Walking Baits(Spooks)

• Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

In the past month or so, I have started using walking baits for smallies quite a bit and i am so happy i did. These baits have drawing power like no other. I never knew these things worked so well. I’ve used several different Heddon baits along with KVD Sexy Dawgs. For me at least, walking baits have been working better than jerkbaits, tubes, flukes, poppers and senkos for the whole smallie season. Big pike really like these lures as well. I am wondering if anyone here has had the same kind of luck on them. If anyone has, what kind is your favorite. Any response is appreciated.

robby
    Quad Cities

Smallies love topwater baits, no doubt about that. They will rise from many feet deep and crush these. Torpedo baits (spooks) are a good one. Give buzzbaits and Rage Tail Shad a try too!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I use both the Spooks and the JR’s. I take the middle table off to help with releases.

FDR

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Love the Rapala Skitter Walks…I actually prefer the Saltwater size (11) for smallies. Just need to change to freshwater hooks.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Super Spook Jr., Chug Bugs, Spook Puppies, amongst others work really well on smallies. I have a whole Plano just filled with walking baits.

Bass_attack

I have some but I dont use them enough. I seen them on sale in a cabelas ad a few days ago if you would be interested in purchasing more and saving some dough.

basseyes

Walking big tubes can be kinda an off beat tactic. Not as fun as them hitting actual topwater baits, but can be effective if fish aren’t hooking up or are just a tad bit apprehensive and aren’t fully committed to throttle a top water.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Yeah, they’re fun to use. Takes a little skill to the cadence.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

This year I’ve had some success with 130 Whopper Ploppers for smallies and largies. Haven’t tried the 1/2oz one yet for smallies, but know it will work great. Great thing about the lures is you can throw them a long ways on the right tackle just like a spook.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Heddon Spooks over thick, submerged vegetation is one of my favorite techniques. Those things will call fish up from 15 ft of water. They are very easy to walk as well. It can be deadly. I like FDR’s idea of taking off the middle treble as releasing can be a bit tedious with all those trebles everywhere.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.