Steel Shot for Grouse ?

• honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

This weekend we will be using steel shot for grouse hunting. My only experience with steel so far has been on ducks and geese.

I suppose 6 shot is the best we can get for grouse? Can I even find 6 shot steel at a place like Gander Mtn or Fleet Farm? There is no 7 1/2 shot in steel is there?

Also, would 2 3/4 inch shells be preferable to 3 inch?

I don’t have time to pattern our guns. What is the conventional wisdom on choke for 6 shot steel at grouse?

Any suggestions are appreciated…

Honest John

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Its out there somewhere. There is a demand for it consideing WMA’s all require non toxic shot for bird hunting, and even some trap/skeet ranges have non toxic shot requirements across the country.

I dont know where to suggest to look, but I suspect if you call around to Cabelas, [censored], Gander, or Fleet Farm… someone should have something.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Its out there somewhere. There is a demand for it consideing WMA’s all require non toxic shot for bird hunting, and even some trap/skeet ranges have non toxic shot requirements across the country.

I dont know where to suggest to look, but I suspect if you call around to Cabelas, [censored], Gander, or Fleet Farm… someone should have something.

timmy

Why the steel req? Just windering if it was a legality issue, or if you just plan on shooting it for your own reasons. If legal, I would definately shoot lead.

If not, the cheapest lead through the most open choke would probably be fine. Grouse die easy.

Tim

timmy

Why the steel req? Just windering if it was a legality issue, or if you just plan on shooting it for your own reasons. If legal, I would definately shoot lead.

If not, the cheapest lead through the most open choke would probably be fine. Grouse die easy.

Tim

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No experience since I never have to use it but grouse go down pretty easy so it cant be a big deal. I just read a post on here last week about DNR steel shot test for pheasant. Overwhelmingly they advocated #2 for pheasant so maybe #4 would be a better choice for grouse? Why are using steel?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No experience since I never have to use it but grouse go down pretty easy so it cant be a big deal. I just read a post on here last week about DNR steel shot test for pheasant. Overwhelmingly they advocated #2 for pheasant so maybe #4 would be a better choice for grouse? Why are using steel?

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

A couple of you have asked WHY steel. Good question. The answer is only mildly complicated. We will be hunting for grouse on our own land–swampy prime duck habitat. My youngest son (24) and my oldest (33) have both decided they will use steel shot in order to be “good stewards of the land.” I respect their views and choose not to argue the point. (One of my middle sons takes no position and will shoot whatever we decide.) Furthermore, we could have a chance to jump shoot some ducks. If I understand the law correctly, we cannot even possess lead shot if we hunt any ducks along the way. For these reasons I have decided to decree that my friends and guests must all use steel shot. This will, of course, include me.

Thanks for the input.

John

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

A couple of you have asked WHY steel. Good question. The answer is only mildly complicated. We will be hunting for grouse on our own land–swampy prime duck habitat. My youngest son (24) and my oldest (33) have both decided they will use steel shot in order to be “good stewards of the land.” I respect their views and choose not to argue the point. (One of my middle sons takes no position and will shoot whatever we decide.) Furthermore, we could have a chance to jump shoot some ducks. If I understand the law correctly, we cannot even possess lead shot if we hunt any ducks along the way. For these reasons I have decided to decree that my friends and guests must all use steel shot. This will, of course, include me.

Thanks for the input.

John

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I believe that is correct on the law John.

I think the General Rule of thumb is 2 size difference from Steel to Lead. So, # 2 Steel is like using #4 lead. and #6 Steel would be like #8 lead. Although in my opinion it is more like 3-4 size difference. Steel is lighter and does not penetrate as well I believe is the main differnce in shooting. We all know the difference of using lead over or near our water systems vs. steel.

Good luck John and my hats off to your family for concern and stewards of our watershed.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I believe that is correct on the law John.

I think the General Rule of thumb is 2 size difference from Steel to Lead. So, # 2 Steel is like using #4 lead. and #6 Steel would be like #8 lead. Although in my opinion it is more like 3-4 size difference. Steel is lighter and does not penetrate as well I believe is the main differnce in shooting. We all know the difference of using lead over or near our water systems vs. steel.

Good luck John and my hats off to your family for concern and stewards of our watershed.

pahaarstad
    metro

You can find steel in #6 and #7 in The winchester X pert. Gander Mountain has them. I just got some from them. If you are hunt on a Federal Refues you can to shoot steel. Most WPA you have to shoot steel too. A lot of the game farm are startting to make you shoot it too.

pahaarstad
    metro

You can find steel in #6 and #7 in The winchester X pert. Gander Mountain has them. I just got some from them. If you are hunt on a Federal Refues you can to shoot steel. Most WPA you have to shoot steel too. A lot of the game farm are startting to make you shoot it too.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Thanks for the input.

John

I aplaud all of you for the effort.

And yes you are correct. If any waterfowl are in posession there should be no lead in the hunting party.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Thanks for the input.

John

I aplaud all of you for the effort.

And yes you are correct. If any waterfowl are in posession there should be no lead in the hunting party.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I have found #7 steel 1 oz. shot 2 3/4 inch in the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Fleet Farm is where I found it. I agree that lead has more knock down power, but steel is very fast, and inside 30 yards with the #7’s it is just as deadly. I am a duck hunter, but on opening morning in my little wood duck haunt I use #7’s and have no problems killing them out to 30 yards.

If you are planning on jumping a pond in your area I would bring some bigger steel along, you will probably be using an improved cylinder, and I would switch out to 3 inch #2’s when I get close to the pond.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I have found #7 steel 1 oz. shot 2 3/4 inch in the Federal Duck and Pheasant load. Fleet Farm is where I found it. I agree that lead has more knock down power, but steel is very fast, and inside 30 yards with the #7’s it is just as deadly. I am a duck hunter, but on opening morning in my little wood duck haunt I use #7’s and have no problems killing them out to 30 yards.

If you are planning on jumping a pond in your area I would bring some bigger steel along, you will probably be using an improved cylinder, and I would switch out to 3 inch #2’s when I get close to the pond.

pop

GRAF’S HAS A SHOOTING CATALOG AND HAS FIOCCHI STEEL IN 7

pop

GRAF’S HAS A SHOOTING CATALOG AND HAS FIOCCHI STEEL IN 7

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.