3/19 pool 2

• riverdan

a situation came up today that prevented me from getting out on the river early but I needed a fix so I went out on pool 2, being its less then 5 minutes from the house, pulled into the 494 launch and I was surprised to see the parking lot empty when I came up over the hill to put the boat in I realized why, the river was pretty rough but I came to fish, went up by the airport and tucked sort of out of the wind and pitched lumber, picked up 4 different species, I knew when I boated the first 14″ walleye and then another it was time to move, next area had some stripers and as I worked around broke off on something big retied and a couple cast later a fish smacked the 3/32 firecracker almost tore the rod out of my hand, turned out to be a nice snot rocket, as the daylight was fading moved down to another area and picked a sauger right away and just couldn’t seem to get a solid hook set on the thumps I was getting, the lighting was in the sky and I could hear the thunder so I reeled up and battled waves back to the landing, the wind really limited where I could fish and made it tough to pitch but all and all I’d do it again!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

sort of out of the wind and pitched lumber, picked up 4 different species…

This has been my approach last 2-3 trips out on P2. Seems like this wind just won’t let up. I have been pitching these same areas (wood)with light flu-flu jigs and hook/bobber/minnow rigs. Just looking for crappies or anything to pull the line. Hooked into a snot rocket like yours that about yanked the rod out of my hand too. Fun stuff.

Crappies remain illusive….next time.

-J.

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

Today I fished in watergate marina (in the no wake zone down from the ford dam) and found PILES of crappies, they were all the way back along the first set of docks. I was throwing a spinner bait for smallies but tossed a little green jig and they went wild. They were in schools cruising right underneath the surface.

shumpy
    Bloomington MN

Watergate is really a great spot for just about everything. Just curious, has anyone else ever run into trouble fishing in there? A crabby tenant there one year tried to convince me I couldn’t fish in there, but I stayed. Then on the way out I noticed the “No fishing in harbor” sign posted on the fuel dock. Now I’m not so sure.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I didn’t want to hear that about the Marina. On Sunday we went to the confluence to put lines out while we rigged up for some crappies in there. We never went because the action was good at the confluence (for cats). Bummer.

I (or anyone) can email the East Metro DNR office to get an answer about fishing in there. I don’t know how any water can be off limits. Was the sign about fishing from the docks?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Way to get after them
    Jack

shumpy
    Bloomington MN

Quote:

I didn’t want to hear that about the Marina. On Sunday we went to the confluence to put lines out while we rigged up for some crappies in there. We never went because the action was good at the confluence (for cats). Bummer.

I (or anyone) can email the East Metro DNR office to get an answer about fishing in there. I don’t know how any water can be off limits. Was the sign about fishing from the docks?

The sign simply says, “No fishing in harbor”. I intended to contact the DNR but never got around to it with all the other spots I use. The sign is right on the fuel dock when you go in there.

Chode2235

I would just suggest to be a gentleman about it. I’m sure this time of year there isn’t too much of a problem as there isn’t a lot of action with pleasure boaters.

Later in the year when they’re running their gas dock and those big boats are going in and out all day, its probably best to stay out of the way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.