Using a leader for Northerns on a Rattle Reel?

• usmarine0352

We’ve been fishing a local lake for panfish but have landed five 4-7lbs. northerns. We’ve also lost quite a few on rattle reels where you start reeling them up slowly and then the line is cut.

Was wondering about using a wire leader on the rattle reel?

I googled it but couldn’t find much.

Will this work? What size hook should I use, these aren’t huge northerns.

buck-slayer

Don’t know why it wouldn’t work. I’d rig it just like a tip up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love 12lbs flouro leader material. I run it on all my pike set ups. 4 ft or so. Never get bitten off.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You can use a wire leader and you will never get cut off again!

Unfortunately, you’ll catch a small fraction of the fish you did before but hey, you’ll never get cut off!

I personally do what Bearcat does. Heavy mono leader will get you a lot more fish to the top of the ice.

Years ago I had a close friend that didn’t believe me on this topic. So we put up 2 tip ups, 1 my way and 1 his way. In 2 hours I had four or five Northern he had one.

I would never recommend a wire leader unless I was fishing giant Pike on a stained water lake where they didn’t care about leaders. I’m not sure where that place exists but I’m sure it does. Our clear water lakes around here don’t work well with wire leaders.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Agreed. The wire leaders only for the larger pike. Lake of the Woods I’d use wire. That’s about it.

I do the same….lighter fluoro for real clear water. 12 to 20 #. If the water is stained or the pike are super aggressive you can go up to 30#.

Caught a 40” on lotw a few weekends ago with an 8# leader and very small treble.

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

Seaguar abrazx or invizx
    Is what I use I’m sure it’s a preference

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use seaguar flouro leader material. Not just regular flouro

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Until recently, I actually didn’t know there was a specific type of fluorocarbon designed to be used to prevent bite offs. I started using the Seaguar Blue Label to prevent getting bit off based on advice from a commenter on this thread last September. Previously I was using the standard Seaguar Fluorocarbon like I had used for years.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Until recently, I actually didn’t know there was a specific type of fluorocarbon designed to be used to prevent bite offs. I started using the Seaguar Blue Label to prevent getting bit off based on advice from a commenter on this thread last September. Previously I was using the standard Seaguar Fluorocarbon like I had used for years.

It makes a world of difference. The leader material is some tough stuff

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

It makes a world of difference. The leader material is some tough stuff

thanks for the tip

usmarine0352

Ah, didn’t know that.

Will get some Seaguar Blue Label Fluorocarbon for next year.

Dan
    Southeast MN

What pound test would you guys recommend for what you’re describing?

Dan
    Southeast MN

Disregard, I see 12-pound was mentioned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.