Utility Trailer

• MNBOWHUNTIN

Does anybody have suggestions on a utility trailer? Steel or aluminum? Any specific brand?

I am really wanting an aluminum, most I will be hauling is an ATV and portable fish house. 6×12 would be perfect to fit the tracked ATV and house.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have a 6.5 x14 aluminum i really like, can fit 3 4 wheelers when necessary or it works perfect for a wheeler and a house. I think it is the m&g or something, wood plank floor, aluminium folding ramp, front side ramps that use the side rails, i think i got it for around 2500 a while back. Love it. If you go steel, get galvanized.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I had a steel trailer that rusted and fell apart after 6 years or so. It was heavy and difficult to move around empty. Picked up a couple aluminum trailers and never looked back. Must aluminums come with a built in ramp. I’m not sure if all trailers come with LED lights but I wouldn’t get one without them. I also check on the axle weight capacity and add a spare tire rack with tire.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a 6 x 12 all aluminum triton. Easy to move around by hand, easy to tow, not easy to buy. I think about 3 grand if I remember. I’d do it again

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have a all aluminum Bear Paw I bought North of Cloquet. Been a very good trailer. If you intend to use it alot or have it a long time spend the coin now for aluminum.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Floe Cargomax is a hell of a utility trailer…I have a 11′ and can easily fit my Grizzly 700 and Otter Cabin on it properly…never dents, never rusts

Deuces

It seems you get what you pay for in trailers. I’ve bought some cheap ones, some family members have as well and they will only last a handful of years, 7-8 pushing it.

My dad got aluminum with your setup, pulls utv up, house sits right behind, stuff in garage after a day of fishing. Super slick system.

klang

I would spend the extra money and go aluminum. No rock chips to rust, easier to move around and pull. Had too many steel trailers look nice for a couple years then start rusting.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My steel lasted about 11 years before falling completely apart. It sat outside.
    It was also a hindrance (almost dangerous) to move and hook up due to its weight. I went aluminum last year and never looked back. Light and easy to move around. I now cover my trailer so it should last a long time. I went with Aluma.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have an Aluma 6.5×14 and I love it. Wide enough to fit 3 wheelers sideways and long enough to squeeze a wheeler sideways behind a SXS (still below weight rating). Only downside is the fenders are welded on and I took a good size hunk of steel to it. Not fun to replace, would be a cake job if it was bolted on…I also found that you get what you pay for with trailers.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Those of you with the Aluma’s, have you been happy with the quality/durability? What are the pros/cons of wood vs alum deck besides cost?

welliou

I also have the flo cargo max. It is the best trailer I have owned. It has 12 heavy duty D rings built into the box for securing the equipment, Led lighting removeable bifold ramp, a tilt box feature. I tow a Side X Side utv in it and still have room for other things. I have the 11′ model but it comes larger also.
    I paid 2790 for it this Spring.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Those of you with the Aluma’s, have you been happy with the quality/durability? What are the pros/cons of wood vs alum deck besides cost?

I have not had mine long enough to say. I cant remember if I have the 638 or 6310. I did get the solid side rack kit so it works well for leaves and brush. Mine will only hold 1 ATV with lots of space but not enough for 2.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

For those of you that have a cargomax what are the reasons for saying it’s great?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have an all aluminum Hillsboro trailer. Torsion axle, bifold ramp, 6 inch sides with a tie down every 12 inches, led lights. I also added aluminum wheels, 18 inch front shield, spare tire and mount. It is 6’8″ x 14. Weighs 650 pounds. Paid $3500. I can roll it around on concrete with 1 hand.

MNBOWHUNTIN

Thanks for the replies. Found a lightly used H&H aluminum for sale that I’m going to jump on. Wood deck, seems like a good trailer, should last a long time.

404 ERROR
    MN

Quality and durability is great. Trailer is 7 years old now and looks almost brand new yet (other than the messed up fender). It will be getting new tires this winter. Not a single failure and it’s got thousands of miles on it.

Only con is the folding ramp is very, very noisy. I understand many folding trailer ramps make noise, but this will wake up the neighborhood if it was empty. There is no kind of bushing or damper on the pivot points, but I’m also not sure if other companies have them. Maybe Aluma has modified the design since 2012.

Can’t comment on the wood deck, I wanted lightweight so I avoided it.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Never get steel in MN. It will rust away in less than 10 years. Aluminum is the only way to go. But I have learned if you go aluminum you must go top-o-line. Aluma or Flow. There may be others. Aluminum is prone to fatigue fractures. So material thickness and good design go a long way. Also go covered if you can. Road salt will rapidiy age an ATV or sled. I just got an Aluma hybrid. 12′ long, full cover with a fold down rear door. Cost $$ but I love it. Had a Sno-Cap on my last Sled Bed aluminum tilt trailer. Worked fine but with a tilt bed trailer they must make compromises on the axel placement and design. You need to be able to pull the load up towards the front to get the correct hitch weight. A fixed frame trailer will also be stronger than a tilt bed. The frame cracked in several places after so many years. I had to pull the wood off to repair and weld reinforcements.

JoeMX1825
    MN

For those of you that have a cargomax what are the reasons for saying it’s great?

indestructible bed & aluminum frame, will never rust, will never dent, will never need to be painted, it’s light weight yet can haul a ton, removable tailgate, bed can tilt 3 different levels, enclosed wiring throughout the frame, 12 build-in D-rings for tiedowns, built-in pull/lift handle, recessed LED lights throughout, very quiet to haul down the road (no rattles) very easy to clean with a garden hose (no gaps in the floor)

I’ve owned several of them and finally found the sweet spot size for me (XRT11-73)

klang

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone ever acid washed their alum. trailer to get the shine back? Do yourself or hired? Cost?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.