Walleye cheeks

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I agree. The bigger the better.

Save the cheeks and toss the rest up on shore and watch the racoons kick it into the river for the turtles.

Nothing goes to waste in nature…not even my BS. mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. Sturdiwheat-Cajun-Walleye-Cheeks.jpg

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

Save the cheeks and toss the rest up on shore and watch the racoons kick it into the river for the turtles.

Nothing goes to waste in nature…not even my BS. mrgreen

. Perfect solution to the over population of bass on the Mississippi River jester

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

A lot of the lakes I fish are stocked and not much natural reproduction. Every once in a while I will keep one up to 23″, 24″, one fish is a meal instead of 3 smaller fish. I will pull the blood line out and butterfly the back fillet. Wings, cheeks. All good!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Yes!!

And let’s not forget about the biggest lake sturgeon. Have you tried Sturdiwheat Sturgeon Steaks skillet fried?

Nothing better though than a hearty sturgeon stew on a chilly afternoon.

Of course for those not wanting to hassle with the whole fish, just cut out the caviar and roll it back into the water.

Attachments:
    1. sturgeonstew.jpg

2. sturgeonsteaks.jpg

3. caviar.jpg

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

A couple years ago I was up ice fishing on LOTW with 2 friends. Were catching 14″-15″ walleye and sauger. When it came time to clean our fish the other 2 guys said the fish were to small to take the cheeks out.
    So, I proceeded to take cheeks out of all the fish we cleaned.They sure made for a nice hors’dourve, albeit small they were still good.

Sam Rahman

Biggest I’ve ever kept and ate was 23″ – against my better judgement…Delicious. Probably won’t do it again just to keep the numbers up but almost as tasty as the 16-18″.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Have you tried Sturdiwheat Sturgeon Steaks skillet fried?

I missed this one in October! LOL! toast

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Ask the guys who fish Erie ? A friend brought back numerous 25 to 32 inch eyes from there and he said they ate like any other .

Deuces

Well since this got bumped I’ll add onto my OP, big fish taste darn good! With leech lakes limit change has allowed for some big fish eaten, and one from the Miss last fall. Very good. Stomache contents very interesting.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Maybe just cut out the cheeks and let the fish go? They should grow those back?

They do. I’ve cut cheeks out of 3 fish prior to releasing and still haven’t caught any cheekless walleyes.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.