Draggin Jig colors?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

For you guys fishing the river this winter thought I would see what are the popular jig colors you like for draggin?

Last fall black draggin jigs was my main jig of choice. Worked great for draggin and pitching in the rocks here on pool 2. As the water cleared up the winter black has still been a decent choice but there have been some nights that the tiger bar series of H20 jigs with the glow eyes have been the way to go. Last night was one of them. Started out draggin with on the 1st pass 4 misses and 2 fish caught. After that it was hard hitting miss after miss. Tried a few different plastics with no luck until I grab the other rod with the tiger bar jig on it and the fish started sticking again.

One thing Im still trying to figure out right now is if its dark night they like dark jig and bright nights bright jigs. One unique situation we have on pool 2 is light conditions. Our brightest night are cloudy nights where the city lights reflect off the clouds. Clear nights for the most part are dark nights.

What are some of your guys favorite jig colors for dragging?

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Deans gold and silver glitter jigs. Worked for me last sat and sat night!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Jon caught this one Sunday night with a gold glitter jig and purple/chartruse ringworm.

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

Wow, that’s a belly on that eye. My favorites are black and blue, but if the water is murky or the fish are missing them then it is the pink or orange.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have been doing well with the black heads and the tiger pattern as well. For me it has not really been so much the color of the jig, it has been the plastic color that seemed to either catch fish or not catch fish.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That where I started out changing the plastics on the black dragging jig last night. Even tried shortening them up. They didnt want a short plastic at all. Full plastics would just get a hard miss. Full plastic on a different color jig and they started sticking.

buschman
    Pool 2

Pitching or dragging I use Char/orange 95% of the time. If its not working I might grab a black especially if I am tossing pro blue but really have not had to do that this year. Color and Profile of the tail has been more of a factor IMO as well.
    The were on to the white moxies last night!!!

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Only 3 jig colors IMO – darks, brights, and shiny. I’ve always been a bit of a skeptic regarding bait color importance, other factors seem to be more important.

Is that a P2 eye or P4 eye Mike?

JP

iowaeye

Nobody likes gold?

brianl

Any color that contrasts the color of the plastic/tail.

The ability of the fish to sillo-et (can’t spell it)a dark bait under darkness and a perhaps the light providing flash or glow,or other form of sillo-et on bright nights seems to work. I’m not a biologist, but have fished many situations at night and it seems to work, just can’t say for sure that’s why.

Or my favorite color is what’s catching fish!!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

For me, dark colors for dark nights, clear colors for bright nights,,,,but always run something different on the second rod. Char.orange core, char. Pepper, pro blue, firecracker with char. Tail are all high on the

confidence chart. This was last weekend, super dark night, no moon, 1/16oz jig with black ringie with char. tail. 10.1 pounds. Fish your confidence colors and you will do fine.

Doc

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Question for you Mike W. What is the go to weight you prefer for your “draggin” presentation?? Thanks, Mike M.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

1/8th ounce. Been working the 10 to 14′ depths a lot lately going up river. You could get by with a 16th if running the shallow side of that or running down river. 3/16th if deeper.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

For you guys in the metro looking for draggin jigs and other BfishN tackle products Jake over at Joes said he restocked them a few day ago. Have also heard the Thorne Brothers is supposed to be stocking BfishN tackle this spring to. Have not been in there lately to see if its in yet or not.

I would assume 4 seasons is the place to go for draggin jigs in the red wing area. Dotn get down that way to often anymore but it sounds like he is pretty well stocked on river tackle.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Mike,

Do you recall what the water temperature was on P2? How about floating ice?

I was out on P3 last Friday evening and the water was only 33.5 F on the Mississippi with quite a bit of floating ice in spots at times. The water from the St. Croix was a touch warmer at about 34.7 F. On Saturday the water temperature on P4 in the dam area was about 38.5. The nuke plant apparently dumps a lot of heat into the river.

Thanks,

Boone

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My temp gauge is off right now. Its read any where from mid 40 to mid 30s the last few trips. Cant believe it is right. If I had to guess I would say with in a degree or 2 of 32 degrees.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Temps on P2 are about 37.5 +/- 1 degree, and it’s been steady for at least a week. And yes, Joe’s is stocked up on B Fish N products. I hit them up yesterday. The stand-alone rack for B Fish N is up front now, near the live bait area.

P.S. They might be low on white moxies. And to anyone who didn’t vote for the clear/silver glitter over white core color pattern in the B Fish N color thread, shame on you!

buschman
    Pool 2

I just put a bigger dent in that white!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

When I made my spring order last year about 75% of it was white moxies and paddle tails. Good color all summer long for many fish.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

When nothing is working, put on a white paddle tail. It’ll catch anything that swims.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Below are two really nice white moxie fish Joe and I caught earlier this week (27.5″/9.5# and 30″/12.1#). If we had had the clear/silver glitter over white core color, I’m sure we would have done ever better.

P.S. That’s not my thumb on the fish’s chin, it’s some sort of growth on the fish. If anyone else sees or has seen her, I’d love to hear about it!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Show offs. Very nice fish guys.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Great fish John and Joe. You guys are off to a good start on pool 2.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.