River Consumption Guidelines

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

I am an avid fisherman but the Mighty Miss is a new stomping ground for me. This question arises because of the full moon coming up and the diligent walleye fishing I hope to do on pool 4. I’ve heard in the past that the waters are filthy at times and I’m wondering what is the safe limit to eat is. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Chris

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

Go to the EPA website and click on the state you want. It’ll give all advisories for lakes and rivers for every state. EPA website

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Thank You very much.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

On the Minnesota pools it’s one meal per month.

-J.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

Jon,

I just went to the mentioned link and for the general population on pool 4 it is one meal per week for walleyes 15–30”.

Where did you get you information on one meal a month?

Dave Gulczinski

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Great information!

Thank you

letsgo

Jon, I’m confused, I looked at Red Wing to Kellog and see 1 meal a week for Walleye and Sauger?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I was referring to the general guidlines. It varies for men/women/children and by pool.

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

May I R.I.P. I eat enough fish at one sitting that I’ll be 6 feet under before I catch my next walleye if I can only eat one meal per month.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Man, that’s some sad stuff.

I mean, I am not into the liberal side of the “environmenal movement” by any means; but reading that list makes me stop and wonder about what we are doing/have done to our world?

I have little kids and a pregant wife, so I guess I pay a little more attention to these things. Pool 9 (closest place to MN that I presently fish) looks OK for small ‘eyes and saugers, but upstream, some of the data is upsetting to say the least.

You wonder if they set the bar a little too high? But then again, you’re playing with your own body and dealing with something that is likely not well understood or documented. Its comforting knowing we are all in some way, part of some giant science experiment-whether we want to or not.

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.