Pool 14 Brief Report

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

My last few trips, over the last 10 days or so, have been fair to good for legal sized eyes and a slot fish here and there.
    We have been concentrating our efforts in off current back waters and sloughs, and found cooperative fish in a number of spots. The key for us was finding bait fish in a transition area. Either a sharp depth transition, a change in bottom composition, or sand to weed or mud transition. Seeing bait fish on the electronics was our trigger to fish a specific area. As the bait fish moved, we did our best to follow.
    The majority of our fish where caught on hair jigs tipped with a half crawler or a leech. Today, however, we did a little trolling on some seams on the main river and found a few nice eyes there as well. With the level and flow forecast to begin dropping in the next few days, this bite should really pick up soon.
    If you’ve been waiting for the river to stabilize before chasing walleyes on pool 14, you are missing a really solid backwater bite now. Give it a try!

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

A blast as usual. Still can’t believe how fat those fish were. Just got done eating the one I took home. Hope you and the family enjoy the rest. Thanks Trigger.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

SHHHH! you can’t catch eye’s in high water.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Trigger with the first fish of the day.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

One other note I need to add. With the very high air and water temps for this time of year, it is critical to make a quick and careful release, especially on the big girls that take some time to get to the boat.

We have kept a few for the pan the last couple times out, and even with the aearator running in the live well these fish are not lasting long without icing the water from time to time. We have not been taking the time even for pics of most fish to avoid any more time out of the water than is absolutely necessary. Let’s keep this pool on it’s way to be a world class walleye fishery. If you want pics, I would suggest having the camera at the ready and getting the pic as quickly as possible, and please take the time to revive the fish properly in the water before turning her loose!

kylem86

Was out for a few hours today, plenty of fish to catch just had a hard time putting keepers in the boat!

CatLance
    Donahue, Iowa

Fished it yesterday. Had great results. We were running floaters wih Leeches and bottom bouncers along rip rap. Caught, Channels, Flatheads, Sheephead, Walleye, Sauger, White bass, and Blue gills. Great day to be out other than the storms. Lance

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.