Vacation

• Dink buster

Got 2 weeks off in early October. Want to take family to North woods of Wisconsin or Minnesota and rent a cabin. Wife 4 kids and I. Would like a larger more modern cabin near some decent fishing. Also a town nearby for wife to do some shopping. Does such a place exist?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anywhere from Alexandria thru Detroit Lakes up to Walker, Bemidji to Grand Rapids would all fit that bill in MN. I’m partial to the Walker/Park Rapids area due to the vast # of different sized lakes, and your wife will love Walker or PR. What type of fish do you primarily fish for?

bigpike

On the Wisconsin side of things Hayward or Minocqua will fit your bill. If your wife is into more upscale / up north try the Star Lake / Sayner area. Tons of state and federal campgrounds and access points to fish any type of lake you want. Good luck. October is a great time to enjoy the northwoods regardless of where you pick. Bring your shot gun. Grouse hunting in full throat then regardless of weather.

Dink buster

Thanks. Hope so was worried about going in October but I’m low man in totem pole at work so summer months get picked pretty fast on vacation schedule. I’m left with fall and winter but I think we’ll be fine

Deuces

Take your pick of any cabins almost anywhere. After labor day up north most everywhere goes ghosttowns compared to summer. Rates are cut severely, it’s a great time to Vaca with the fam. Some of our best trips are in the fall.

Except on the north shore, fall colors is now a “in” thing, years ago we never made reservations and had rooms to pick from. It’s a good thing though, glad to see people getting up there.

bigpike

I love October time off. Its a great time to fish and you will have the pick of resorts and they will definitely be ready for you. So many things to do so little time.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

On the Wisconsin side of things Hayward

X2. That time of the year the stone lake cranberry fest in an absolute hit in the Hayward area. Plenty of neat shops for the family downtown. For fishing, its obviously a great Muskie area. Underrated SMB and walleye fishing in some lakes around too. Plenty of airbnbs or resorts to rent from, especially in that time of the year. PM me if you want to know any more. Be glad to help.

MnPat1

Ely has everything your looking for.

MNBOWHUNTIN

Walker area is really nice and scenic that time of year. Could bring the shotgun too and get after some grouse.

Don’t count out the north shore area either. Wife would have Duluth close by, there are plenty of smaller lakes for walleye/panfish, plus you could find a boat to take you out on Superior.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.