Encroachment

• dj00140

So I have been shore fishing for walleyes in a couple spots this spring, and on the weekends there are usually quite a few boats in this spot. Anyways me and my buddies only occupy a 20 ft wide area of shore at the most and our casting lanes are pretty small but I notice boats will come up right in front of us where we’re casting… and its even more annoying when they do it right after we pull in a fish. Most boats give us space but they’re are always a few that don’t have much consideration of the fact we have a much smaller area to fish than they do.

Am I wrong to think that they should give us a small area for casting when this stretch is plenty large enough to leave us a little room? I understand they can do it, its public water, but I would never encroach on anyone’s area like that… In a boat vertical jigging next to another boat isn’t quite as bad but when they are hindering us from fishing/casting I think it is kind of rude. A couple guys fishing down there said walleye anglers are notorious for this…

What do you guys think?

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

If you were there first and they see you pull a couple out and then creep up on your spot I wouldnt be afraid to plunk a couple 1 oz jigs right next to his boat. Considering you are pretty limited in the spots you can go fishing from shore I would give you that hole if i was in a boat. However there are alot of clueless and selfish people out there…

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I feel your anguish. It’s your spot and you were there first.

What I see and hear from others, and anglers moving in on TOP of anglers,saddly, doesn’t surprise me anymore.

Without sounding too upset, over to them, could I have a little more room please; might help.
    But a back and forth verbal match just isn’t worth it, and always nothing is gained.

Maybe put your rods down, sit on a rock if it’s available, and tell them to let you know when when you can get back to fishing YOUR spot. Hope that would have to even give the totally CLueless the hint.
    Good luck,
    Jack

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s too bad. I give shore anglers lots of room. Only time i probably make a few shore anglers mad is when i’m on the MN River, it’s low, and they’re fishing the channel my boat HAS to go through to avoid damage. I’m sure it is not appreciated but i also think those that get mad in this situation don’t understand the situation a boat is in.

Yes, it is incredibly rude to move in and interrupt someone fishing a shore spot. Just as rude to do so to someone else in a boat. Lots of water out there. Many people are clueless to their effect on others.

dj00140

Yea, I dont feel its worth getting into an argument over. I almost feel bad for them… It’s like if you really need to fish on top of me to catch a fish, go ahead, I have been pretty fortunate so far this year.

Thats is a good one though “Let me know when I can get back to fishing my spot”, we usually just keep casting our lanes and then they give us a dirty look when we cast 2 ft from there boat, its like seriously bro?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

very nice looking fish. I’d ask when you can expect to be able to cast again, I’d have an extra pole with 30# test and a Daredevil, just in case they don’t move see if you can catch someones lure!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I know that spot. Not a lot of room on that shoreline. I like dragging it but cant always do that if there are shore fishermen. Most of those guys in boats are not catching fish. If you do get one on maybe try playing it down the best possible or good chance you will end up with company. Shake it off in the water and tell them its a carp.

Sometimes when we are all trying to fish a small area like that you end up having to share a little space. Still no reason to go flying in and sit on someone else spot.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sadly, there’s just some jerkbaits out there and there’s nothing you can do.

It’s the same with guys in boats. Ever feeling lonely and wanting a whole bunch of boats parked right on top of you? Just throw out one of those marker buoys and wait 3 minutes. You’ll have guys so close you’ll have to ask them to duck so you can spit and hit the water.

It’s just the way it is out there. Just gotta take a deep breath and let it go.

Grouse

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Personally I would tie on a crap jig and toss it in their boat, that will get their attention. You are out a jig, big deal. If you aren’t confident in your casting ability to not hit the guy, don’t do it, don’t want to hurt anyone, then again clip off the hook and your set. No tolerance policy for doodooheads like that.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Better yet. Send out a line with 30# line as far as you can get it with some heavy weight. When the boat crosses over, their lines should get snagged on it and reel them in. That should give them the hint theyre fishing too close.

No words, damage, or injured people in the meantime.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Better yet. Send out a line with 30# line as far as you can get it with some heavy weight. When the boat crosses over, their lines should get snagged on it and reel them in. That should give them the hint theyre fishing too close.

No words, damage, or injured people in the meantime.

I like that idea!

dj00140

Some good suggestions but I think I am just going to bring my rape whistle down there start blowing it crazily and yell poachers while hurling boulders towards there boat, then if they come back I’ll repeatedly ask to fish in there boat with them… or is that poor fishing etiquette??? And don’t ask why I have a rape whistle.

CJ

Quote:

Some good suggestions but I think I am just going to bring my rape whistle down there start blowing it crazily and yell poachers while hurling boulders towards there boat, then if they come back I’ll repeatedly ask to fish in there boat with them… or is that poor fishing etiquette??? And don’t ask why I have a rape whistle.

I believe you have found a solution to your problem

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Unfortunately stuff like this happens way too often. While you were there first it is public water so referring to it as “your spot” probably won’t go over any better than snapping a smart a$$ comment their way.

I was working a small break on Big Cutfoot one time and this guy saw me working it and pull a couple fish so he came in and anchored right in the middle of the 50yd stretch I was working. I gave him a wide berth to allow space for him to fish they were vertical jigging making short casts well when I went by he heaved his jig as hard as he could landed it about 10feet from me and yelled at me for getting too close.

Somehow it ended up my fault that he came in and anchored on a spot he knew I was fishing when I gave him a hail mary cast worth of distance.

It takes all kinds, the best bet is to just bite your tongue and just keep fishing the best you can or take a break and just sit and watch them. If they ask you why you quit just politely tell them they didn’t leave you much space.

It’s easy to get ticked off and fly off the handle but anyone with the gall to do something like that is probably just waiting for your reaction so he can brag to all his buddies about telling off some shore fisherman.

Just my opinion…..but taking the high road and being the bigger person is the best approach.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why do you have a rape whistle?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Unfortunately stuff like this happens way too often. While you were there first it is public water so referring to it as “your spot” probably won’t go over any better than snapping a smart a$$ comment their way.

I was working a small break on Big Cutfoot one time and this guy saw me working it and pull a couple fish so he came in and anchored right in the middle of the 50yd stretch I was working. I gave him a wide berth to allow space for him to fish they were vertical jigging making short casts well when I went by he heaved his jig as hard as he could landed it about 10feet from me and yelled at me for getting too close.

Somehow it ended up my fault that he came in and anchored on a spot he knew I was fishing when I gave him a hail mary cast worth of distance.

It takes all kinds, the best bet is to just bite your tongue and just keep fishing the best you can or take a break and just sit and watch them. If they ask you why you quit just politely tell them they didn’t leave you much space.

It’s easy to get ticked off and fly off the handle but anyone with the gall to do something like that is probably just waiting for your reaction so he can brag to all his buddies about telling off some shore fisherman.

Just my opinion…..but taking the high road and being the bigger person is the best approach.

If my kids are with, I agree with you. But that’s why there are so many drinks in the world, BC NO ONE says squat! So passive, sorry but as long ad the women folk and kiddies ain’t around you will learn to respect what everyone else does. They can go brag all they want to their friends how they told someone off but when it came down to it they pulled anchor and shipped out when the crazy guy on shore took off his clothes and started swimming out to kick his in his own boat.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

They can go brag all they want to their friends how they told someone off but when it came down to it they pulled anchor and shipped out when the crazy guy on shore took off his clothes and started swimming out to kick his in his own boat.

That was you? We apologize, we didn’t know you were fishing.

Curious, why were you naked before we anchored?

ps. you should have that mole checked out.

red89
    Hudson

Normal fishing etiquette is pretty much thrown out the window in the spring when spots below dams get packed with boats. Not saying I approve of it, but its reality.

BBKK
    IA

Happened many times. I just keep casting right where I have been. Same with people walking up and standing next to me. I just keep doing what I am doing. Usually its the guy in control of the boat that doesn’t realize he got that close, and after I drop a jig a foot off his port side the other guy(s) usually say something to him and they move. If after several casts they do not move, I’ll simply say “hey guys, that’s a little close to where I am fishing”. Never had one argue or refuse to move.

Best one yet was when we were goose hunting and a guy pulled in at first light and tried to fish the wingdam 20 yards in front of us. Kept looking over like “why aren’t those geese flying away” (decoys), until I finally said “better hope a goose doesn’t come by or I am calling the DNR” (its illegal to interfere with a hunt in Iowa). The guy about sh1t his pants, he jumped a foot in the air on his front deck. Had no idea we were in there. He apologized and took off like a bat out of hell, we laughed for a long time.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

That was you? We apologize, we didn’t know you were fishing.

Curious, why were you naked before we anchored?

ps. you should have that mole checked out.

Its OK, now you know.
    I was trying out this new technique called noodling
    Yo momma said the mole is just fine and she thinks its cute.

(Yo momma jokes allowed on IDO? Completely juvenile but good for a chuckle at times )

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

We had a situation like you describe last year. We caught one bass and someone in a boat comes right in on us. That is irritating enough but then we had to suck in the smoke from their cigarette’s. few things can urine me off more than being outside trying to enjoy a bit of sun and fresh air and we have to inhale some dip sticks smoke. Then after a while they yell over and ask what we caught. I think they got a clue when I was casting as hard as I could for their boat and any lines they had on the water.

My kids and I couldn’t believe it. We are just down river from Lake City with a little spot from shore standing on boulders nearly falling into the water, an occasional train rushing right behind us, and these bright light bulbs decide that “we” must have the great spot on the whole river. Ha, if they only knew how much I suck at fishing. The only good that came out of this…..it motivated me enough to finally buy a boat. 48 years without one was long enough to wait!! And let me tell you, I will not be pulling in on someone who is shore fishing.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Yea, I dont feel its worth getting into an argument over. I almost feel bad for them… It’s like if you really need to fish on top of me to catch a fish, go ahead, I have been pretty fortunate so far this year.

Thats is a good one though “Let me know when I can get back to fishing my spot”, we usually just keep casting our lanes and then they give us a dirty look when we cast 2 ft from there boat, its like seriously bro?

Post fish pic’s with backgrounds like that and you’ll see even more encroachment

I agree with Mike tho, you learn to downplay fish which can take some of the fun out of it. At the same time, the fun for me is gone when 10 boats / shore fisherman are bucking for the same spot…

Good Luck

dj00140

Yea, I think the majority of people out fishing are pretty considerate. Its just the few idiots that stand out…

dj00140

Quote:

Quote:

Post fish pic’s with backgrounds like that and you’ll see even more encroachment

I agree with Mike tho, you learn to downplay fish which can take some of the fun out of it. At the same time, the fun for me is gone when 10 boats / shore fisherman are bucking for the same spot…

Good Luck

I don’t think its much of a secret…

dj00140

Quote:

I fish Blackdog

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Sometimes it’s nice to have a muskie rod with a crankbait, that’ll clean up their lines.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

I fish Blackdog

Oh boy, when Brian sees this and our back and forth, he’s going to have a field day.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I don’t think its much of a secret…

Kinda like posting a photo of the Red Wing dam. LOL!

You have a rape whistle for Black Dog?

Pug? No I can’t hi jack this thread with that!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I seldom have trouble with people fishing close to me and when I do…personally I’ve enjoyed it. Gives me someone to talk to besides myself.

I get to know someone new. Once that barrier is broken and the chests are deflated “most” people will become overly considerate.

Just my experience I guess.

dj00140

Shore fishing next to someone rather than alone is always cool, but boats drifting through your casting lane is bs.

and if your ever bored just go park down on blackdog and start reading a book… so many friendly guys down there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.