Walleye Anglers vs Bass Anglers

• Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

The difference between Bass fishermen and Walleye fishermen Bass fishermen catches legal Walleye keeps it, Walleye guy catches a legal Bass throws it back. And this is the truth, me personally every Bass guy I know that caches a legal Walleye keeps it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The difference between Bass fishermen and Walleye fishermen <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Bass fishermen catches legal <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleye keeps it, <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye guy catches a legal <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Bass throws it back. And this is the truth, me personally every Bass guy I know that caches a legal Walleye keeps it.

So your saying they both keep legal walleyes and both throw back legal bass ?

Dan
    Southeast MN

People wait until 2am to get after the fat girls?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

People wait until 2am to get after the fat girls?

At 2am, you take anything that has a vagina.

matt

Walleyes thrive in warm dirty water.Everyone likes to think they only thrive and reproduce in cold clear water lakes.A couple degree change in water temps over a number of years isnt going to set walleyes back as far as some may think whether stocked or naturally reproduced.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>
    How many bass pros do you see doing walleye events between their bass events? 0

I think that has more to do with the prize and cost for them to do a walleye tourney doesn’t make sense, while most of the best walleye guys fish the open derby’s for the paycheck and increased notoriety.

So walleye fishermen go to bass events and cash checks? Agreed. Because bass are easy to catch compared to walleye…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The last couple years on Mille Lacs I’ve caught way more walleyes than bass. And that is targeting smallmouth exclusively with artificial lures. The walleyes are almost a nuisance at times. May not be like that this season if the walleyes aren’t starving tho.

So there’s at least one place where bottom feeders are easier to catch.

Just sayin’

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The difference between Bass fishermen and Walleye fishermen <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Bass fishermen catches legal <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleye keeps it, <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye guy catches a legal <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Bass throws it back. And this is the truth, me personally every Bass guy I know that caches a legal Walleye keeps it.

That may be true with most of the so called bass guys that you know. Not the ones I know. I probably catch 20-30 Walleyes a year while Bass fishing ( They hammer a Jig worm and Dropshot on the outside weed edge or rock pile’s ) I know many other Bass fishermen who also catch a ton of walleyes each summer and never keep one of them. I catch all the walleyes I want to eat while targeting them each summer in the early and late season.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

As a walleye snob, I’ve often thought bass were “easier” to catch. Bass were always a bycatch while walleye fishing and at times, you can catch them at will.

Fast forward a few years and I dabbled in the bass tournament scene out here in Idaho. There are a lot of bass clubs and tournament opportunities almost every weekend. Since walleyes and walleye tournaments aren’t as common, it was a way to fish competitively without driving hours and hours. What I found is that while catching bass is still pretty easy, finding the right 5 big bites to be competitive is very difficult. For the walleye guys that think bass are easy to catch, throw a couple hundred bucks into a decent size bass tournament and see where that gets you. Just like in the walleye world, the top of each tournament field has everything absolutely dialed in. Big fish of any species are tough. Takes time, effort, dedication to perfect your craft.

Tommy K

Best post ever.
    I know I’m new to the site but here we go.
    I use to be hard core Bass fisherman tournaments etc.

Now over the last 20 years I have the walleye bug.

I’m 53 years of age and never run into a rude bass fisherman.

How come when I walleye fish on lakes and rivers I have people
    on top me when I net a fish, fallow me, Run on top or outside of my planer boards, Or jump in front of me when I’m working structure?

I think most fishermen are respectful of one another but I have already witness poor sportsmanship over the opening weekend and they weren’t out of state.

respectfully submitted,
    Tom Kennedy

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

That’s an interesting take TK, and I don’t think you’re wrong. I do think opening weekend is a bit of a unique situation. Many smaller lakes, IMO, have walleye spots, and spots on the spots, that everybody wants to fish. On opening weekend I just assume I’m going to be competing for real estate. Rest of the year, I seek out areas with no other boats.

Or, maybe the difference is because bass are so easy to catch, you can literally go anywhere on the lake and catch em! devil jester

big_g
    Isle, MN

Lets face it.. if a guy is catching bass, why would anyone want to cut in on that ?

Rude bass fisherman..? head south and watch all the dock bangers get into it with the locals !!!

tim hurley

Pike are a blast, so are dogfish!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can do without both, especially the doggy.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Yes they are. Up until they start stealing lures.

Mark Uidenich

I was looking forward to watching the MTV DEATH MATCH video

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I was walleye fishing out on the Pond all day yesterday.
    Caught a bucket full of these guys. No walleyes.

Halfway thru the day I couldn’t drink that skunky Corona anymore and had me a Busch lite.
    By the end of the day I put in a dip of Cope.
    On the ride home I tuned to the Nascar network.
    Git-r-done.

Attachments:
    1. Bass-Fishin.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was walleye fishing out on the Pond all day yesterday.
    Caught a bucket full of these guys. No walleyes.

Halfway thru the day I couldn’t drink that skunky Corona anymore and had me a Busch lite.
    By the end of the day I put in a dip of Cope.
    On the ride home I tuned to the Nascar network.
    Git-r-done.

Oh damn epg. That bass looks good in your hands. Fun fish to catch.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Saltwater guys be like

Justin Donson

Here’s how I view it.

1. SMALL bass ARE easier to find/catch than small walleyes, especially in the metro, and it’s not even close.

2. BIG fish(like, to place high in a tournament) are hard for any species, I think you really need to know what you are doing.

So on MOST lakes, ignoring size, it’s probably easier to catch SOME bass than it is to catch SOME walleye. But how many lakes are a night bite for walleye? Sure, it’s going to be hard for me to catch a lot of walleye at noon on a saturday on Tonka, but that’s really my fault, not because bass are trash or something.

Also, the scales can tip the other way on the really good walleye lakes. I fished lake of the woods last weekend and we caught 72 walleye/sauger in 5 hours and we never moved more than 50 yards from our initial spot. I’m far from a walleye savant, we heard a general location was good, drove there and stopped once we marked some fish and that was it. Don’t think there’s a lot of bass spots that are going to work that way.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Um… find a dock

Justin Donson

Um… find a dock

You’ve caught 70 bass under one dock? Maybe I’m fishing the wrong docks!

Jensen

Bass are easier to catch because there is more of them than walleye due to people keeping every walleye they catch as to most bass get released.

Slipbob nick

Working the shallows for bass on a fly rod is where it’s at. Walleye fishing is enjoyable when you are at a place that has walleyes.

My take: fishing for walleyes on lakes that don’t have many is as enjoyable as running on a treadmill.

I think bass seem easier to catch cause even here in walleye land most lakes have bass not all have walleye

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    Um… find a dock

You’ve caught 70 bass under one dock? Maybe I’m fishing the wrong docks!

more than that.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This is hard for me to say….and the first time I have publicly admitted it. But, I like to fish for pike.

(Audible gasp)

Feels so good to just say it!

Me too. I’d honestly rather fish pike than bass any day.

Slipbob nick

How about carp? Nothing beats a carp in the current on spinning gear trying to yank the rod out of your hand. Pulling like a freight train.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>
    Saltwater guys be like

Hilarious!
    toast

I actually miss the old bass ponds by the old house. I do have a half acre pond right next to me. Its full of bass, but only up to about 3# max.

Haven’t caught a walleye out of it yet.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.