ATV through Pepin?

• ozzyky
    On water

Anyone got the scoop on this? I haven’t been out there since the 5th but heard this happened within the last day or two. When I was out there last there was 12-14 inches in the channel and 16-20 on the lake. Apparently she can go in a hurry. I didn’t check the rivergauges maybe the flow increased alot over the last few days with this rain, that can really affect the channel.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

i dont have much info on this but what my neighbor seen on the news and he said, that a 59 year old on a 4-wheeler pulling a trailer with two shacks on it went throught the ice. the 4-wheeler seperated from the trailer and sunk leaving the trailer and shacks on the ice, a friend of the driver pulled him to safety. i will say this about pepin, you are correct on the ice thickness as of recent but it can go fast in spots if flow increases. i fell through walking on 6-8 inches two years ago up along point no point in the middle of no where. there was no point there to created any more flow than usual but there may have been a log creating a eddie that ate the ice out. the lake is just a big river and the ice can never be trusted but im assuming this guy went through near a point or possibly debree under the ice creating an edie.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have noticed this same ebb and flow of ice thickness on the Croix by 94. The ice can change very quickly in high flow areas. Seems to happen after a snow event for sure and even slight temp increases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.