First timer looking (begging) for some help!

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Hi all. I have been “lurking” for some time and after seeing this thread knew I had to finally post! A buddy of mine and I are coming to SD in mid November for what will hopefully be the hunt of our lives so far. We are looking for some public land and/or walk in areas where we will at least have the opportunity for some action . We are also hopefull of finding a kind land owner willing to allow us access. We are looking to the Watertown /Aberdeen area as of right now but are really open to all suggestions. We are from Wisconsin (Western) and about the only decent action is in a recreation area where the state releases birds. Very few wild birds in this area. While this is fun and gets the dogs some work (which is what it is all about in my mind anyway) we yearn for the challange of the legendary SD bird. Any help would be welcomed!

Thanks

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Labman, go to the SD DNR website. they have all the public land shown on maps that you can download, that should get you a good start then you can start knocking on doors. Talk to the clerks at hardware stores & cafes, ask at the local tavern, buy a few drinks.Get to know the local people and you will find your hunting spots. Legwork is part of pheasant hunting.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Labman, go to the SD DNR website. they have all the public land shown on maps that you can download, that should get you a good start then you can start knocking on doors. Talk to the clerks at hardware stores & cafes, ask at the local tavern, buy a few drinks.Get to know the local people and you will find your hunting spots. Legwork is part of pheasant hunting.

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks Yellowdog. I have already sent for and received the pheasant package that includes the WIA maps and the public hunting areas maps. As far as the leg work part of it, being about 8-10 hours away, that is what I am kind of doing here at least as a starting point. I do plan on doing alot of talking and walking and knocking once I am there.

I guess I am still reliving my public land hunting experiance of about 4 years ago in NE Iowa. hunted nothing but public land for the first two days we were there and didn’t see a bird. Finally decided to knock on some doors and find some private access. To our suprise, and contrary to what we were told would happen, we never got turned down! once on private land, we saw hundreds of birds! My goal is to find out from the locals if the WIA and public areas are even worth trying. I am guessing they are from what I have heard but I am sure there are some areas better than others and that is the info I am really after.

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks Yellowdog. I have already sent for and received the pheasant package that includes the WIA maps and the public hunting areas maps. As far as the leg work part of it, being about 8-10 hours away, that is what I am kind of doing here at least as a starting point. I do plan on doing alot of talking and walking and knocking once I am there.

I guess I am still reliving my public land hunting experiance of about 4 years ago in NE Iowa. hunted nothing but public land for the first two days we were there and didn’t see a bird. Finally decided to knock on some doors and find some private access. To our suprise, and contrary to what we were told would happen, we never got turned down! once on private land, we saw hundreds of birds! My goal is to find out from the locals if the WIA and public areas are even worth trying. I am guessing they are from what I have heard but I am sure there are some areas better than others and that is the info I am really after.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Labman,
    I hunted the Aberdeen area 3 years ago and there are tons of birds in the area…. Never once did we hunt walk-in ground or public areas… all we did was knock on a couple of doors and we had plenty of areas to hunt. Limited all 3 days in a hurry too… Good Luck to you and have a happy and safe hunt… I know you will enjoy it.
    bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Labman,
    I hunted the Aberdeen area 3 years ago and there are tons of birds in the area…. Never once did we hunt walk-in ground or public areas… all we did was knock on a couple of doors and we had plenty of areas to hunt. Limited all 3 days in a hurry too… Good Luck to you and have a happy and safe hunt… I know you will enjoy it.
    bird

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.