whats the weight usually used when draggin jigs?

• salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

After spending monday putting away my boat for the year, Ive had a bit of nextyearitis and have been planning out a list of must haves for the next season. This was the first year Ive even attempted trolling, so Id like to add dragging jigs to my repetoire as well. When casting I usually used 1/4 or 3/8 jigs depending on depth/current, do these same weights work when dragging? Or is something heavier like a 1/2oz jig head more effective? How much line out is the norm, 100 feet? Or is dragging length determined through trial and error? Tanks ahead of time for the replies.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

One thing I couldn’t tell for sure…where you guys trolling up stream or slow drifting down???
    Thanks for the help, great video.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Nice video about draggin jigs

I had good luck using H20 draggin jigs last Summer on P2 pitching crawlers on WD faces. They are indeed very snag resistant with a good hook up%…Never would have thought about using a blue jig head but will have to try it next Summer on the river.

Northeast MPLS

You can drag downstream or up….Typically I am dragging in shallow water, jigs weights of 1/16 or 1/8. There are variables and excepttions to the rules.

Look around for the jig dragging video Mr. Holst made, It is a perfect “how to” tutorial on fishing this technique, then get out and fish, be patient, because it will pay off.
    also dig into archives from last winter as there were many discussions on this topic.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

James makes it look pretty ez. Up or down changes all the time, speeds change, size of jig all subject to change to really Thump em. Used to swear AT draggin jigs, now I don’t drag without em, so I guess I swear BY them. . Light as u can get with boat control usually better off but if ur on the right pod it doesn’t really matter.

maurice

have been dragging jigs while drifting or pulling with trolling motor(depends on the wind) for over 20 years–love it as the method is up close and personal started out with 1/4 once then to 1/8 ounce have settled 1/16 ounce as the goto weight–good luck–snagged

kroger3
    blaine mn

Typically its lighter then you think but all depends on current and depth. Generally I will start a little heavy and work my way lighter and when I can just barley tick the bottom with a lighter jig I will then go one size smaller.

buschman
    Pool 2

1/8 oz with a bigger profile bait like the pulse-r or moxies has been working just fine in these water conditions. If you go to a ringworm or ringer you will notice the difference and can drop to 3/32 or 1/16

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.