VMC Spoon Hooks

• Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Couple questions with this one.

1. What hooks does VMC use on their spoons?
    2. What are your thoughts on up sizing hooks and or adding a split ring?

I have never done it and I’m thinking about giving it a try on a few colors

Thanks!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A lot will depend on the spoon and its action. Trebles come in all sorts of fashions from short shanked-light wire to fairly heavy wire in 3X with longer shanks. You don’t mention what type of spoon. One like the one eye which is heavy and designed to hang straight down off the line can use a heavier wire hook with a slightly longer shank since the whole unit gets jigged straight up without a huge amount of peripheral motion. A lure like the Jigging Rapala is an action lure with a lot of peripheral travel and can will handle a larger hook just fine as long as the hook is made of light wire and having a shorter shank to help keep the treble from wrapping over the top of the lure when its being worked.

What spoon are you referring to?

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

A lot will depend on the spoon and its action. Trebles come in all sorts of fashions from short shanked-light wire to fairly heavy wire in 3X with longer shanks. You don’t mention what type of spoon. One like the one eye which is heavy and designed to hang straight down off the line can use a heavier wire hook with a slightly longer shank since the whole unit gets jigged straight up without a huge amount of peripheral motion. A lure like the Jigging Rapala is an action lure with a lot of peripheral travel and can will handle a larger hook just fine as long as the hook is made of light wire and having a shorter shank to help keep the treble from wrapping over the top of the lure when its being worked.

What spoon are you referring to?

I use the tingler and the rattle spoon the most.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Sorry Frenchman, I didn’t answer you too well. I think most of those spoons can take a hook one size larger as long as the hook is in line with what the lure comes with as far as wire size and approx. weight. Too large up an up-size and you can mess with the lure’s inherent action.

Split rings are usually a good add on if the lure has none from the maker. I add a ring to the top as a line tie and at the bottom so the hook has more movement.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I upsize hooks on them routinely, especially on the 1/8oz Tingler and Rattle spoons. I put #8 Gamakatsu on them, or at least the ones I use the most.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.