Vexilar flx-28 problem

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

So I was on Devils lake this last weekend and my 28 would lock up and I would have to shut it off and turn it back on to get it to work again. I called them and the customer service said to turn it on hit the IR button twice and it wouldn’t do that. It is just a temp fix as they said I need to send it to them for a software update that will fix the problem. My only problem with that is that I would send it in the spring and wouldn’t use it again till the next winter. If it doesn’t fix it I couldn’t return it to the Scheels and would be stuck with it. I have thought about returning and going with a lx-7, but I really prefer how simple the 28 is to run. Has anyone had this update done to theirs and did it fix it? Im torn on what to do. I really like the unit as I upgraded from a fl-18 and would be totally happy if it didn’t lock up. Im not very tech savvy and the lx-7 has a lot of buttons that I could frankly screw it up by pressing them. Any insight would be great.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

Call Vex, they are aware of the problem and turnaround is same day. If you can put up with it till after the season, they will fix it then. They really do have outstanding service, give them a call. It sounds like all the this years batch have the same problem.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Call Vex, they are aware of the problem and turnaround is same day. If you can put up with it till after the season, they will fix it then. They really do have outstanding service, give them a call. It sounds like all the this years batch have the same problem.

I have the same problem and have talked with Vex and my retailer. I am going to wait till spring and then all I have to do to test it is put the transducer in a 5 gal bucket of water and watch.

Vexilar’s customer service is the best there is IMHO and I have no problem with waiting till spring. The Vex people told me that if I do get to the Twin Cities they can reprogram the unit while I wait. Said its literally less than a 5 minute job for the fix.

Kent Tau

I have heard of some friends having the same issues and they said the software did the fix, about 15 min services. This is only on the most current flx28. Mine is 1 year old and on its second season and I have never had any issues beside it rattles when really cold. I have used this unit a lot and in the coldest temp I can fish.

gonehunting

My friend and I each picked one up at the St. Paul Ice Show and need the software fix. I am in northern MN. Anyone know if Vexilar pays for the shipping of the unit both directions to get fixed. They have seen the ice only 2-3 times. Hope they step up to fix this issue. We can’t drive to the cities for a 5 min fix in the middle of the ice angling season.

kroger3
    blaine mn

My friend and I each picked one up at the St. Paul Ice Show and need the software fix. I am in northern MN. Anyone know if Vexilar pays for the shipping of the unit both directions to get fixed. They have seen the ice only 2-3 times. Hope they step up to fix this issue. We can’t drive to the cities for a 5 min fix in the middle of the ice angling season.

Give them a call and see 952-884-5291. Have your serial # ready when you call. Its on the back of the head unit.

ChangSupra88

Took mine in last week and only took 15mins to upgrade. Test it out on ice, no more screen freezing and seem to give out less noise. For the time being if you haven’t update, the rep recommend IR to be above 5 to prevent from screen freeze. I recommend taking it in or sending in as it will improve performance.

gonehunting

I bought two FL28s at the Ice Show. One for me and one for a buddy. Called Vexilar and found out that both need the software update and the cost to ship to them is out of my pocket. They pay return shipping. A little more than frustrating….

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Very interesting issue. I bought mine at the ice show a year ago and haven’t had one issue. Different software version maybe?

So I purchased my flx28 about 2 weeks ago and the second time out using it I was in 23ft of water and it would periodically say I was it 10ft of water and it would jump around for like a minute then it would go back to normal. A friend told me that the flx28 is very sensitive and when a big school of fish would come through it would jump around like that but I think my transducer is acting up. Any suggestions? please and thank you

B-man

So I purchased my flx28 about 2 weeks ago and the second time out using it I was in 23ft of water and it would periodically say I was it 10ft of water and it would jump around for like a minute then it would go back to normal. A friend told me that the flx28 is very sensitive and when a big school of fish would come through it would jump around like that but I think my transducer is acting up. Any suggestions? please and thank you

It’s very common with almost any graph if your sensitivity is too high and you’re in auto-mode. (Auto-depth)

Try turning down your gain or using a manual depth and see if the problem stops.

HelloHines

Interesting, I also am having issues with my FL28. I called Vexilar on Friday and they told me to stop down so I drove a hour 1 way today only for the guy to tell me it will be a week before they can even look at it and 2 weeks before they can fix it. Pretty frustrating to say the least that they didn’t even offer me or even try a “quick” fix. I’m either ordering a marcum or Humminbird today and will have my vexilar fixed this summer and sold on marketplace in the fall.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.