Vaccinations – now considered a choice?

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I now have a 6 month old daughter and am hearing more and more that people are choosing to not vaccinate their children to protect them from potential side effects.

I guess I’m wondering when this became a choice? Is it still required in this state to provide proof of vaccination to attend public school?

I know how the older generations stand on this but I’m wondering if I’m missing something. I understand that there’s a movement that believes that vaccinations are causing autism, but this is without any scientific basis whatsoever.

How could someone possibly make the choice to endanger large populations beacuse of the unfounded belief that their child is at a higher risk of being harmed by the vaccination itself?

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

How could someone possibly make the choice to endanger large populations beacuse of the unfounded belief that their child is at a higher risk of being harmed by the vaccination itself?
    [/quote]

Plain and Simple answer? stupidity. I am all for people having the ability to choose what they want to do in most cases, thats what our country is about ( or should be) but when people make choices that not only effect themselves but have the possibility of endangering others, I cant stand by that. I feel that sometimes people need to feel relevant or whatever you want to call it, so they pick something to be ‘passionate’ about that sets them apart.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

A bill before Minnesota lawmakers would retain existing vaccine exemptions for medical reasons or in cases of personal belief. But parents or guardians of children claiming the personal-belief exemption would have to consult with a doctor about the risks associated with remaining unvaccinated. They also would have to acknowledge that their children could be barred from school or a child-care facility in the event of an outbreak. The bill has yet to be scheduled for a hearing.

Stupidity? I wouldn’t go as far as saying that.
    I don’t think its stupid for a parent to want to protect their child. As I may not agree with a religious choice not to vaccinate I sure wont call them stupid.
    Misinformed or unsure of the side effects of vacines can easily be rectified with propper access to information to make an informed decision.

Coercion and name calling does no good. States that have taken the aproach that this legislator in Mn introduced have shown a significant rise in vaccinations.
    Oddly, some states are trying to make it easier to opt out of vaccinations. As we can see coercion or talk about taking away one civil liberties a back lash is created.

Obviously call your senator and represenative and ask him/her if they know anything about the bill and let them know your views.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Aren’t they just endangering themselves or if you are vaccinated can you still get a disease? Do widespread vaccinations just make it very difficult for a disease to “establish” itself and cause an outbreak? Or is it that they endanger those too young for the vaccination that haven’t gotten the shot yet?

brad-o
    Mankato

I have a four month old and will be getting all vaccines. The only one that I question is the chicken pocks vaccine. With out the kids getting chicken pocks there is no active virus in the community. This leads to the up tick in shingles cases.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

This is going to be a lengthy thread…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Aren’t they just endangering themselves or if you are vaccinated can you still get a disease? Do widespread vaccinations just make it very difficult for a disease to “establish” itself and cause an outbreak? Or is it that they endanger those too young for the vaccination that haven’t gotten the shot yet?

There are actually lots of medical conditions that prevent some from being able to be vaccinated. Typically it’s some type of disease that effects the immune system. So the answer is no.

That’s why it’s so important for everyone possible to be vaccinated.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Oddly, some states are trying to make it easier to opt out of vaccinations. As we can see coercion or talk about taking away one civil liberties a back lash is created.

Not sure that I actually believe this. When more and more people are voluntarily opting out how could that cause vaccinations to increase. Maybe this is an obamacare result instead???

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

A bill before Minnesota lawmakers would retain existing vaccine exemptions for medical reasons or in cases of personal belief. But parents or guardians of children claiming the personal-belief exemption would have to consult with a doctor about the risks associated with remaining unvaccinated. They also would have to acknowledge that their children could be barred from school or a child-care facility in the event of an outbreak. The bill has yet to be scheduled for a hearing.

So this bill restricts the personal belief rights a little. I’m glad you posted this. This was really what I was interested in knowing.

I think this personal belief movement needs to be stopped. There are already measles and mumps outbreaks happening in areas where there are large numbers of unvaccinated people.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

This is going to be a lengthy thread…

I agree –

I assume “Frontline” was watched yesterday.

When the man was interviewing the 3 mothers from Oregon that were choosing NOT to vaccinate he asked all the wrong questions. He should have asked the mothers “what if all mothers choose not to vaccinate there children?”.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Is it still required in this state to provide proof of vaccination to attend public school?

This reminded me…Our daughter graduates from NDSU in May and was told she needed her vaccination records in order to graduate. It only took a phone call but it seemed odd to us and more of a protocol thing than a genuine concern since that was the first time it was brought up in five years.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

There are so many reasons and prospective to this discussion that it will be truly difficult to navigate all of them in complete detail. Having said this, parents deciding not to vaccinate their children is a growing trend that has been around for longer than most realize. There have been studies in communities like the Amish and Mennonites that have not seem the uptick of Autism cases. This is in comparison to the general public.

To be honest, there is so much money in this industry that is truly difficult to find an unbiased study.

FDR

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yes, I did watch frontline last night. They really portrayed the personal believers as unintelligent and ignorant. While that might be true, I find it hard to believe that is the majority.

However, I do understand the side that thinks that forcing vaccinations upon the public can ensure steady profit for companies like Pfizer, but I don’t know how anyone can argue the pure benefit. In a capitalistic country, most will only devote so much time and money into something only when there is the potential for personal profit or gain. That’s the way the human brain works best.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I just about threw my boot into the TV when Kennedy made his statement about mercury.
    Its difficult for me to comprehend how educated people can be so wrong. Unless they simply have ulterior motives.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

With all the diseases brought under control over the last century I dont see how anyone can say its about the money. As a matter of fact who cares how much it cost or how much someone made to wipe out polio, small-pocks and mumps!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Aren’t they just endangering themselves or if you are vaccinated can you still get a disease? Do widespread vaccinations just make it very difficult for a disease to “establish” itself and cause an outbreak?

What you are talking about is the concept of “herd immunity”. If the vast majority of a population is immune to a disease (by vaccination or natural immunity) then the disease has a very difficult time establishing a foothold and spreading. So the immunity of the many, protect the few who are not immune.

The problem with vaccine deniers who claim their unvaccinated children are no one else’s concern, is that key word: VAST majority. Herd immunity has limits and that limit varies by disease. Also, it’s worth keeping in mind that herd immunity does not mean the population is actually immune. It just means that so many individuals are immune that the disease has trouble finding a host and so is slow to catch on and spread and often may die out for lack of a non-immune host.

Vaccine deniers are the worst spawn of the internet age. They have taken a tiny scrap of research that has been proved in absolute terms to be complete and utter bullsh!t and turned it into a warped and dangerous propaganda.

There is no scientific evidence of any link between childhood vaccinations and any scientifically validated increased risk of disease.

What there IS evidence of is that unvaccinated children suffer, die, and are dying in increasing numbers from preventable diseases due to ignorant and obstinate parents who are being fed propaganda from the vaccine deniers on the internet.

And since the question probably will be asked, yes I have children and yes they are absolutely vaccinated. I would no more risk their health and safety by having them go without vaccinations than I would have them suffer from a broken bone because some crackpot on the internet had a theory that by setting the broken bone, some bad side effect might occur.

Grouse

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Just with anything else I’ll wait on the newer vaccines to prove themselves, chicken pox, flu, etc
    Very little comes out right the first time.

Having your 3 month old child seizure in her mothers arms while dads at work from a vaccine administered hours earlier will effect your mindset a tad.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

HF380 and companion bill SF393.
    Looks like SF 393 has passed committee ass of Monday.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just with anything else I’ll wait on the newer vaccines to prove themselves, chicken pox, flu, etc
    Very little comes out right the first time.

Having your 3 month old child seizure in her mothers arms while dads at work from a vaccine administered hours earlier will effect your mindset a tad.

I completely understand and if you are talking about a personable event I’m sorry.
    However, nothing is 100%, nothing. but we have to do what is best for the majority.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i side with Grouse after working with vaccines on 40 dogs for 25 years. Yes, I have had some problems with vaccinating vulnerable individuals, usually too young.

That said, i’ve had viral decimation from attacks that no vaccines were available for.

the only area that i side with the deniers on is that modern kids live in such antiseptic environments that their immune systems never get started and they are tremendously vulnerable. i used to see it with my dogs when i bleached everything in sight 24/7. Not a problem anymore. Those kids are going to be vulnerable and i see no way to protect them. They will become a base for viral expansion.

all of that said, my 10yo got all her shots in a timely fashion. Mama (who had no idea what science was behind it) made sure of that…

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hl&sinker wrote:</div>

Not sure that I actually believe this. When more and more people are voluntarily opting out how could that cause vaccinations to increase. Maybe this is an obamacare result instead???

Sorry, did not mean to infer an increase was a result. With the talk of forcing one to vaccinate some are making it into civil rights concern not a health concern, impacting the efforts of those trying to make things better.

I can see how one can be a bit amprehensive about what the government deems to be true. Was not long ago marijuana was deemed to have no middisamal value, several years later states are taking a different position.

desperado

Political (unless you claim the Religious exemption)

Attachments:
    1. in-before-lock.jpg

desperado

or more relatable for most here

Attachments:
    1. in-lock.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I can see how one can be a bit amprehensive about what the government deems to be true. Was not long ago marijuana was deemed to have no middisamal value, several years later states are taking a different position.

[/quote]

Only, Only! because they can see $$ signs.

raynestorm
    Lake Wisconsin

It’s not so cut and dry. I have two kids. The first one we vaccinated, and the second one, we chose not too. After a lot of research, we found a lot of startling information on vaccines. We have noticed our unvaccinated child rarely gets sick, as our vaccinated kid, is sick considerably more.

The pharmaceutical industry is a multi billion dollar industry, fueled by fear. They have enough money and power to get drugs approved without proper testing, if desired. Back when H1N1 exploded, they rushed a vaccine through without testing, that should have never been injected into a single person.

If you read through the ingredients that are actually in most vaccines, you will find many things that DO NOT belong in a human body, and are potentially deadly. Stuff I would never put in my body, and definitely will not put in my kids body.

I am for science and prevention of outbreaks, but until they clamp down on pharmaceutical companies, and force them to actually make safe vaccines, I can not recommend them.

I’m not even gonna discuss flu vaccines, those are an absolute joke. Read up on flu viruses and the approximate varieties of them, then see how many varieties are in a common flu shot… Talk about a needle in a haystack, hoping you have the right varities in your shot.

Eating healthy, exercising regularly, and practicing good hygiene will keep most of the population rather healthy. If vaccines improve, then I feel they can be implemented situationally (those with poor immune systems or health concerns) and the world will continue to turn smoothly.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I now have a 6 month old daughter and am hearing more and more that people are choosing to not vaccinate their children to protect them from potential side effects.

I guess I’m wondering when this became a choice? Is it still required in this state to provide proof of vaccination to attend public school?

I know how the older generations stand on this but I’m wondering if I’m missing something. I understand that there’s a movement that believes that vaccinations are causing autism, but this is without any scientific basis whatsoever.

There is no evidence what-so-ever that immunizations cause Autism. That fabricated data couldn’t have done more damage to the progress that immunizations made if it tried. Vaccinations should be mandatory for all kids.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’m not even gonna discuss flu vaccines, those are an absolute joke. Read up on flu viruses and the approximate varieties of them, then see how many varieties are in a common flu shot… Talk about a needle in a haystack, hoping you have the right varities in your shot.

This is more bad data that is commonly misunderstood. The “Flu” vaccine is not for the stomach flu (aka: gastroenteritis). The “flu” vaccine is for the respiratory flu which can and is fatal for many people every year. That is why you can get the flu vaccine and still get the stomach flu right after.

These misconceptions should be better broadcasted publicly so these myths and misconceptions don’t hinder the value they could provide.

brad-o
    Mankato

We are a globalization viruses are a plane ticket away. You have a choice as a parent but you are jeopardizing my child that is not old enough to be fully vaccinated. These are great topics and conversation!

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Wade I don’t believe raynestorm was talking about the stomach flu insteadd referring to the many strains of the flu there are. The vacine created this year did not even protect against the strain that was going around this year. I think that is meant by a crap shoot in producing the right vacine.
    I for on optt out of the flu vaccine because of the addatives included in them. As I get older my view may change but for now I choose not to add toxic additives to my body like mercury.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I know of one vaccine that isn’t used often enough with some people…………………………………the birth control one!!!!!!! whistling whistling

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.