Pool 4 Results from Friday

• Grawler

First time to Pool 4 at Red Wing and what a trip. Had great success doing exactly what that video just posted said to do. Lucky guess on my part! It was a night bite.

Met Randy Stevens aka “River Rat” that night and it was a great way to end a great day!

I must add that Steve at Evert’s is the nicest small business owner I’ve met. Seriously. Our trip started with 2 boat mechanical disasters and he went out of his way to help (drove to get me oil since the old gasket from the filter stuck on and I lost all the oil in the brand new motor! and he solved the problem!) First class. I’ll be staying there from now on.

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Awesome, I was there Saturday for the first time and it was slow. Going again tomorrow.

brandonprasnicki

I see on walleye central you said you were the only ones catching keepers… So – without giving away everything… what do you think was the difference? Presentation? Location? Speed? Bait? (I’m not asking for the exact thing you did – just which of the four might have been the ticket)

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Sounds and looks like you had a great time, Nate. I like the pic with the pile of snow in the background. Classic river pic.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Awesome! And welcome to IDO. You have officially joined the masses of us IDOers that are hooked on the ol’ pool 4. Hopefully diggin the boat out of storage within the next couple weeks! Can’t wait much longer the itch is getting hard to fend off.

Grawler

Quote:

I see on walleye central you said you were the only ones catching keepers… So – without giving away everything… what do you think was the difference? Presentation? Location? Speed? Bait? (I’m not asking for the exact thing you did – just which of the four might have been the ticket)

Good question and I don’t mind sharing at all. The only difference I could see (not being really close to others) is that I didn’t see anyone else dragging at the speed we were in the area we were. I was moving a bit faster than others both up and downstream. I would make a dragging pass down and upstream in the time it took most to drag downstream. I also saw a lot of vertical jigging while drifting and so I was covering a lot more water, not in the main channel like most. Sand was the ticket. That video that was just posted was dead on in everything they said. I just happened to do it prior to them posting it! Like I said, got lucky and picked all the right techniques. Also, a lot of guys left at 6pm and the bite was good from 4-8pm then it just died (or moved shallower). 22′ of water moved up to 14′ of water as the night went on and we found the “spot within the spot” and used the record on the Terrova to just go back and forth on it. I’ll be up there again next week…got a bad case of walleye vision.

thegun
    mn

Nice fish right there!

and nice job Steve

thegun
    mn

they were the only one catching keepers!

we went down a couple times and got plenty of walleyes over 15″ kept a couple limits of all walleyes last time out.. everything over 20″ went back.. The old man still mad about that!

Grawler

I’m sure we weren’t the only ones catching keepers on pool 4 that day. Out of all fish I saw other boats catch, not one was over 15″. Not saying it didn’t happen, just what I saw.

We didn’t go with Randy, we were introduced to him later that night while out eating dinner. Great guy.

CPRbigeyes
    Iowa

Awesome! Sure makes you not want to come back to central Iowa huh?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Great guy.

Rule #3 on P4: Don’t give rrr a bigger head.

I kid, he’s a great catfish guide.

Moving on.. When I heard about your early motor troubles and Steve helping out, I thought to myself “can’t get help like that at the other area ramps!”

Glad you guys ended up with a memorable trip all the way around.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Nice day for you Nate,
    Congrats, and Welcome to IDO….
    Jack

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Quote:

Great guy.

I kid, he’s a great catfish guide.

..Day time cat guide YOU OWN the NIGHT. …Nate it sure was great to meet you guys ..I had a fun time you guys rrr a HOOT. …Look me up when you come up again. …rrr

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.