Vaccine Docu-Series Starts Tonight

• Brad Dimond

Moderators – please remove this from the forum.

not about fishing/hunting for sure. Not political or religious either though. Wouldn’t it be nice if people could have a nice calm discussion about world events or issues without getting upset

Ice Cap

Wouldn’t it be nice if people could have a nice calm discussion about world events or issues without getting upset

It doesn’t happen. Not here or on most other forums. James Holst has attempted to get his point across about keeping discussions central to fishing, hunting, boating etc. BK has stated no threads about virus or virus related subjects under threat of people who post those threads getting the boot. It doesn’t matter somebody tries to be cute and post something virus related or a hot button topic that’s non outdoor related like this one anyhow. Seems BK has been absent the last few days or maybe he just grew tired of the exercise in futility.

I agree that it won’t happen cordially. Wish it would though. Everybody gets so touchy about any difference of opinion nowadays.

Ice Cap

I agree that it won’t happen cordially. Wish it would though. Everybody gets so touchy about any difference of opinion nowadays.

There are thousands of forums out there where you can discuss these topics to any degree you want. The vast majority of them are bare knuckle keyboard brawls and a few are tightly moderated and keep things more on a civil level. It doesn’t take long to find either if you look.

I didn’t start the post, just commenting on things. I think a lot of people seek out sites like this because everybody on here is brought together by common interests. It is a shame that a group of people that share commonalities can’t have a discussion about world matters. I have posted more on here in the last few weeks because I, like a lot of people, have more free time than I normally do. I guess I have been surprised by how sensitive people are on here

basseyes

Everyone seems completely for something or completely against it. There can be no it has it’s risks and rewards dialogue, that seems the only wrong way both extremes agree on.

If you’re on either extreme, you just might be the problem, is what most fail to realize. Both ideologues and neocons are the problem.

travelNFish
    Nebraska

“Please take this somewhere else”
    Agreed, i get on here to see all fishing or hunting topics, i have FB for politics and fake news, marketplace ripoffs, and spam.

Agreed, i get on here to see all fishing or hunting topics, i have FB for politics and fake news, marketplace ripoffs, and spam.

Glad you mentioned it, I have an exciting multi-level marketing opportunity for you if you’re interested?

pass0047
    Pool4

In 1998, Andrew Wakefield and 12 of his colleagues[1] published a case series in the Lancet, which suggested that the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine may predispose to behavioral regression and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Despite the small sample size (n=12), the uncontrolled design, and the speculative nature of the conclusions, the paper received wide publicity, and MMR vaccination rates began to drop because parents were concerned about the risk of autism after vaccination.[2]

Almost immediately afterward, epidemiological studies were conducted and published, refuting the posited link between MMR vaccination and autism.[3,4] The logic that the MMR vaccine may trigger autism was also questioned because a temporal link between the two is almost predestined: both events, by design (MMR vaccine) or definition (autism), occur in early childhood.

The next episode in the saga was a short retraction of the interpretation of the original data by 10 of the 12 co-authors of the paper. According to the retraction, “no causal link was established between MMR vaccine and autism as the data were insufficient”.[5] This was accompanied by an admission by the Lancet that Wakefield et al.[1] had failed to disclose financial interests (e.g., Wakefield had been funded by lawyers who had been engaged by parents in lawsuits against vaccine-producing companies). However, the Lancet exonerated Wakefield and his colleagues from charges of ethical violations and scientific misconduct.[6]

The Lancet completely retracted the Wakefield et al.[1] paper in February 2010, admitting that several elements in the paper were incorrect, contrary to the findings of the earlier investigation.[7] Wakefield et al.[1] were held guilty of ethical violations (they had conducted invasive investigations on the children without obtaining the necessary ethical clearances) and scientific misrepresentation (they reported that their sampling was consecutive when, in fact, it was selective). This retraction was published as a small, anonymous paragraph in the journal, on behalf of the editors.[8]

The final episode in the saga is the revelation that Wakefield et al.[1] were guilty of deliberate fraud (they picked and chose data that suited their case; they falsified facts).[9] The British Medical Journal has published a series of articles on the exposure of the fraud, which appears to have taken place for financial gain.[10–13] It is a matter of concern that the exposé was a result of journalistic investigation, rather than academic vigilance followed by the institution of corrective measures. Readers may be interested to learn that the journalist on the Wakefield case, Brian Deer, had earlier reported on the false implication of thiomersal (in vaccines) in the etiology of autism.[14] However, Deer had not played an investigative role in that report.[14]

The systematic failures which permitted the Wakefield fraud were discussed by Opel et al.[15]

IMPLICATIONS
    Scientists and organizations across the world spent a great deal of time and money refuting the results of a minor paper in the Lancet and exposing the scientific fraud that formed the basis of the paper. Appallingly, parents across the world did not vaccinate their children out of fear of the risk of autism, thereby exposing their children to the risks of disease and the well-documented complications related thereto. Measles outbreaks in the UK in 2008 and 2009 as well as pockets of measles in the USA and Canada were attributed to the nonvaccination of children.[7] The Wakefield fraud is likely to go down as one of the most serious frauds in medical history.[9]

Scientists who publish their research have an ethical responsibility to ensure the highest standards of research design, data collection, data analysis, data reporting, and interpretation of findings; there can be no compromises because any error, any deceit, can result in harm to patients as well harm to the cause of science, as the Wakefield saga so aptly reveals. We sincerely hope that researchers will keep this ethical responsibility in mind when they submit their manuscripts to the Indian Journal of Psychiatry.

Article information
    Indian J Psychiatry. 2011 Apr-Jun; 53(2): 95–96.
    doi: 10.4103/0019-5545.82529
    PMCID: PMC3136032
    PMID: 21772639
    T. S. Sathyanarayana Rao and Chittaranjan Andrade1
    Department of Psychiatry, JSS Medical College Hospital, Mysore, India
    1Department of Psychopharmacology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
    Address for correspondence: Dr. T. S. Sathyanarayana Rao, Department of Psychiatry, JSS University, JSS Medical College Hospital, M.G. Road, Mysore – 570004, Karnataka, India. E-mail: moc.oohay@91oarsst
    Copyright © Indian Journal of Psychiatry
    This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
    This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
    Articles from Indian Journal of Psychiatry are provided here courtesy of Wolters Kluwer — Medknow Publications
    REFERENCES
    1. Wakefield AJ, Murch SH, Anthony A, Linnell J, Casson DM, Malik M, et al. Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet. 1998;351:637–41. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    2. DeStefano F, Chen RT. Negative association between MMR and autism. Lancet. 1999;353:1987–8. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    3. Taylor B, Miller E, Farrington CP, Petropoulos MC, Favot-Mayaud I, Li J, et al. Autism and measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine: No epidemiologic evidence for a causal association. Lancet. 1999;353:2026–9. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    4. Dales L, Hammer SJ, Smith NJ. Time trends in autism and in MMR immunization coverage in California. JAMA. 2001;285:1183–5. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    5. Murch SH, Anthony A, Casson DH, Malik M, Berelowitz M, Dhillon AP, et al. Retraction of an interpretation. Lancet. 2004;363:750. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    6. Horton R. A statement by the editors of The Lancet. Lancet. 2004;363:820–1. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    7. Eggertson L. Lancet retracts 12-year-old article linking autism to MMR vaccines. CMAJ. 2010;182:E199–200. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    8. Anonymous. Retraction-Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, nonspecific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet. 2010;375:445. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    9. Godlee F. The fraud behind the MMR scare. BMJ. 2011;342:d22. [Google Scholar]
    10. Deer B. Wakefield’s “autistic enterocolitis” under the microscope. BMJ. 2010;340:c1127. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    11. Deer B. How the case against the MMR vaccine was fixed. BMJ. 2011;342:c5347. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    12. Deer B. Secrets of the MMR scare.How the vaccine crisis was meant to make money. BMJ. 2011;342:c5258. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    13. Deer B. Secrets of the MMR scare. The Lancet’s two days to bury bad news. BMJ. 2011;342:c7001. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    14. Deer B. Autism research: What makes an expert? BMJ. 2007;334:666–7. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
    15. Opel DJ, Diekema DS, Marcuse EK. Assuring research integrity in the wake of Wakefield. BMJ. 2011;342:d2. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]

blackbay
    mn

To get back on track, here’s a picture of two ducks.

Attachments:
    1. ducks2.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

It seems the man himself said it best.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200422-195004_Chrome.jpg

Ripjiggen

Pass0047

Trust me 99 percent of the people here are not going to fully read this. You lost me at in 1998.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Pass0047

Trust me 99 percent of the people here are not going to fully read this. You lost me at in 1998.

X2 no way I’m reading that.

Reef W

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Pass0047

X2 no way I’m reading that.

Well, now we know why people still listen to Wakefield’s garbage. ???

David Bollig

I can’t believe antivaxxers are permitted on this site. They can spout there mindless drivel on Facebook along all the other looks,not here please.

Summary: the doctor Referenced in the original post faked the study linking vaccines to autism. The end.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I vote to have a political and social issues section added. That would provide a few people their avenue to vent and the rest of us a safe place to poke the bear and stoke the fire some.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.