Vacation days from work

• zooks

I work for a big insurance company, they start you out with 15 days of PTO after first full year and you earn more every few years, capped at 30 days PTO after 20 years service.

This is pretty common with the big banks/ins companies and most make you burn it every year, our nice perk is we can carry over up to half of what you earn in any year indefinitely; i.e. if you earn 24 days per year, you can save up to 12 days to use at a later time.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think the answer is always…never enough.

It’s criminal how little PTO most get in this country.

I’ve been at my company for 5 years so I get 5 weeks(some combination of vacation and personal time) and can carry over up to 120 hours of personal time. I don’t think I’ve carried over more than a few hours each year though.

It makes sense though, I’d feel bad if the CEOs of all our companies weren’t able to buy that 4th house in the Hamptons because all us worker bees so selfishly demanded a few more days off jester

TMF89

I’ve been at where I’m at for 2-3 years now, I get just under three weeks PTO, but also equal time for sick pay, and I was able to bank enough OT hours as comp time last year to basically not touch my PTO while taking half a dozen trips of various lengths.

Before this job, everywhere I’ve worked was like two or three weeks combined PTO, but fairly flexible with non-paid time off, as long as there was coverage.

AnotherFisherman

17 PTO days + 10 Holiday PTO days. In 2 more years, will jump to 23 PTO days + 10 holiday PTO days. Seems about average to me.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve been at this job for just over 20 years.
    35 days vaca per year, and 10 days sick time yearly, and 10 paid holidays.
    Can carryover up to 70 days vaca time, and unlimited sick time (I just had to use 160 hours when I had my full knee replacement this fall). We do lose the sick time when we leave/retire.

A week vaca for Juniors spring break, a couple weeks off to camp up in Voyageurs Park in summer, a fall anniversary trip for the FW and myself somewhere warm. Then throw in time off for Juniors HS track meets and other sports and it goes pretty fast.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

16.5 years for the state (WI).

308 hours PTO/year (200 hours vacation, 36 hours personal, and 72 hours holiday)

2.5 hours of sick leave earned/week with unlimited accrual and can use it to buy health care in retirement. In fact I’m stuck at home today with a sick kiddo.

7.5 weeks off is a LOT, especially when sick days aren’t included. No complaints!

troutbum
    St. Paul

Im 1099 sales. Take as much as I want but not too much. Fine line too much play, not gonna hit quota.

On a related note, I talked to a guy who get 16 weeks paternity leave at Wells Fargo. Seems like a lot?

zooks

On a related note, I talked to a guy who get 16 weeks paternity leave at Wells Fargo. Seems like a lot?

That all has changed within the last 5 years, my ins company employer is up to 12 for parental leave but was 2 weeks in 2015 and 4 in 2017.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

In my case it took 23 years (over two companies) to get more than 120 hrs of paid PTO and there was no distinction for sick pay. We did have 9 additional holidays. We just got a change in policy last year so I now have 200 hrs and will get a bump to 240 hrs next year (plus an extra couple holidays to make that 11 additional days).

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The carry over and Bank thing is starting to go away more and more each year. For account purpose those large amount of carry over hours are treated as future expense – This is starting to impact the bottom line with a lot of large companies and is the reason more and more of them are doing away with it. I know 3 different friends who use to be able to carry over lots of unused vacation/PTO hr’s each year who no longer are allowed to. Several of them were told that they had to use up all carry over hours by the end of the year or they would lose them. Several of them ended up taking the last 3 months of the year off to use up the hours. Now they are no longer allowed to carry over any hours. They have to use up all vacation and PTO time or they lose them.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I have 13 years with my current employer. I get 16 days pto, 3 personal holidays, and 5 paid holidays. Not great but I only need to use 1/2 day pto to take Fridays off so that helps.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Been at my current employer for 2 years. I accrue 5.XX hrs per 2-week pay period and max out at 136 hrs. There’s no requirement to use it within a calendar year; you just stop accruing at your max. As you work here longer, there’s some scale where you accrue faster and the max out limit is higher. Not sure of the specifics.

Short answer is 17 days max pending accrual (no distinction between sick, vacation, etc) plus 10 paid holidays

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I believe that the new budget that Congress and Trump agreed to last November has 12 weeks now for new parents. This is obviously a federal employee thing at the moment but it could trickle down to the private sector soon. I believe that his daughter Ivanka pushed for it.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Paid Vacation
    10 days/year – 0-1 years of employment. Cannot take any until completion of 6 month probation period, but still accrued.
    12 days/year – 2-5 years
    15 days/year – 6-10 years
    18 days/year – 11-14 years
    21 days/year – 15-20 years
    24 days/year – 20+ years

You can carry over up to 30 days per year. So younger employees are trying to save their vacation days to accrue close to the 30 days, older employees are taking time off whenever and struggling to stay under the 30 days at the end of the year.

Holidays
    10.5 Paid holidays
    2 additional “Floating Holidays” – Don’t use them, you lose them.

Paid Sick Leave
    Accrued at 1 day per month, can accrue up to 100 days before it transfers over to a deferred comp plan at retirement.

Comp Time
    Can accumulate up to 80 hours of comp time within my department, other departments have different rules, or overtime pay. I generally take all my time off as comp time and save my vacation time. Now this year I will be over the vacation limit, so I’ll be forced to take off a few days… or lose them.

tornadochaser

17 years at the same company.
    Currently allowed 200 hours (5 weeks) of PTO. 30 days of paid medical leave. (must use PTO first.) major holidays and some “day afters” paid.
    I accrue just under 4 hours a week of PTO, and carried over about 100 hours from 2019 since I had to cancel a week of deer hunting and a week of fishing I had scheduled. I’ll be taking a lot of 3 day weekends this summer.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

17 years at my company.
    4 weeks vacation, 9 holidays, 2 flex days, 3 floaters, and accumulate sick time up to 540 hours. I’m at 300+ hours of sick at this point, but would lose it all if I leave/retire. We are not allowed to carry any vacation time over, use it or lose it. That usually leaves me burning days around Christmas to not lose them.

Will move up to 5 weeks of vacation at 20 years. New hires get a better deal though, they start at 3 weeks, I didn’t get that until year after the 5th full year. Lots of benefit changes for the new generation, trying to stay competitive for young talent.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Unlimited at my new company

Andrew Pansch

I laugh at companies that offer 5-10 days a year. Nope not going to happen. I remember my first couple jobs I didn’t even get a vacation day until after my first year and then it was 5 days. Glad I need I no longer with them. When I was looking last summer the vacation days really seemed to vary still and companies that have higher turnover usually seemed to have terrible vacation time. To me fair is right around 3-4 weeks starting with higher as you accrue years. If I take a week vacation I hate come back haha so best to take shorter vacations for me. Then again I travel for work and fridays are office days.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Where I work we have up to 8 weeks and 10 PTO days so it’s basically 10 weeks. You just can’t use more then 2 PTO days in a row so I usually use them for Friday and Mondays and use them as my travel days.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The U.S. is way behind the rest of the world for paid vacation time and taking vacations in general.

So move to another country. Be sure to let us know how the peripheral bennies are wherever you go.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think the answer is always…never enough.

It’s criminal how little PTO most get in this country.

I’ve been at my company for 5 years so I get 5 weeks(some combination of vacation and personal time) and can carry over up to 120 hours of personal time. I don’t think I’ve carried over more than a few hours each year though.

It makes sense though, I’d feel bad if the CEOs of all our companies weren’t able to buy that 4th house in the Hamptons because all us worker bees so selfishly demanded a few more days off jester

The CEO’s and executives I’ve worked for and with outwork and have a level of dedication most don’t have. And frankly, most people don’t want it. I don’t think that is the exception, it’s the rule.

Maybe you were being facetious, Phil, but this is a lazy take.

tbruno

Where I work, I get five weeks of vacation with the ability to carry over one week, eight paid holidays, two personal days, and can build two weeks of comp time per year. We earn 8 hours of sick leave per month and can use 40 hours per year of that as family sick leave for wife, children and parent illnesses, appointments, etc.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

Almost 16 year at my employer, I get 4 weeks of paid vacation, plus holidays paid, plus they give us 4 Floater holiday days we can use whenever, and a week of paid sick time.

We also can do summer hours so I work 4 10’s and take friday’s off. But I also travel a lot and there is give and take. Lets just say I usually end up having to take the last 3 weeks of the year off and I still have to roll over a week.

I wouldn’t leave what I am doing just because of the freedom I have. I can also work from home whenever I want.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have been working healthcare for 5 years. I get about 5.5 weeks/220 hours of PTO per year. Sick days are counted against that PTO. We still work holidays, but they pay time and a half or double.

I generally like to take one week off per month June through October. Allows for some nice fishing trips!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The carry over and Bank thing is starting to go away more and more each year. For account purpose those large amount of carry over hours are treated as future expense – This is starting to impact the bottom line with a lot of large companies and is the reason more and more of them are doing away with it.

The first year with my company I didn’t use any PTO and banked it all. About 180hrs or so. And I try to keep that much or around 200hrs in my bank. That way, every time I get a raise, those initial 180hrs get a raise as well!

Gitchi Gummi

The carry over and Bank thing is starting to go away more and more each year. For account purpose those large amount of carry over hours are treated as future expense – This is starting to impact the bottom line with a lot of large companies and is the reason more and more of them are doing away with it. I know 3 different friends who use to be able to carry over lots of unused vacation/PTO hr’s each year who no longer are allowed to. Several of them were told that they had to use up all carry over hours by the end of the year or they would lose them. Several of them ended up taking the last 3 months of the year off to use up the hours. Now they are no longer allowed to carry over any hours. They have to use up all vacation and PTO time or they lose them.

Carrying PTO from year to year is not a future expense for a company. Whenever a company “awards” you any number of PTO/sick time hours, the expense goes straight to the Company’s bottom line (i.e. increases expenses), in the period in which the expense was incurred… Meaning if you earned 3 weeks of vacation throughout 2019, your employer took the expense for those 3 weeks in 2019 whether or not you used any of those hours. They do not take the expense in the future when you actually use the PTO. The do carry a liability on their balance sheet for the accrued vacation, but the expense hits the bottom line in the period in which the employee earned the PTO hours.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Paid Vacation
    10 days/year – 0-1 years of employment. Cannot take any until completion of 6 month probation period, but still accrued.
    12 days/year – 2-5 years
    15 days/year – 6-10 years
    18 days/year – 11-14 years
    21 days/year – 15-20 years
    24 days/year – 20+ years

You can carry over up to 30 days per year. So younger employees are trying to save their vacation days to accrue close to the 30 days, older employees are taking time off whenever and struggling to stay under the 30 days at the end of the year.

Holidays
    10.5 Paid holidays
    2 additional “Floating Holidays” – Don’t use them, you lose them.

Paid Sick Leave
    Accrued at 1 day per month, can accrue up to 100 days before it transfers over to a deferred comp plan at retirement.

Comp Time
    Can accumulate up to 80 hours of comp time within my department, other departments have different rules, or overtime pay. I generally take all my time off as comp time and save my vacation time. Now this year I will be over the vacation limit, so I’ll be forced to take off a few days… or lose them.

This was almost identical to my situation with the exception of comp time as I was a salaried employee. We did work 9 hour days and got every other Friday off so lots of 3 day weekends. I tried to align my Fridays off with the holiday calendar so that I could get some 4 day weekends.

mojogunter

3 years at present job (salaried). In general I work 50 hours a week. I get 6 weeks a year vacation.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.