Leadcore Trolling Rods

• hunter1723

You guys that are pulling lead core: What kind of rods are you using? What kind of reels are you using? How do i know what kind of leadcore to get? I am mostly looking at trolling for walleyes. I have a couple 9 foot rods that I run braid with for long lining. Now I am looking for a couple setups that I can pull leadcore with inside of those! Any help would be appreciated.

mikes-jigs
    Red Wing, MN

We just got out first Jason Mitchell trolling rod and love it. The Jason Mitchell 5 ft. would be perfect. Also all our rods are paired with Penn reals. We have 5 Penn 209 and 1 Penn 310 GTI. I would stick with the Penn 209 because most places have them in stock. For the lead core we use Cortland 18 lbs. We have tried the Suffix and it has had the lead poke through the sheath and it has also spun it’s self around, almost braiding it’s self. The Cabelas brand lead core is pretty good too, for lead core.

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

Jason Mitchell 10’6″ on the front two and Limit Creek(The “Runt”) 5′ on the back two. 18 pound Suffix lead. Diawa Sealine 47’s for reels.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use Ugly Sticks for lead. Innexpensive and just fine for the non-Finesse sport of lead-lining.

ps-but then again I just checked prices on JM rods and they are very innexpensive. Looks like a good choice money wise.

hunter1723

Do you have to use the shorter rods for leadcore?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Limit Creek has a 12’rod, 8,6 telescoping rod and a 5′ rod specifically designed for trolling leadcore. I really like my 5′ er’s and my 8’6″ leadcore rods. It’s very easy to read the tip when pulling 130+’ of leadcore with these rods

jbob
    Hastings, MN

The short rods are nice when using 4 or more line. I use 10′ in the front and the 5′ out the back. This helps to avoid the lines to get tangled.

hunter1723

Do I have to buy a special rod for leadcore? What action should I get for lead core?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Do I have to buy a special rod for leadcore? What action should I get for lead core?

I would go with a Medium Heavy rod

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.