Outboard problems…

• blind_eyes

I have a 98 125 Hp Merc (remote) that is acting up. It seems as if the choke is stuck on. To engage the choke you merely have to push/hold in the key before starting the engine. I’m guessing that it is all electrical??? I was able to get the motor to run when I disconnected the fuel line but as soon as I would hook it up it would flood the engine and and start smoking due to the extra gas leaking into the engine compartment.
    The gas was new that day 93 octane plus half a bottle of SeaFoam. I’ve been running the boat at least once or twice a week all winter long, and ran perfect the day before. The key still pushes in and out.The only thing that had changed through out the year is we got caught in a snow storm on Friday. The boat got pretty wet, but we shovel out all the snow before putting the boat away (unheated garage, temps in the teens over night)
    I was just wondering if anyone has run into this problem and what they did to fix it. I would rather not take it in to get fixed but also don’t know a whole lot about the electrical side of outboards.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

dirt/dust – gets in everywhere

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Find the solenid that actuates the choke arm and disconnect the wire to it.

thegun
    mn

Quote:

Find the solenid that actuates the choke arm and disconnect the wire to it.

And if that dont work!!! put her in a heated garage and thaw her out>>

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

I have 2 jars comming up from tennessee. Sells out as fast as they get it in the likker store.

blind_eyes

I think it just needed this 65 degree weather. I’m going to go ahead and replace the spark plugs, and disconnect the the wire and hopefully everything is a go. After talking with a friend last night and checking through the motor it doesn’t seem like there was any major problem…thank God.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.