site. They sell these and other great plastics like superdoos, K grubs, & paddletails.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Lots of photos on the site also so you can see what we are talking about.

bfishntackle.com

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Here you go! A ringworm is a deadly plastic bait and H20 jigs have a specially designed shape and wire keeper specifically for the plastics. They are incredibly effective for pitching/casting jigs. The jig in the picture is not an H20, but the plastic is a BFT(BFishinTackle) Ringworm. I fish H20 jigs most of the time…I was “dragging”(letting the jig drag along as the boat drifts downstream)I like a NuckleBall for this presentation. Also a sponsor of this website and a great product. Just click on the link in my bio!

BFT…jigs and plastics just click on this link(in red)

fishiowa
    NW, IA

Interesting, it is funny how things are done just five hours away. Where I live pretty much everyone uses 3 inch Berkly Power Baits. In my almost 25 years of walleye fishing I have never seen anyone throw a four or five inch jig for walleyes. I look forward to trying it. Thanks for explaining it to me.
    Everett

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Everett

Where in NW IA do you live? I’m going to school in Storm Lake, and like to hear from other people in this corner of the state.

David

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Everett – you ever notice how long a jumbo leech stretches out to on a jig? Or under a slip bobber – or how about full night crawlers? They are all that long too. Walleyes think they are CANDY! Chuckles

Murf
    West Central WI

Hi Everett, The ring worms, paddletails, 5″kgrubs, superdoos, h20 jigs are all great tools. I use them quite a bit. The power grubs are also a great bait and like anything, somedays one will outperform the other. Its just fun to have alternatives to try. They do tend to hammer these ringworms in the spring!!! Truthfully I am even more impressed with the design of the H20 jig. If you have seen a photo of it, the retaining wire is quite thin unlike traditional jigs and doesnt tear your plastic…..I love ’em.

Do you do any pheasants in your area? I just got a new English setter pup (11 months old now). She will be a year and a half this fall and ready for her first wild birds. Shes done good on planted birds but needs to get into wild birds. I hope to have her ready by fall. If you know a few good areas, I’d be interested, or if you dont hunt, and know of an area I could try, id appreciate the info(I quit huting pheasant 8 years ago in Iowa and am just getting started again and lost all my contacts)………Thanks, Murf

CROIXBOY2
    Taylors Falls, MN

I just picked up some ringworms and super doos , k grubs along with the powerbaits I usally buy. Where can I get h20 jigs? And do they have a wide hook gap? Jeff

fishiowa
    NW, IA

Hey Skippy 783 (David) I live in Aurelia, just 13 miles straight west of Storm Lake. I hear the guys wading in SL are catching some nice walleyes on white twisters. I am finishing up some things on my boat so I haven’t been over there yet. I am going to order some ringworms and H2O jigs and give them a try in SL. It should give them something new to look at and maybe really turn them on. Maybe we can get together and do a little SL fishing this spring.

Everett

fishiowa
    NW, IA

Good point Chuckles, and Murfeyes we have very Pheasant hunting around here. I stopped pheasant hunting for a few years after I had to put down the best dog I ever had. I now also have a 11 month old Weimaraner that I am hoping will be good next year. Email me next year before season and we will something set up.

Everett

Murf
    West Central WI

Everett, If you get up towards LaCrosse, Wi (pool 8 on Mississippi)sometime, email me , we’ll set something up to fish. I am not new to fishing , but am fairly new to fishing the Mississippi. Just got a new boat and have been doing fairly well this spring on the river. I live 45 minutes east of pool 8. Wouldnt mind taking you up on the pheasants this fall either, if your bird population is stable. It would be the best thing for our dogs. My 9 year old setter died of cancer last july ,wasnt going to get another but after a couple of months went nuts without a bird dog to trip over . If we get a chance to get out sometime I’ll take it easy on you as you are much older…………(23 days) ……Later…Murf

Brian Lyons

Nope!!

Ringworms won’t catch fish
    All these reports are nonsense!!
    Super doos ? nada,nope no fish
    Give it up,fish with minnows and send your ill gotten plastic to me..Big B…. pm for address

fshdog
    nw iowa

I agree plastic isn’t worth haul’n around just drop off whatever you buy on your way to redwing I’m just east of spencer bout 6mi

tom_gursky

Hey Big B ya forgot to tell him Iowans don’t eat Pizza either!!

tom_gursky

CROIXMAN…they have Mustad Ultra point wide gaps….1X long…you’lll LOVE them for plastics!!

fishiowa
    NW, IA

Ok, I can’t take it anymore, a couple of fishing buddies and I are heading to pool 4 next Fri & Sat. Any advise on an inexpensive place to stay, where to put in and suggestions on where to fish would be greatly appreciated. Fished the Missouri many times, looking forward to fishing the Mississippi for the first time.

Everett

If I can’t fish in heaven, I’m not going.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Your best all around ticket is to stay at Evert’s.
    Got the best ramps, bait, the right tackle, lodging, the best fishing reports, etc and you are only about 2 miles down river from the dam!!!!

Evert’s

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Will he get a discount because of his name?

dd

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.