What a difference the wind makes on Pepin

• micah-witham
    Richfield

No pictures to post here so I thought I would just throw this up in the forum instead of a report, but man what a guy can do with a little wind!
    Fished Pepin on Friday with the new lab pup that we got and we struggled to find some fish, until the wind picked up. The southeast wind that was predicted kicked in at about 830 and it was game on!
    We talk about this all the time but finding wind swept points or areas where wind is pushing waves and baitfish into them are WALLEYE MAGNETS. With a south wind, find any point that sticks out in the main lake on Pepin and fish the windward side of it and there’s a very good chance you’ll find walleyes.
    I was trolling #5 Shad Raps at 2.8-3.5mph in as little as 3 feet of water on top of this finger and caught fish on nearly every pass.
    A couple of things I noted:
    #1 – color made a difference under a bright sun. Can’t find the color anywhere on Rapala’s site but it’s the chromed out version of perch.
    #2 – Pull & Pause. I could almost predict when I would get bit and it was following a pump of the rod which ensured ticking rocks and banging bottom, then a pause and when the boat speed surged the bait forward again I’d get bit almost every time. The rod in my hand out fished the rod in the holder 4 to 1.
    #3 – When you find these fish concentrated like this, don’t be afraid to spot lock it and fan cast these areas.

Good luck and pray for a little wind!

micah-witham
    Richfield

there it is, thx shouldbefishin.

now that you say it, I do remember heading to fleet farm after the pepin trolling video came out last summer about this time.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Funny, we had a ton of legals on Friday, and the color you show here was a sheephead magnet for us. We took it off and replaced it with a flicker shad because we were catching sheephead on it every 50 yards or so.

micah-witham
    Richfield

were you fishing shoreline rocks?
    I’ve found that almost every sheehead I’ve caught on Pepin or near the head of the lake is shore line rocks and rip rap.
    didn’t find a single sheephead out where I was fishing Friday until I moved to the wisconsin shoreline by the train track rocks

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

We were fishing shallow sand flats. I think part of it was that there were just so many fish in the area, that the sheephead moved in too. If we caught 20 sheephead, that crank caught 18, while the other 5 accounted for 2. That being said, I’ve had days where that same crank caught most of the eyes. Just seemed strange that they liked that one so much on Friday.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

until I moved to the wisconsin shoreline by the train track rocks

I know, right? There is a crazy difference.

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

Last time out about a week ago, my son and I fished from 6am-130PM and we did not get a single bite. Man I hate to admit that. We generally fish from Lake City and south down river. So when you say the head of the lake are you referring to location A on this map? Or farther upstream? We would be really happy to get our hands on anything slimy. Sheephead would be a treat since we would smoke them.

haleysgold
    SE MN

The head of the lake is generally where you marked the A.

I think of the head as a few different areas.
    The “Can Line”(red/green channel markers) starts just south of your A.
    The whole area on the sconny side from Maiden Rock to Bay City.

On the Minny side, directly across from Maiden Rock(Frontenac) and north to where the actually channel starts.

So in general, yes where you have the A is it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

were you fishing shoreline rocks?
    I’ve found that almost every sheehead I’ve caught on Pepin or near the head of the lake is shore line rocks and rip rap.
    didn’t find a single sheephead out where I was fishing Friday until I moved to the wisconsin shoreline by the train track rocks

That is where my wife and I put this monster in the boat!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.