Vacation Route

• Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

I was reading the other post about 94 and 494 and this got me thinking about our route this year. So thought I would ask for some seasoned advice I know you fellows have. Here is our start / finish points
    Oskaloosa Iowa
    to
    Hackensack Mn
    We will be traveling on a Saturday

Looking at google maps directions Looks like we could take 35 north to Albert lea and cut over on 90 over to Fairmont and then north on Hwy15 up to St Cloud. Or even cut over and Owatonna on Hwy 14
    Avoid all the 94 / 494 mess. Might take longer but calmer traveling and different scenery. I’m sure there are several routes to take so…I’m just wondering what you guys thought ?

Thanks

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’ve drivin around the whole state of minnesota the past 13 years. now i didnt really look at a map but consider and look at this route. you may need to check the MNDOT construction map as i dont recall much road construction oh 35.

look at taking 35 all the way up to princton mn, get off on hwy 23 west then on the east side of st cloud you could hit hwy 10 north.

just a thought!!!!!!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

look at taking 35 all the way up to princton mn

Glenn, I35 doesn’t go to Princeton. Hwy 169 does. I35 veers east of Princeton by about 40 miles near North Branch which is where you could get off on Hwy 95 and take that west to St Cloud.

Hwy 23 meets I35 way up by Hinckley too.

I think your map is a little off…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    look at taking 35 all the way up to princton mn

Glenn, I35 doesn’t go to Princeton. Hwy 169 does. I35 veers east of Princeton by about 40 miles near North Branch which is where you could get off on Hwy 95 and take that west to St Cloud.

Hwy 23 meets I35 way up by Hinckley too.

I think you’re map is a little off…

ha….your right!!!!!!1 oops!!!!!!! yep thatsthe way i was thinking!!!!!!

nice catch!!!!!!!1

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Mike,
    Yeah, the 694/94 stretch blows.
    We have been working our way up to 10 west north of the cities and meeting up with 169 in Elk River.
    Either picking it up 169N in Bloomington off 494 or circling 35W around the east side of downtown and catching 10W in Shoreview.

Iowaboy1

Mike, I have taken several routes trying to avoid the cities, it wasnt worth the extra two hours to do so.
    But, a lot of that depends on what time you go through the cities, the earlier the better.
    I am heading to Bemidji saturday and I go through the cities between nine thirty and ten fifteen, its a little nerve racking but no where near what its like when everyone is trying to get to work or the noon hour.

I took 14? west south of Owatonna several times going through New Ulm, Mankato, etc and you are right, its an easier ride, but there is a dang small town every fifteen miles and you have to slow down, stop, go again wash, rinse, repeat.
    the extra gas it took wasnt worth it either.

Just leave earlier and you will do just fine.

I will be leaving Grinnell around five am, I will be in a red silverado towing a blue and white starcraft, if you see us we can meet up for lunch somewhere.

Iowaboy1

Thanks for the tip EPG ! didnt realize construction was so heavy this year, maybe I will take another route !!
    Mike, shoot me a pm later today.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

thats probably one of the things i absolutely dont miss now that i’m retired…….driving through the cities in road construction season. whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

thats probably one of the things i absolutely dont miss now that i’m retired…….driving through the cities in road construction season. whistling

Thanks for rubbing it in Glenn. moon

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Thanks for rubbing it in Glenn. moon

devil devil rotflol rotflol

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Unfortunately, I have to drive through the northwest metro to get out of town. Fortunately, I can drive it at any time of the day.
    Yes, I’m recently retired too!! whistling Rub Rub!!

Ethan Poltrack
    Hudson valley New York

Off the matter a little but just got back from a great trip in the Adirondack Mountains on Tupper Lake. Trying to find a camp or a cabin and everything is either sold or priced way to high.

Attachments:
    1. l.jpg

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Thanks for all the advise fellas. I have a few weeks to pick a route. We’ll be on the road early Sat am so hopefully that helps. Driving through the city’s isn’t my favorite thing to do. We’ve had some good trips and some trying ones but always make it through.
    PM coming your way Sheldon )

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Well…time is getting closer and I’d like to get a route picked. I talked to Sheldon and they took I90 west out of Albert lea over to Fairmont and north on 15 up to St Cloud and then on from there. Sheldon said it was a good route and enjoyed it more that the city’s route.

I have also looked at taking Hwy14 west out of Owatonna over to New Ulm and north on 15.

So my question would be…..

Take I90 west out or Albert Lea ?
    or
    Take Hwy14 west out of Owatonna ?

Any suggestions ?
    Thanks

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Albert Lea is the slightly faster route via Google. Personally I’d just leave early Saturday and go through the cities before 10-11 you shouldn’t hit any traffic. Highway 15 is a nice drive, but you hit a ton of small towns and stop signs/lights.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why not shoot straight up 35? Come through earlier in the day and be all good. No worries.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

I agree with Bearcats shoot straight up 35w to state hwy 18 in finnlason come a cross the Northside of millacs to Brainerd. Pickup 371 in Brainerd.
    35w won’t bad early Saturday morning.

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Thought I would update our route choice and experience.
    We went West at Owatonna on 14 over to New Ulm ( well we didn’t get to New Ulm ) my co-pilot took us on a zig zag route over to 15 north which was a little slow but….over all I thought it was a good change of pace from the interstates and it was enjoyable. Didn’t really take that much longer and a pleasant drive. We stopped for lunch anyway. Would probably take that route again for sure.
    We took a completely different route home so we saw a lot of Minnesota this trip.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

But how was the trip? Do any fishing?

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Vacation was good. Had fun !! Fishing wasn’t that great. Water was warm, lots of pressure around those lakes. Hackensack area. Did go on leech with a guide and struggled to get our limit of walleye. Did do some LM Bass fishing and caught some nice ones. I need to find a local fisherman in that area that might help me with my fishing/catching success.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.