Upper Pool 2 Report

• Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

After finishing a few chores I decided to head to Pool 2 to try my luck. With temps in the 50’s I had to give it a try. It was getting late in the afternoon so went to a shore spot that has been good to me. I made it down there about 15 minutes before sunset.

I have always used live bait when shore fishing. I never had luck with plastics and don’t have much confidence throwing them from shore. The first spot I tried was very rocky all the way out to the channel and not a good spot for my set up. I was using a 1/8th oz. black BFN jig head with a purple/chartreuse paddle tail. I moved down the shoreline and 50 yards to a spot that drops off quickly into sand with rocks close to shore. On my first cast I raise my rod to tighten the line and immediately felt tension. My first thought was, great I didn’t move far enough down and I’m still in the rocks. Then I feel the headshake and game on. I went on to catch 8 walleyes in 30 minutes. They were all pretty much cookie cutter fish (17”-18”).

The method that worked for me was casting straight out to the channel and retrieving it back by raising and lowering the rod tip while slowly reeling to keep the line tight. As soon as I started to bump rocks I would reel in fast and cast back out. The fish seemed to be out in the sand on the edge of the channel. There was no missing the bite as they were hammering the paddle tail. All my fish had the whole paddle tail/jig in their mouth. Today should give me some needed plastic confidence.

One question for you Pool 2 veterans. Do you ever see big fish mixed in with these cookie cutter fish? I have been up and down Upper Pool 2 in the boat and I usually find areas like this were you can hammer this size fish but I never catch a big gal amongst them. Do you continue to fish the area or do you move on.

Between some great fishing on Pool 4 yesterday, and tonight’s action on Pool 2, it sure takes the sting away from the whole no ice situation.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice mess of cookies. Thanks for the read…

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

I don’t have tons of experience fishing P2 walleyes. I can say I’ve only found a few spots that produce large walleye regularly and we don’t see any fish less than 25″ mixed in. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

I have done the same thing. I have found places were large fish can be caught, but no little guys mixed in. The same thing in reverse, the spot were you catch one little guy after another seems to be void of large fish. You would think there would be one large one in there every once in awhile. I was just downstream from this spot in a boat in October and found a school like last night. I must have caught 20 walleyes in that spot and the size did not vary more than 2″. Oh well, it was still a fun night.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nice pics!

We found the larger Eyes were scattered way up in shallow shoreline areas last night and not on the wingdams…there we also found the 17-20″ fish.

I have no way to post my report/pics from here…but will tomorrow from my home PC…

micah-witham
    Richfield

Ryan
    I have been kicking around the idea of fishing pool 1 for walleyes as I think, if I have read the regs correctly you could keep some walleyes. Does anyone know much about pool 1 and keeping fish? When my boat did work, I contemplated locking up to P1 and fishing but how would I convince anyone I caught those fish on 1 instead of 2 if I were to get checked?
    Would love to join you from shore on 1 if you’re looking for company ever. Let me know.
    Micah

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Shore fishing pool 1 and keeping fish should not be any problem. Now boating up there and locking back down to pool 2 to load up may be a issue. I always figured a person was not able to be in possession of walleyes on pool 2. You could run up the MN and do the same thing.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I think Mike nailed it — you can’t possess walleyes on pool 2 no mater where you caught them. If you figure out how to launch above the ford dam, let me know. As for shore fishing, you should be able to do well from shore on the east side of the river just below 94. I’ve caught a bunch in that area myself from a boat on a couple of occasions.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

If somebody wanted to fish walleyes from a boat and was brave enough to eat them, they could conceivably lock through from St. Anthony and back out that way and keep the fish. Eventually, its likely that nobody will be able to fish P1 from a boat…because I think they’re looking at closing the locks to both recreational and commercial traffic to help mitigate the spread of carp.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Nice fish BTW…

Usually I don’t find big fish hangin with smaller fish…but there’s always exceptions. If they’re mixed, the big fish is usually on the spot on the spot…near that timber or snag that keeps taking your jigs from ya.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.