Thanks H2O!

• Birdboy

Hey James,

Thanks for the little tip on the landing last night… the end of that point (on both sides) yielded a couple “legals” and a bunch more smaller fish within the first hour…. fun action!!! Oh, slow worked spinners and leeches were the ticket. Then things pretty much shut down as the evening went on. I’m basically a “born again rookie” to fishing the mighty Miss (fished alot with the old man back in the 70s), but what I’ve noticed this spring/early summer is the bite seems to tail off as the evening wares on. As we all know, this is not the usual case for lake walleyes this time of year. That dusk period is “primetime.” Just wondering if you could share any insight on this. I’m guessing the fish probably go on the move at this time & I have yet to follow them or run into the “pack” during the magical twilight.

Birdboy out

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Birdboy

It was my pleasure to run into you and chat for a bit at the landing. I’m glad the advice payed off a bit.

As for the dawn dusk “prime time” periods….

There is a noticeable ‘early and late’ bite on Pepin and this pattern becomes much more prevelant and pronounced as the water clarity increases as our water levels drop and our visibility levels improve. The fish you took on the spinners were likely ‘neutrally’ aggressive fish that were occupying the edges of the weeds on that point. As the sun drops, those fish move shallower and become much more aggressive. That same spinner and leech fished slowly that worked well middle of the day attracts very little attention when the fish really get aggressive and move shallow. I typically go to casting rattle traps or shad raps and make spot casts around the clumps of emerging vegetation to pick up these fish. Sometime the crazier you get with your retrieve the more fish you catch when tossing traps.

Dawn and dusk are times when it really pays to get aggressive as an angler when it comes to your presentation. The same scenario often occurs on Pepin on days when we have over cast skies and a bunch of wind.

Give it a try and let me know how things turn out.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

those “traps” are my favorite casting lure on the croix as well.. they cast well, and fish just chomp em… ALL species… they are the most effective thing Ive found for working shorlines casting…. at least if your going for aggressive…. and James.. you always say.. start aggressive first… and I say….. YEAHHHHHH BUDDY!!!!…..

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Are you guys still using small (5’s) or larger traps? are there better colors you like to use (craw, perch, tiger)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I stick pretty much to the 1/4 – 1/2 ounce traps for most of my walleye fishing. Depth and mood of the fish dictate the size. Firetiger, craw, black/silver, blue/silver,….. I have a ton of colors but I often start with this funny black/brass color. Not even sure what its called and I haven’t bought any for awhile so I don’t know if they’re still available. Net time to Fleetfarm I’ll just have to check.

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

Birdboy

Hey H2o~
    Kinda figured that would be the case… we did try “moving up” and trolling the blades fast along the weeds, but soon got frustrated with constantly pulling in salad. I’ll definately try the aggresive casting into pockets method next evening I’m out. Over the years, I’ve picked up alot of nice walleyes casting original floating raps over shallow evening feeding grounds… and I sure like the way the pile drive the lure!!! Those rattlin’ traps do make alot of commotion (which I’m sure is key in the more stained water), so I’ll be sure to pick up a few more on my next visit to FF too! I’ll let ya know how it goes next time out….

Again, thanks for the advise… it’s appreciated.

Birdboy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.