Lake Pepin 7/21

• ssperch
    Hudson, WI

I was able to launch from Colvill Park about 6:00 this morning to fish the lake. I started pulling lead in 18-20 feet of water without any luck. After 30 minutes without a bite an nothing much showing up on the graph I decided to move shallower.

I made the switch to long line trolling cranks anywhere from 5 to 12 ft of water. Only 5 minutes in and I had two in the boat. I was then chased off the water, twice. After the storms had passed the fish continued to be on a decent bite. The hot crank of the day was the number 5 firetiger shad rap. About 5 of the fish I caught today were on an inside rod while making “S” turns. If you are having a tough time getting bites give this a try. You may find that they lure stopping or a change of speed can trigger the bite.

I am looking to upgrade my long line trolling rods, does anyone have any input as to their favorite rigs that you use on the river? I would also like to use them for pulling planner boards.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Limit creek has a good selection of trolling rods. Their shorties are awesome and they have 12′ rods that work great to get some seperation between baits and also have great sensitivity. They alson have at least one other rod in 8 or 10′ size maybe both haven’t tried them but have herd they are also great rods

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use Bass Pro Crankin Sticks for trolling. They are not sold as trolling rods but are perfect. They also telescope making them easier to store.

mikes-jigs
    Red Wing, MN

I have the Jason Mitchell trolling rod and love it. They make them in the 5′, 7′, 10.5′ and I think a 12′.

little-t
    Plymouth WI

I would go to Evert’s resort and talk to Steve. He’s got a nice selection of rods, plus the short ones, meaning you don’t have to use boards . nuf said.

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

I highly recommend the Limit Creek LCT86MHF extendable rods. They extend to 8′ 6″ and are only 7′ when collapsed so they will fit in most rod compartments. These work very well for long-lining and also work very good with snap weights, planer boards, and lead core.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.