using a drill with a Jiffy STX auger?

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I have one of those 1200 in-lb (?) torque Milwaukee hammer drills that’s awesome paired with a 6″ nils auger – cut over 30 holes last weekend and the battery gauge still read full 4 bars… question is whether, with an adapter, if this drill is enough to properly turn an 8″ Jiffy STX auger? If so, what adapter is available to connect the auger to the drill chuck? Would be great to be able to drill some 8″ holes and not need to lug around the gas powerhead…

curleytail

Aside from the dual blades on the K drill, most drill setups use shaver blades which I think must turn easier than chipper blades, or are at least more efficient.

If I remember correctly, my old Jiffy model 30 used to spin counter clockwise as well, and I’m not sure if the hand drill spinning backwards would work or not.

I’m guessing you might be further ahead to get one of the auger bits that already comes ready to chuck up in a drill or get a Lazer hand auger and adapter to use it in your drill.

Adam Steffes

I tried the hand auger conversion to a drill and the drill spins WAY too fast even on the lowest setting to be useful and it would catch and twist and cock sideways and generally be dangerous. I tried metering it with the trigger but it was a handful and I am 230 lbs and not a general weakling. The hand auger was brand new and never touched ice before trying with the drill. It was back to gas auger for me from there on. Drill has never been the same since the either. I know it works for people but I was not a fan.

Dave Sunderman

I’m running the Milwaukee M18 Fuel drill and spinning an 8″ Laser auger no problem. Spun off an adapter last year and dropped the auger to the bottom of the lake. A new Laser with a stronger adapter and I can drill 20+ holes though 12″ of ice no problem. The Laser being all steel doesn’t seem to have much effect on battery life.

Works great!

Ripjiggen

I have never seen it with a jiffy bit. Nor do I think it would be affective with chipper style blades.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

If you wait until ice out, keep an eye out at Wal-Mart. I got an 8inch Mora for like 12 bucks brand new. I have a used 6 inch I keep with me just in case of what happened to you

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I have never seen it with a jiffy bit. Nor do I think it would be affective with chipper style blades.

That was my exact question – works great with the Nils auger but wasn’t sure using a drill (M18 Fuel) would work on the STX, which is a chipper-style… As suggested, I’ll wait to end of season and pick up a bigger auger when they go on sale. For now, if I need more clearance than my Nils (6″) provided, I may just drill two or more overlapping holes…

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

If you’re in the Twin Cities area, Another Man’s Treasure has a few locations and they usually have decent prices on used hand augers. I got my 6 inch for ten bucks from them. Just had to touch the blades up a bit

bfishn

I’ve also never seen a drill using a jiffy bit. Between the counter-clockwise spin, and just the fact that chipper blades take way more power to turn it just seems like a bad/impossible combo. I use a 7” Eskimo hand auger and wish I would have just went 8”, it cuts like butter. Like others have said if you watch you can get a 8” hand auger for cheap!

Mark Uidenich

I’ve been using a 6″ Mora hand anger on a Clam plate with a 18 volt brushed Dewalt for 4 years granted I’m not a hole hopper better than by hand. I’ve also gone through 24″ of ice with it north of Duluth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.