Used trucks from Canada on dealers’ lots

• amlavold
    Wisconsin

Casually looking online at used trucks on dealers’ lots. Came across several that appeared to be “good” deals given their year and mileage but when I pulled up the listing and attached Carfax reports, they were all originally purchased in Canada (first registered in Ontario or Quebec) and ended up on used lots in the States via auction in Arkansas from what I can tell. Just curious as to the economics behind this or why they they’re listed at a discount. These were Tundras and I would say they’re listed a few thousand $’s less then I would expect. I’m not in the market but assume this is something to avoid? Has anyone seen this or have any insight or thoughts behind this? Thanks.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

This is very interesting as a friend of mine just picked up a 2021 ford diesel for thousands less from a dealer and truck came from Canada also.

CaptainMusky

I dont know why it would be something to avoid. Many people go to Canada to buy vehicles because the exchange rate is so favorable.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My previous Yukon was originally from British Columbia. The only reason you could tell was the temp on the knob for the heater was in Celsius. Was a great truck, I bought it well used and not sure off the history on how it got here.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I drive a F150 made in Dearborn MI for Canada, came back over and I bought it $8k less the same US model.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I remember test driving a slightly used F150 that came from Canada – specifically Southern Ontario. The dealer/stealer told me “this is what you want, it’s never seen salt being from Canada.”

^That was complete BS. I called him on it and got him to admit that it was “what somebody told him”

MX1825

Saw on some other sites/threads where a used Mazda bought in the US had some issues and US dealers would not warranty the problem because it was sold in Canada originally. Total BS if it is true.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

My AT4 that I bought was from Canada also. It had like 12000 miles on it when I bought it. Got a heck of a deal. How else do I know it was from Canada? I can’t turn the fricken running lights off when backing in a boat in the dark, so I blind people all the time. Sorry thats another topic….

No issues with the truck so far.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Are the speedometers in Km/h?

hdog3385

Saw on some other sites/threads where a used Mazda bought in the US had some issues and US dealers would not warranty the problem because it was sold in Canada originally. Total BS if it is true.

I have read this all over the Ram forums as well. If it was built for the Canadian market the warranty in the U.S. is gone. Worth looking into. Talk to the service manager at the dealership and try to get something in writing if possible.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My 16 ram was from Canada. I had many things done under warranty in pine city

hdog3385

Hey Bearcat that’s nice to hear. Just curious, was it registered as a fleet vehicle in Canada? From what I’ve read that was the only way to transfer warranty. Don’t know why that would matter, but it’s another internet rumor I have seen.

ekruger01

My ’15 tundra limited was a canadian truck before my dealer brought it down. I got it 4 years ago. Everything has been great with it minus the engine heater being a canadian market only plug. Which is fine since I never use it. When I bought it, it was also the cheapest one I could find locally and also had the least amount of miles. I lucked out, when I called on it he held it long enough for me to drive down to look at it. In that hour he had over 30 calls. I already knew as long as everything checked out I was going to purchase.

On a side note, when the 23 tundra was anounced, I took mine to Mankato Toyota to talk about trading up. They offered me quite a bit more than I paid, with a 7 month wait for the new truck. Ultimately decided to keep it for now but that was reassuring.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

My F150 is from Canada, zero problems.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Most newer vehicles you can switch from km to mph

So no new vehicles have analog speedometers? Guess I don’t buy vehicles very often. rotflol

big_g
    Isle, MN

a Ram bought new in Canada, has a Canadian warranty. Canadian owners traveling in the US will have their warranty honored. A Ram bought and registered originally in Canada, then moved to the US, needs to be checked for any market change coverage. Any Chrysler dealership should be able to run a query for you if you have the VIN.

(Recalls are done N/C regardless of where registered)

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hey Bearcat that’s nice to hear. Just curious, was it registered as a fleet vehicle in Canada? From what I’ve read that was the only way to transfer warranty. Don’t know why that would matter, but it’s another internet rumor I have seen.

No I bought it with 800 miles on it. Eide got it at auction. It was used as a loaner which the one guy put the 800 miles on it. When I bought it I got the 100k power train warranty and 36k bumper to bumper just like I bought it brand new. I have no idea what the dealer did to swap warranty and what not. I do know I paid 5k less then the same truck on the same lot.

CaptainMusky

So no new vehicles have analog speedometers? Guess I don’t buy vehicles very often.

Theyre not completely digital, but most of them just have numbers and then when you switch the setting it just changes the KPH to MPH or vice versa. Every time I go into canada I switch it while I am driving and you can just see the speedo jump up as it changes. Yeah, I buy too many new vehicles. This is my 4th since 2015. Plan to keep this one a while I think though.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Lol, my “new” vehicle is a ’14.

amlavold
    Wisconsin

Appreciate the comments, thank you. I think I recall reading something about warranty issues that someone mentioned.

Cam White

There is on average 2-300 sitting in pembina at any given time. They are held for 30 days, several car carriers a week are there picking up loads of vehicles that get released. As mentioned the exchange benefits dealers, the warranty thing I don’t believe, I think it’s a tactic to get folks to buy in their country. I’m Canadian, had truck issues in Duluth. Dealer was awesome and issues were covered by gm canada with no issue.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have a brother-in-law picking up a ‘19 F150 tomorrow that came down from Canada. Full warranty, no question.

Looking on the local Ford dealer lot, they had a number of ‘19-‘20 used trucks. Sales manager he knows told him right up front many of these local trucks are tagged with titles stating Lemon law returns. Didn’t get an explanation, but have to wonder if it was so to parts not being available. Either way, he went with this Canadian truck as he didn’t want that on a title.

big_g
    Isle, MN

There is on average 2-300 sitting in pembina at any given time. They are held for 30 days, several car carriers a week are there picking up loads of vehicles that get released. As mentioned the exchange benefits dealers, the warranty thing I don’t believe, I think it’s a tactic to get folks to buy in their country. I’m Canadian, had truck issues in Duluth. Dealer was awesome and issues were covered by gm canada with no issue.

Canadians traveling in the US or Mexico are absolutely covered, just as US citizens traveling in Canada or Mexico also are. Its when you are a US citizen and own a Canadian vehicle that issues can arise. They are known as Gray Market vehicles.

CaptainMusky

Canadians traveling in the US or Mexico are absolutely covered, just as US citizens traveling in Canada or Mexico also are. Its when you are a US citizen and own a Canadian vehicle that issues can arise. They are known as Gray Market vehicles.

Is this a Dodge only thing? I cant say I have ever heard of this before regarding warranty.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yep, I had a Dealer tell me they can not warranty my truck, quick phone call to Ford took care of that problem. Had 4 recalls done and warranty work no problems. People are just misinformed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My dealer gave no issues to me. And this was a 16 ram.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My dealer gave no issues to me. And this was a 16 ram.

I can only speak to Chrysler vehicles but, if they are brought in correctly, the warranty is able to be changed to the US market. Most dealerships will bring them in correctly, so they have warranty. Some are brought in by third party brokers and do not have warranty here. I can attest, they do not pay for claims on these gray market vehicles ! ALL vehicles will have recalls honored, regardless of registration.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.