Wall Mount garage door openers

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

So I built a 30X56 barn this past year with 12′ doors at each end so I could drive through with the icehouse, boat whatever. Now I want to put openers on the doors and am looking at wall mount styles. Anyone have experience with them? Any brand recommendations?
    TIA!

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

They work great, I have a Chamberlain and my door is 18 foot long and 9 foot high. It is a little slower and if you have really high door, find an industrial model

CaptainMusky

So I built a 30X56 barn this past year with 12′ doors at each end so I could drive through with the icehouse, boat whatever. Now I want to put openers on the doors and am looking at wall mount styles. Anyone have experience with them? Any brand recommendations?
    TIA!

My dad had one and had lots of trouble with it. It was a chamberlain I think. He lives in northern Minnesota and it was tough to get someone in the area who knew how to fix them. He finally just replaced it with a regular chain drive unit since he was always battling with it. There may be other brands that are better, but this one was definitely not good. It was however nearly 15 years old now, but he was having trouble basically from the beginning.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

we have put in a lot of LiftMaster 8500W with the battery back-up. I have ZERO warranty calls on them so far. Just verify max door height and weight for any opener you select.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I will be following this thread since I only have room to put in a wall mount unit. I don’t have enough head room to put in an overhead unit. I was considering the Chamberlin, but have not done any research on it yet.

CaptainMusky

we have put in a lot of LiftMaster 8500W with the battery back-up. I have ZERO warranty calls on them so far. Just verify max door height and weight for any opener you select.

Sounds good. Perhaps the newer models are a lot better. I like the idea of these style since you dont have that dang track overhead but after seeing the frustration my dad had I got a traditional one.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

I have the LiftMaster 8500W works great. Back-up battery with WiFi. I can open and close the door from my phone.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Randy, any issues installing the cable tension sensor where they indicate? Doesn’t look like a lot of room, especially once the door starts moving upward.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. GDO-drum-and-cable.jpg

1. LM-8500W-tension-sensor.pdf
    buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Following as well…have doors ordered but have not really dug into openers.

I’m pretty green on the topic. Have wall mount ones been around quite a while? Any witnessed longevity issues?

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

Mine just fit.

Attachments:
    1. F5BD2F52-4F16-4DCA-A78D-112C66C6A957-scaled.jpeg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

Randy, any issues installing the cable tension sensor where they indicate? Doesn’t look like a lot of room, especially once the door starts moving upward.

HRG

No issues have been brought to my attention. I’m just the GC when it comes to the doors and openers. But I am the first person the home owner calls for everything. I let those kids that know what they are doing install it all. For all my new construction, we just do an over-kill in framing so everything is set up and blocking in place. If/when required, pre-wire so everything is buried in the wall and no exposed wires

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I had singled out the Liftmaster mentioned above and think I’ll go ahead and order a couple today. I am going to pay $100 apiece to have them installed and will report back either good or bad.
    Thanks guys!

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Definitely worth the money! I ended up with a genie as my door guy couldn’t get me a lift master last fall.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

When is my your storage shed going to be done? Look forward to checking it out and finding a spot for my fictional boat rotflol jester rotflol

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

When is my your storage shed going to be done? Look forward to checking it out and finding a spot for my fictional boat rotflol jester rotflol

all done!

Attachments:
    1. 20211005_163154-scaled.jpg

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I asked my salesman on my new house what the price difference would be. (Action Overhead) He said every feature that was available (wifi/battery backup) is included on the standard door openers I have in my contract. He said it’s not worth it for the side mount even though it would be a higher sale for him.

That being said, I have two buddies that have the side mounts and love them. (Which is why I asked my salesman)

Johnboy
    Illinois

I have 3 0f them in my shop. I have had problems with the remote ceiling lights coming on for no reason.
    I bought them at Menard’s and got 11% off.
    They are very easy to install.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.